SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redberryfarm

Help! Any ideas for adding curb appeal to this small house?

This cute little house has potential, but I just can't see just how to fix it for more curb appeal on a small budget -

The front of the house has the bay window and front door into the living room, and the small window is over the stairs going to the basement,( from the side entry door landing, which also has a door to the kitchen... ie: cannot be made to match the bay in window profile) The unsymmetrical height brick partial walls could be painted, and the side door 'deck' entry could be tied into the front entry somehow. (No budget for a new porch, cool as that would be...) The window next to the side entry has been replaced with a double hung window.

The wagon wheels are from the family farm, and have special meaning... but could be placed in the landscape better.

Landscaping around the front needs to be very budget friendly and low maintenance...

I do not even know what style house this is, or what the front gable/roofline is even called to do a before and after search online... ( double help!)

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated. 💕

Comments (27)

• tfitz1006
    last year

Without the brick it would be nicely proportioned and is a very sweet house.

Red Berry Farm thanked tfitz1006
  • Bette P
    last year

If the brick is staying, I’d paint out the brick to match your colour choice for the body of the house. I’d do a search choosing compact house, gable roof on Houzz photos. Or compact house and choose the color you are leaning to. Your roof color gives you lots of options. I’m partial to a sage green/grey.

Keep any shrubs or plantings below the window sill height. If you lean the wagon wheels, group them in odd numbers and vary the size. Maybe plant geraniums or begonias in front of them. Or a clematis vine or climbing rose if you attach them to a wall? Planting zone?

Red Berry Farm thanked Bette P
  • Related Discussions

Please help with curb appeal for small Florida house

Q

Comments (6)
    As a part time resident, I'm guessing you look forward to a tropical get-away, with minimal maintenance. I would recommend the following low maintenance plants to look great year round: Hope Philodendron with Heliconia or Purple Queen would be a fun tropical look. Plumbego or Copper plant would make a simple, yet colorful low hedge-row if you prefer a more uniform semi-structured feel. Lantana, Dwarf bougainvillea or Fountain Grasses are some other hardy, easy-going yet colorful foundation plants that you can enjoy for years, then supplement with annuals while you are here. Enjoy!
    ...See More

Help with curb appeal- making 1950's small house look more modern

Q

Comments (20)
    I think this house (already is really cute, and) would look great in a stark white/black combo or even off-black/black combo. I love shrubs but this one is big enough that the scale looks odd to me. You CAN rejuvenation prune it and see what happens. Or remove it go with the some spiky grasses, cast iron plants, a blue-green hosta, or if your climate allows, even snake plants. I think all of those would look great. I don't see colorful flowers in front of this one. And just for good measure, that house is so cute!
    ...See More

Curb appeal help with small porch on Ranch house

Q

Comments (6)
    Not a Pro. What a great home! Love @Beverly ideas for your home. I would not paint the brick. Your home colors work. After you make those small changes, work on your landscaping. That will be where your colors should come in on this home.
    ...See More

Any ideas on increasing the curb appeal of our pictured house?

Q

Comments (6)
    Very cool house! Your view of course and location is worth the effort of painting. To enhance the architecture of the house, paint the house and trim the same color. I would suggest a fairly dark slate blue. Then the shape of the house would be unified and nestled into the landscape as it was originally designed to do. The contrast with your reddish roof would be nice. A nice extra large entrance "waterhog" mat at your front door in a dark blue to cover the concrete in front of the door would be useful. Your front door could go brick red, or navy blue. You could have one bench or chair to the right of your door. Keep your landscaping simple around the front door. Maybe a water feature or bird bath with day lilies around it or some other easy perennial. Line your walkway with low growing plants and keep them uniform. You could scatter some pots around the back with flowers of your choice.
    ...See More
  • Bette P
    last year

Pics

Red Berry Farm thanked Bette P
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

The line of the brick is too high on the face of the house like these trousers.

The proportions would be better if the brick was lower and the windows larger.

Red Berry Farm thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

I know, right? Who did this exterior in the first place?! LOL

Taking down the brick would help, but then siding is needed there. (Well, a LOT of things are needed, ha!...) I would like to paint the brick to disappear (well, then the siding needs painting, too... and power washing)... add some shrubs or something low maintenance in the front (this is a friend's house)... that has edging to easily mow around, etc.

A lot of times I can 'see' what needs doing, but this house exterior has got me totally blank without a clue ...

• Sigrid
    last year

If the brick is a veneer and replacing it with clapboards is in the budget, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'd get some shrubs for the foundation. I'm fond of broadleaf evergreens (rhodos, azaleas, mt. laurel). The wagon wheels might pop more from a green background.

Red Berry Farm thanked Sigrid
  • tfitz1006
    last year

If you can't easily remove the bricks, paint the same color as the house and landscape in front. Would look fine.

Red Berry Farm thanked tfitz1006
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Don't paint the brick. The difference in textures means that the siding and the brick will not match, and it will just look 'off'.

Landscaping, landscaping, landscaping. That is all this house really needs. Reveal a location, and which direction the house faces, and we can help.

Red Berry Farm thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    last year

Here are a few suggestions:

Red Berry Farm thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all of the helpful comments and photos! 😍

The front door and bay window side face East, the deck door side faces South.

Lots of trees, corner lot.

Zone 4 b... ( is my guess... not my house, trying to keep it private somewhat)

My friend is as basic as one can be, ( what a house looks like landscaping wise, is not a priority ) so slow growing evergreen shrubs would be best for the corners.

The darker gray deck, (and shutters) ,white house, and 'pink' brick does look good.

• houssaon
    last year

Cute house! I would get rid of the bay window. Then paint the entire house one color. I like the greens suggested. Finally landscape.

Red Berry Farm thanked houssaon
  • Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

The bay window was especially wanted by my friend for indoor plants, and was installed when moved in...so that stays.

Painting the house sounds great to me, but remember that my friend has zero priority to putting money into painting what is 'good enough siding that works'. The lawn gets mowed, My friend simply is not gifted to visualize things, nor to see that 'something is off'.

(Think 'Yankee frugal' - and if it isn't broke, don't fix it. )

I appreciate the suggestions, though!

• mick50
    last year

Did your friend ask for design help or are you just imagining what this house might be? Sounds like the friend doesn't want to change anything!

Red Berry Farm thanked mick50
  • Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

They asked me for interior help, which is where the current priorities are at. (Kitchen) My mind keeps going throughout the whole place for all the possibilities... just for a vision in case they would be interested in doing more. They approach change very very slowly... but if I have some photos to show as what is possible... going in stages (landscape a few things...then shutters.... ) things go quite well. I am here doing 'research'. 😅

• simplynatural
    last year
    last modified: last year

One more thought:

Widening the side door deck a little could make a nice spot to sit. (The one railing is off already, so there's a head start!) The landscaping shown is all low maintenance, as long as evergreens with smaller mature size are chosen. Bobo hydrangeas, astilbe, and vinca minor need virtually nothing. Vinca shouldn't be planted where it can escape into woods, but contained it's okay, and no edging is needed, just mowing around it is enough. All are hardy in zone 4. (Photo also shows widened walks, but I'm probably already outstripping willingness to spend!)

Red Berry Farm thanked simplynatural
  • Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

Love the renderings - thank you. Yes, at least there is a vision now, and one never knows how far towards it they will venture ...

• Iri
    last year

An odder suggestion: experiment (with Photoshop, not nails) hanging the wheels on the extra high brick, and on the siding over it, and maybe elsewhere, to see if it can help with overall balance of brick to siding to window.

Evening out the brick color by toughing up the dark ones only is perfectly acceptable if they look off in person. Can't tell what the texture is on these, but especially if they are the slightly whitewashed ones, then dabbing white on the dark ones won't cause any maintenance issues in the future. (The worst thing that could happen is that they return to their original color).

Red Berry Farm thanked Iri
  • Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

Great ideas. I do not have Photoshop. (Sounds complicated to learn...) Paint dabbing some bricks sounds doable, as does adding some landscaping, at least starting with under/around that small window, connecting to the side porch.

I found a picture of bolted together wagon wheels, and wheels incorporated into the landscape ... other than just propped up against the house or a tree. (Like there was a wagon accident at some time, and the wheels went flying off... rolling to a stop against the house here and there...😂)

• Akhilesh Joshi
    last year

I was exploring some ideas, and here are them. Includes some consideration of garden styles like Evergreen, Rock-Garden, and Pollinator-Friendly.

Red Berry Farm thanked Akhilesh Joshi
  • partim
    last year

The location of the brick is odd, i.e. just added to the front of the house, especially with the uneven heights. The house looks lopsided and as if it has been badly patched. And although I am a big fan of brick in almost every shade, that brick is a very unattractive colour and pattern.

Every single mock-up above, no matter how beautifully and expensively landscaped, would look better with the brick painted the same colour as the rest of the house.

Shrubs will hide much of the brick. Use the wagon wheels in front of the shrubs or elsewhere in the landscaping. Larger house numbers and a larger front light are practical and more in proportion to the house.

Red Berry Farm thanked partim
  • Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Partim... yes, I would agree painted would be best as this small section of brick would be very doable for upkeep. This house, I believe, was built as a HUD house... and my friend bought it as-is, and made the bay addition as well as having inside work done. That wonky brick discrepancy makes one just shake their head in 'what they were thinking?', right?

Larger house numbers... yes... and landscaping!!!

I will show my friend this rendition, it is much appreciated.

• Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

Wow! Akhilesh Joshi ... those look amazing! My friend is very visual, and will appreciate all what you have done. ..yet think LOW, LOW maintenance. ( mowing, watering, some random weeding...)

The house is situated on a corner, with no sidewalks, and that front door 'walkway' ends in the yard someplace. 🙄 There are large bushes on the lot line on the side of the house... look more like lilacs, perhaps? That front pathway is not used, unless access would be rerouted around to the garage side of the house pathways, where all of the foot traffic goes.

Would they sink $8,000- $20,000 into landscaping?! (All that brick and pathways, it would have to be professionally done to have it look good) Um... more like $20 - $2,000... maybe (BIG maybe).

Inside update to that front room... now has some blinds and curtains. 😊

• partim
    last year

Do you feel comfortable telling us closest big city to where the house is located? We can give you some ideas for landscaping that don't cost the earth (pun intended). Depending on where you are, during planting season (early spring in 4B) there are good deals on the common types of evergreen shrubs. Those would look best across the front of the house, all year. You don't need to get things that are expensive or exotic. "Garden variety" yews (for shade) or Juniper (for sun) is fine and you can find them on sale at the big box stores in early spring. Look closely at the tag to be sure you get something that won't get too large. Before you buy, check how many hours of sun you get where you are planting.

Choose shrubs that will be happy with the amount of water and light they will get in that spot. Don't plant them too close together even though they're small. Plant far enough from the house that they will be a foot away from it at maturity (although this will look weird at first). Look at the tag and space them accordingly. Planting too close together is a waste of money and you'll have to move them or prune them later if you do. To me it looks like you need about 7-8 evergreen shrubs, which won't break the bank.

When shrubs are small, I plant white sweet alyssum all over as a living ground cover between them. Cheaper than mulch, looks great, and reseeds itself every year. Tiny roots so easy to remove if you want to get rid of it. As the shrubs get larger they will cover it. If you want something taller against the house before the shrubs are mature, cosmos are so pretty. Again, inexpensive and readily available as tiny plants at the garden center in spring.

As far as flowers, maybe in front of the shrubs, there are lots of ways to do that economically too. Some of my favourites come up from seed every year (white alyssum, bachelor's buttons, calendula) or are perennials where I have received cuttings from friends.

Unless you need more pathyways functionally, I wouldn't add more hardscaping if budget is a concern.

As far as edging, some types are a big pain for mowing. My preference is to just take a spade and dig straight down to make a little trough. Re-do it early spring and mid summer. You can mow right up to it. If you like you can use a weed-eater to trim it, or a pair of garden shears. Free and looks good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgqBC4EIxQ

• Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

Super advice. (Great how-to video - thank you!)

Since it isn't my house, just say it is in northern Michigan, but not in the 'U.P.'.

When I checked, it was zone 4b.

• partim
    last year

This looks like a great resource. https://www.canr.msu.edu/home_gardening/

I'm in Toronto Canada and gradually digging up my lawn and putting in native plants. Every spring I dig up another little section.

Native plants are so much less work than my lawn, and they spread like crazy. My 2 big successes are first the Canadian columbine, which blooms beautifully in spring, then the seed pods are interesting all year with the birds showing an interest in the seeds even in the winter. And the Black Eyed Susans which bloom forever and spread very easily from division or from seeds.

• Red Berry Farm
    Original Author
    last year

Great idea for natives. Love Black Eyed Susans ... (love about any perennial that thrives.) They have some daylilies, a climbing rose, and some other bushes around the small property. They put in a small veggie garden, and have a nice fire pit.

I could give them white yarrow and some medicinal herbs... not sure if they'd use those or not...but don't see them all that often, as it is a 3 hour drive away. When I do get to visit... it is usually a 'power projects' full day.