SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
penzio

Wet spots in new shower & more issues

Jo P.
last year

Hi there. Our master bath renovation was completed about two weeks ago, and I have some concerns that I would appreciate some advice on.

From far away, I think the shower looks great, but from up close, there are some aesthetic issues: The tile in the window (which they framed & installed) is wonky, the thin set was too thick on the side walls so the schlutter jolly wouldn't cover it all, the pebble floors are seamy (which I know is hard to avoid with pebble floors) but also not level (mostly only visible at night), and the grout is not the same color across the bathroom floor. All of these things I've been able to accept -- nothing's ever perfect, right?

But now that we've started using the shower, there are patches that stay wet for 12+ hours, and, if you shower again in that time, that resets the clock, so they'll never dry out unless we stop using the shower. (To note, there is some pooling where the seams aren't level, and I simply wipe those up with a towel after showering. However, the wet patches in the photo below can't be sopped up.)

I've read online that it's probably because it wasn't pre-sloped correctly so the water that makes its way through the grout/tiles, is pooling instead of going through the drain or weep holes. I'm worried that this will cause mold or other issues in the near future.

What can be done here? I've read that re-doing just the floor can compromise the waterproofing of the rest of the shower. But I cringe at the idea that we'd have to gut our brand new bathroom, which already took a lot of time and money.

We also have another bathroom that the contractor is supposed to start next week -- is it fair to ask them not to start on that bathroom until the previous one is fixed? And would you trust them to do another at all?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments (23)