SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seniorballoon

Anyone interested in a PNW Plant swap?

SeniorBalloon
last year
last modified: last year

Doesn't look like there's been one in quite a while. I remember going to a few many years ago and it was a great fun way to meet people and get a few new plants.

I"m thinking early Spring? If there's enough interest we can figure out a location.

SB

Comments (59)

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    last year

Hmm, it won't let me add "The Kitchen Table" as a tag when I edit the post. Other than making another post, is there a way to tag it in this thread?

• Related Discussions

Anyone Interested in Fall Plant Swap?

Q

Comments (28)
    Susan, the Formosa lilies are blooming now. Michelle said you wanted seeds. Would a plant(s) be better? Michelle has the plant you wanted. I'll bring it too for you. Michelle won't be ableto make it as little Christopher, now 6, plays football every saturday morning. Did Chris see anything she wanted? Does anyone want the wild phlox that were on the side of the house? Oh, still getting baby toads if ya'll want some!! :O) Lynn
    ...See More

Is anyone interested in a spring plant swap?

Q

Comments (21)
    I live in Wappingers Falls and I went to a plant swap in CT last spring. I would love to have a plant swap in Dutchess County, with the cost of gas these days! I've got lots of campanula, gaillardia and some asters to swap. Probably more things as time goes on. If there is a Dutchess County swap, please give details. The one I went to in CT was very casual -- people came and put their plants to swap on tables. Everyone browsed for awhile and took what they wanted. It was hosted by a nursery, who provided meats (hamburgs and hot dogs) and buns. Everyone else brought side dishes and desserts. It was so fun and relaxing. I've seen other plant swaps listed where they have "rounds" where you pick a certain amount of plants, depending on how many you bring. I think it would work either way; I really enjoyed the one I went to, though, because it didn't feel like any "plant police," it was just fellow plant lovers trading away their extras with no strings attached.
    ...See More

Is Anyone Interested in a Potluck/Plant Swap in Portland?

Q

Comments (30)
    I just think it would be fun to meet other local gardeners. None of my friends or family locally are into gardening much. I always have extra plants. Our climate is so unique it is great to have this forum and since we all like to talk about gardening online, I'm sure we'd like to talk about gardening in person too. ;) I've belonged to an online pond forum for many years and have met many members in person and it is such fun. I've traveled up to Vancouver BC twice for get togethers and hosted one here last summer. Met others on vacations around the US too. Thought folks on this forum might enjoy a get together too.
    ...See More

Anyone interested in a plant Swap?

Q

Comments (4)
    There will be a check in table set up and someone will assign a ticket per plant - usually 1 ticket for a 3-4" pot, 2 tickets for 1 gallon, etc. The plants will be put on tables according to sun, shade, inside then you just select the plants you want and "check out" by paying with your tickets for your new plants.
    ...See More
  • SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    last year

@spswash "

"I will post a list of things to bring to save any cuttings that are shared. Nothing fancy, just stuff that everyone has at home."

Does this mean we can take cuttings from our gardens, bring them to the swap for people to try to root? How long after a cutting has been taken from the pant can you wait until it must be put in a rooting medium?

In my own rooting attempts I always do it immediately. Last year we had a garden tour gathering/cuttings party. Some cuttings were collected during the tour, and others were brought from peoples gardens. The latter were several hours old by the time we returned to pot things up. They were kept moist and wrapped up out of the sun. I did not have great success from this event. Who knows why, but only one hydrangea and one blueberry put out roots. Those two are in the greenhouse now and I hope they have survived the winter. We shall see.

I do hope this comes together as I look forward to seeing other peoples techniques. You can only glean so much from reading or watching YouTube videos.

• spswash
    last year

SB, I think we should include cuttings - but hopefully with identification of the plant that the cuttings were taken, Fresh cuttings are good, but some held over for a few hours should not cause a rooting issue. At least I have found that true. I have used cuttings that laid in the driveway for a couple of days and they did strike (root). Years ago, I took tip cuttings in early spring, used powdered rooting hormone, heat mat, perlite medium, covers and misting. Strike % about 90%. A lot of work and time to accomplish. All of these are processes for commercial growers and I am a home gardener. It was much easier to use my method and make more cuttings to make up for the ones that croaked!`

SeniorBalloon thanked spswash
  • spswash
    last year

Sorry, forgot to add the hormone that I use.

DIP 'N GROW. Have used both the liquid and power interchangeably.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sounds good to me, I'm game to try anything. I think my lack of success had as much to do with my rooting medium and general treatment than that they weren't potted quickly.

This year I did set up a misting system, nothing to complex. Not sure if it helped with this years cuttings and only time will tell.

I want to add some bottom heat eventually.

I can also bring some rooting medium and pots if anyone needs some.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    last year

It sounds interesting and a great chance to meet new friends. I'm a novice gardener and just started my garden in 2020. I mostly grow roses (about 170 varieties now), but don't have any perennial mature enough to divide yet.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    last year

170 roses in 2 1/2 years sounds like a lot of gardening. :o), I'd say everyone is welcome even if you don't have much or anything to swap this year.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I'd love to come and meet some people (after all these years) but its 120 miles so would take some planning. A few years ago I would have had plenty to swap. I don't have the same garden now, and many of my special Heronswood type things that thrived just a few blocks away haven't been happy here. I have clay with many many roots - lots of the landscaping was put in circa 1955. The three vintage cherry are charming but the roots are everywhere, and if I cut them out, they grow right back. Then there is the heavy deer pressure, they are a daily presence in this yard and there doesn't seem to be a good way to deer fence it - wide drive in front where I can't gate out the delivery people, mail carrier, friends, steep in the back (like caulk boot steep), and an acre. Between the different conditions and my Mom needing so much attention these last few years, I've kind of lost my gardening mojo ;) I'd like to get it back, am not ruling out a swap meet.

SeniorBalloon thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • spswash
    last year

morz8, come and graze my garden for something that will survive in your garden. People will bring plants and not expect to trade - just want to share. It will be fun and we look forward to sharing your experiences.

• Rick
    last year

I am one of those people that would just bring plants and not want anything in return. We're looking at moving to a smaller place in a few years so I'm starting to clear some things out. I would bring a few citrus trees, a fig, adenium, chestnut seedlings and other stuff. But some of these are pretty large, a person would need a pickup truck to bring them home so I'm not sure that would work.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    last year

I have a truck and a bad back :o), but you never know who might show up and what they're into. I say bring them.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    last year

Bumping to keep this visible. End of May or early June perhaps? What time frame are people thinking about?

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    last year

We have a family member coming in June so May is more convenient for me.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    last year

When we get a little closer we will pick some dates and see what works best for most people. Your family member would certainly be welcome. :o)

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    12 months ago

May is upon us and perhaps we should start to nail down a day. I am not available the last weekend in May, but any time in June works for me. We should hear from @spswash as they have generously offered their garden to host.

• spswash
    12 months ago

June works for us. Please make some suggestions and we can start to nail down a date.

Time: 11:00 to 4:00 or 12:00 to 3:00 is a good time frame - gives driving time for some. Pot luck lunch and plant exchange will make it a full day. We are in Shoreline, WA and just across from the Shoreline Community College. Kids welcome too but the garden in on several levels and not safe for toddlers. But they are welcome as long as they are watched. Older kids will love exploring the Boeing Ravine behind the garden.

I will send some photos later.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 months ago

I will be there with bells on, even though I have nothing to swap :-)) I am coming for the social aspect and to see my best gardening buddy and dear friend, Shirley. It's been far too long!!!

Come to think, I will have something to swap but will only bring if requested. I need to do my annual thinning of my patch of gooseneck loosestrife and will share with whoever might like. But read up on it first - this plant should come with a warning label!

• Starry PNW Zone 8b
    12 months ago

Weekends are filling up fast, but I hope to make it, too!

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I will throw out June 17th and 24th. Saturdays work best for my schedule as I work during the week and do like to be home on Sunday to prep, but I can be flexible as this is worth it.

• spswash
    12 months ago

Let's call it a Social/Swap! lol Everyone is welcome and the swap part will be a bonus.

• spswash
    12 months ago

My daughter will be visiting on July 1 and would love to meet you all and be part of the GardenWeb family! The hydrangeas will be fabulous then and the date works beautifully for us. Comments Please

• spswash
    12 months ago

I hope that July 1 works out. My daughter will be here and is a great help in the kitchen as well as the garden. She is looking forward to the get-to-gether. Do we want to declare dishes for the potluck or just have people bring one dish? I am always amazed when dishes are not declared and the variety that arrives. I will provide plastic plates, forks, cups and knives and napkins. Also iced tea, coffee and water. I will also make tabouli and chicken salad along with baked stuff. We are always open to suggestions and your favs.

Home cooked, deli or even Costco, it will all be delicious and fun to share.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I am available July 1st. My only concern is it being a holiday weekend, and people may be going out of town. I am definitely up for a pot luck. Will ruminate on what to bring.

• spswash
    11 months ago

Hi Everyone, My daughter had to change her plans so we could change the date for the Swap/Get together. End of June or later in July. Senior, a later date would probably be easier for traffic. Please let us all know what you think.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I am very flexible. If we go into July sometime after the 8th, so the 15th would also be a good date. As I write this I think the July time frame is best as June is upon us and it gives people time to plan.

• spswash
    11 months ago

July works for me! Please chime in for possible good dates. Sat. or Sun?

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I prefer a Saturday as I work and it's nice to have Sunday at home. My choices would be July 15th or the 22nd.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 months ago

Either date in July works for me. Much better than the first, as holiday ferry traffic will be at its usual backup and no doubt experiencing delays. Sometimes I feel trapped on this island!!

Would appreciate any suggestions for the potluck contribution....... 😊

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Since we haven't seem any objections to these days, let's set it for July 22nd, Noon to 3ish, for a swap and pot luck.

I'll bring some kind if cold chicken. Other suggestions would be potato salad, and or a green salad.

Some of the plants I plan to bring:

American Rose

Darlowe's Enigma (rose)

Westerland (rose)

Lacecap Hydrangea (unknown cultivar from Heronswood)

Variegated Mockorange

Duetzia scabra variegata

Ligularia Othello seedlings

Variegated hosta (unknown cultivar)

I'll probably pot up a few other perennials from our garden as well.

I'll also bring some pots, rooting medium and rooting hormone for those that want to try making some cuttings.

If this sits a few more days with no objections I'll cross post this to the other threads.

Look forward to sharing plants and meeting some new people.

SB

For cuttings

• Starry PNW Zone 8b
    10 months ago

This sounds wonderful. I would love to bring something too. Any links on what I can divide and how to divide/ propogate? Is it ok to bring kids? (In case I need to pop over between activities.)

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@Starry PNW Zone 8b You can divide anything that is clumping, such as hosta, or a ground cover that spreads like Oxalis. You just need to get enough of the root I have even done it with Clematis. I would recommend that you pot up divisions when you take them.

I'm sure others may have even more suggestions, as well as google/youtube is full of tutorials.

@spswash Mentioned that kids would be ok, but that the garden is on multiple levels and might not be good for toddlers.

• spswash
    10 months ago

Here is a link to a good site that explains how to divide. Don't make it more complicated than necessary! lol Dig, divide and replant and water. That is it. Keep new babies out of sun and they will recover quickly.

https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/dividing-perennials

• spswash
    10 months ago

We got a date!! July 22nd, Noon to 3ish, for a swap and pot luck. I will do a salad, pasta salad, and bake a lemon pound cake and some cookies. Please let me know if there are any dietary restrictions. We will also provide water, Ice tea and coffee for those who request. Please bring your favorite beer or wine if you want to have some. I will also have paper plates, cups and utensils. Other suggestions - soda pop, chips, ice cream, green salad, potato salad for some ideas.

We are at the top of the Boeing Ravine and it is perfect for adventurous teens and preteens. Little people need to be with parents if they want to go exploring.

We are looking forward to meeting everyone in person! I will send map and directions closer to the date, or when requested.

• Starry PNW Zone 8b
    10 months ago

Thanks for the division tips! I didnt have much success last year, but I think it was from underestimating how much I would need to water and baby the babies. That’s gardening, though- lots of experimentation and learning by doing. Hope to see everyone in July.

• spswash
    10 months ago

Hi All,

July is almost here and we should firm up the plans for the July 22nd, Noon to 3ish, for the swap and pot luck!

Cold chicken is spoken for and I will make a vegetarian pasta salad and bake carrot cake, brownies, cookies and ? lol Will also provide some iced tea and sodas. Ideas for additional dishes could include veggie platter, fruit, green salad, chips and dip and other drinks. We have paper plates and cups and utensils. Any other ideas? For those who are not sure about rooting cuttings, you can dig up stuff the same day or day before and water generously, wrap in heavy plastic and we can divide here and take home pieces.

Please let us know who is interested. I will email directions to the house.

Going to be a fun day!

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi spswash, I am a bit reluctant to post an email address directly, I've seen them coded so let's try this- my email is brian numeralzero silvey at gmail dot com, no spaces. If this doesn't work we could do it via DM's here on Garden web. it looks like your DM's are not open, which I can understand if you are reluctant to do that. We'll figure it out one way or another.

As I said up thread I can bring some rooting medium, pots and some rooting hormone. Along with the plants I've listed I'll also bring some cuttings from plants that are in a good state to root.

SB

• spswash
    10 months ago

Senior - DM is a great idea and I used it long ago. I don't remember how to change my profile. Can you help me? Searched the profile pages and could not find where to change.

Thanks

You can direct mail me at shirley dot sidell at gmail dot com

• Starry PNW Zone 8b
    10 months ago

l’ll be there and will be bringing chips and dip!

SeniorBalloon thanked Starry PNW Zone 8b
  • SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@spswash Apparently you have to be following someone to message them. I just followed you and the Message option showed up.

• spswash
    10 months ago

Thanks for the info SB. I have a new email that we can use for the swap. Please use this and I will send directions next week to everyone who is interested. It is not a commitment but will get us started.

Here is the direct email: spswagarden@gmail.com

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago

^^^ I'm not sure that's true :-) I don't follow anyone and I am able to message anyone that has that function enabled.

Shirley, I just checked and you want to go to Advanced Settings on your profile page. If you scroll down almost to the bottom there is a dropdown "who can message me" and that gives you several options (including 'users I follow', so that does come into play at least sometimes). Your message tab is showing so that feature IS enabled.

And I don't think I need directions :-)) I'll be bringing some food to share - not sure what yet - but no plants :-(

SeniorBalloon thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    9 months ago

The date is fast approaching, July 22nd. Bumping this so more people will see it.

Hope to see you there.

• rosaprimula
    9 months ago

Just wishing you all have a great day

SeniorBalloon thanked rosaprimula
  • Starry PNW Zone 8b
    9 months ago

Thank you for a fun and educational garden exchange. I learned so much and really appreciate spswash sharing their home and garden with us!

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    9 months ago

The swap was great fun. I want to thank spswash and her son for graciously sharing their home and their knowledge, excellent hosts, and everyone for sharing their plants. It was a special treat to meet GardenGal in person after chatting on the gweb for many, many years.

Here's a pic of the haul. Mostly cuttings of hydrangeas and hardy fuchsias, which only time will tell if they end up with a place in our garden and some very nice saxifrage.

SB

• spswash
    9 months ago

Thank you for the lovely comments about our garden and the preparations for the swap. It was a delightful day with lovely people and sharing so many plants and delicious dishes. It is our pleasure to be able to share our home and garden with all. Thank you everyone for driving on the super busy highways today to get to our house. It was a great day.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 months ago

What a wonderful afternoon!! Many, many thanks to my dear buddy sps for hosting and sharing her gorgeous, hydrangea filled garden. And what a pleasure to meet some other local GW'ers......it's always good to be able to place a face to name :-)) Good people, good food, great plants - what better way to spend a sunny afternoon!!

And I didn't have to wait 3 hours for the Edmonds ferry!! Was only about a 40 minute delay.

SeniorBalloon thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • spswash
    17 days ago

Bump! Senior can you please email me? We can take more cuttings to replace the ones you lost. I think the rot was because the plants were over-watered.

I can't fine your emai.

sps