SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kalpana_singhal

Solar panel requirement for final inspection

last year

We are close to completion of our project and planning to have a final electrical, plumbing and hvac inspection in next 1-2 weeks.

We fall under santa clara county unincorporated area and by county's code we were a rebuild (not new construction). Recently while reviewing my Title 24 sheets in approved plan, I found we have a table which indicates we need Solar to be Title 24 compliant.

Other than this table, Solar is not mentioned anywhere in our plans. Also when I asked the architect who submitted our plans (and also coordinated with title 24), initially they said because we are rebuild, Solar is not a requirement for us. But when I asked specifically about the table, they check with title 24 and they confirmed for Title 24 State code overrides local city/county codes and by state code we are a new construction hence Solar is a requirement.

My question is if the inspector fails our final inspection due to this requirement, can we still movein to the house and once Solar panels are installed (which can take 3-4 months because all Solar companies are super busy), call for final inspection again.

I am not sure if move in to the house without final inspection approved will result in any penalties.

Comments (4)