January 2023 - What are you reading?
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (77)
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Discussions
What are you reading? February 2023 Edition
Comments (79)I read The Personal Librarian and really enjoyed it. What an amazing story and a good read. I do kind of wonder if Marie Benedict is such a good writer, or is it because the lives of those women she writes about are so fasinating- kind of the chicken or the egg. Either way I like reading her books. I gave it 4 stars. I also did read Foster, which I enjoyed but also felt was not quite complete and sure did end abruptly. My book club met yesterday to discuss Anxious People, and the vast majority maybe 12 ,loved it. There was one other like me who was kind of in the middle about it ( 3 stars ) and 2 women who said they couldn't finish it and gave up....See MoreApril 2023...What are you reading ?
Comments (68)I finished Homecoming by well-regarded Australian author Kate Morton. I then went to check if I had read any others of hers, and found my assessment of The Forgotten Garden (aka The House at Riverton) which concluded 'I don't think I will bother with any more'!! It was an interesting story about a 40-ish Australian woman living in London who flies home to Sydney after her grandmother, who brought her up, had a fall. She is an investigative journalist who finds out about a tragedy in her family's past, but in doing research on the internet, finds there was a book written at the time about it, and gleans all her information from that. Of the main characters, the grandmother was a bully who considered everything had to be done her way, the mother was a cipher for most of the book, and the journalist character was OK. The mystery was done well. However, the author had done a lot of research, and the reader was made to pay. There was so much extraneous information, long descriptions of the birds, the trees, the weather and so on. But most annoying were the factual mistakes, many of which should have been avoided by the above-mentioned research. Since part of the book was set in the Adelaide Hills near where I live, I picked up on them, but I suppose the out-of-town reader wouldn't have noticed. I also finished listening to the wonderful House of Niccolo books by Dorothy Dunnett....See MoreMay 2023 -- What are you reading?
Comments (59)Just finished Tomorrow will be a Good Day by Captain Sir Tom Moore (although he wasn't a 'Sir' when he wrote it as he was knighted by the late Queen after the book was written) He came to prominence during the Covid crisis when he raised a huge amount of money for an NHS charity (approx. £32 million in, I believe less than a month) by walking 'laps' around his garden . . . at the age of one hundred, having recently broken his hip. The book follows what appears an 'ordinary' life. Brought up in Yorkshire with a keen interest in things 'mechanical' (cars motor bikes etc) which stood him in good stead during WWII where he served in a Tank Regiment out in India and Burma. Perhaps the most difficult aspects of his long life was his first marriage to a woman who would never let him touch her. A psychiatrist so-called helped her by getting her to run-away with him . .. a happier second marriage followed but this woman also developed serious mental-health problems. Despite these setbacks he remained positive always holding true to his motto 'Tomorrow will be a good day'. Short Video about Sir Tom Moore...See MoreWhat are you reading? September 2023 Edition
Comments (81)i read The Stolen Marriage ( Diane Chamberlain) for book club. I was going to pass because it just didn't seem like my type of book, and the past few I've read have been really duds. Anyway it was available on kindle from the library so I tried it. I was so pleased at what a good read it was. It really drew me in and each time I read, I'd start to take a break and then think, well, maybe one more chapter. It was a very good mystery, historical fiction, romance, etc. All the things. It was a very "easy read" in that it was effortless to stick with it. There's definitely a lot to discuss, and the historical parts of it were very interesting. ( for starters, the polio epidemic, as well as WW2 and race relations in the south). I would have given 5 stars, but to me the ending was a bit forced and the few improbable pieces began to bother me more. So, I'd give it 4 stars but high 4 stars. I still would recommend it and am glad I read it....See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSWhat Will We Want in Our Landscapes in 2023?
Read 8 trends landscape designers predict for home gardens and outdoor living spaces this year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWWatch the 5 Most Popular Houzz TV Episodes of 2023
Take virtual tours of — and read about — the stylish homes featured in our most-watched Houzz TV videos of the year
Full Story
HOUZZ TV5 Home Design Trends on the Horizon in 2023
See and read how natural materials, modern rustic style and other design trends are expected to take off this year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 5 Most Popular Outdoor Makeovers of 2023
Get fresh ideas for a yard, patio or porch from these most-read outdoor remodeling stories of the year
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNWhat Will We Want in Our Landscapes in 2023?
Read 8 trends landscape designers predict for home gardens and outdoor living spaces this year
Full Story
NORTHEAST GARDENINGNortheast Gardener's January Checklist
Feed the bees, support local garden clubs and have fun with natives to get your garden looking its best in 2013
Full Story
REGIONAL GARDEN GUIDESCalifornia Gardener’s January Checklist
Here’s what to prune and plant now to spruce up the winter landscape and jump-start your garden for the year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 5 Most Popular Kitchen Tours of 2023
Get ideas for finishes, layouts, design styles and storage solutions from the most-viewed kitchen profiles of the year
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHome Pros Moderately Optimistic for 2023 After a Slow 2022
Most industry groups expect slow but continued growth, according to the 2023 U.S. Houzz State of the Industry report
Full Story0

LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS8 Design Trends From London’s Decorex 2023
See the ideas and innovations showcased at the October show
Full Story
yoyobon_gw