SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stm25rs

What architecture style is this home?

stm25rs
last year
last modified: last year

What architectural style would this house be considered? Maybe traditional or craftsman?
It's on the waterfront (Chesapeake Bay) in Maryland if that makes any difference.

My fiancee and I are building a waterfront house with a similar design, and are working on our window selections. We'll be going with a seagrass (gray/green) horizontal vinyl siding - would have like hardy plank cedar shake, but that's out of our budget.

The front of the house (pictured) faces the street, the rear faces the water. The water facing windows will all be 1 on 1 to maximize the views, but we think we should do top sash muntins on the street side, and sides of the house, for some visual appeal. Trying to decide between 6 panel colonial top sash, vs 9-light prairie top sash, and also deciding between black or white grids. Trim would be white.

Comments (29)

• cpartist
    last year

No you don't make the front and sides different from the rear of the house. And if you're doing single or double hung, you'll still have the issue of the window breaking the view. Only way you won't is if you do casement.You keep it consistant.

BTW: If you decide to do muntins, realize that the majority of the time you'll be looking through your windows it will be the lower half anyway so the upper half won't distract from the view.

This house above doesn't have a particular style. It definitely is not craftsman.

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

We don't like casement windows and the crank open.

I understand what you're saying about single/double hung breaking the view, and agree that one mainly looks out the bottom of the window, but I don't think that changes the fact that top sash muntins break up the view more. Casement windows also seem to break up the horizontal view, with the trim between the windows. Sure, the window itself is one large pane, but they're narrower width wise.

For double hung, would you suggest doing 1 on 1 throughout?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

It does not have style.

Is there a reason living spaces are not on the first floor?

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

The house pictured is definitely builder grade, and lacking details that would make a big difference. We had actually looked at that lot when it was for sale early this year, but didn't like the neighborhood.

Water front = flood zone. For our lot, the flood protection elevation is 10.5 ft. All finished living spaces must be above that elevation, and the part of the lot where our house will sit is 4-5 ft elevation, so finished levels have to be elevated 6.5ft.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    last year

Only style is Builder Style.

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks roarah. For that low country cottage style, would prairie windows make sense at all?

Or do prairie windows work, at all, with double hungs? From most of what I've seen, prairie windows are more traditionally used for casement windows, is that correct?

• rockybird
    last year

If you have a long porch like in the photo, I would put large sliders and large floor to ceiling windows everywhere you can.

• roarah
    last year

I think traditionally, since the style was built before AC and they were designed to optimize cooling breezes that double hung windows are the most appropriate fit for a true low country home.

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

These are our elevation drawings. Small front entry-way deck, large rear deck with double sliders.

• Lyndee Lee
    last year

Don't mix window styles, either all or none with muntins 

The design in the windows shown isn't apparent at first glance so why go to all the expense for a design detail that barely shows?

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

Lyndee - I agree with your comment about the prairie style design not being very apparent, actually just made that same comment to my fiancee earlier today and she somewhat agreed.

I like the colonial top sash look, from the outside, but then it gets to the breaking up the view question, plus added cost, and cleanability if their not in-window grids.

• cpartist
    last year

You have the sliders to look out of . Make the windows all the same as shown on the front. Do make sure they're Simulated Divided Lites for the muntins versus the fake, horrible looking muntins inside the glass.

• cpartist
    last year

BTW: I assume you'll still have window treatments? If so what are you planning as that too will make a difference.

And seeing your house design, definitely no on black.

BTW: do you have an elevator?

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

Window treatment = blinds/curtains, right? If so, yes we will, not sure what yet though, open to ideas there, but that might be a subject for another post. For the bedroom we probably want blinds and curtains for maximum light blocking.

No elevator in the initial build. The layout/framing is such that our walk in pantry could be replaced with an elevator. We're in our 30s, and don't intend for this to be our forever home, so knock on wood, won't need an elevator in this house

• RoyHobbs
    last year

We don't like casement windows and the crank open.

I used to think that too, until I moved into a house that came with casement windows. Now I can't go back to double hung windows. The casements keep out drafts so much better, they seal shut like a vault. And the crank makes opening and closing the windows much easier than double hungs which over time always seemed to stick or get out of square in the sash tracks. I also like casements in a kitchen when you can reach over the counter and easily reach the crank, vs opening/closing double hung window while reaching over a counter.

Not trying to impose my choices on you. It's your house and get what you like the most - just wanted to bring up these points in case you had not considered them.

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

We had considered the sealing aspect, but definitely a good point to think about. Since the house will be new it will be very well insulated throughout, so efficiency losses of double hung vs casement weren't as big of a concern. In Maryland we typically don't get much extreme heat or cold, but can get pretty variable weather throughout the day, and I like being able to quickly open/close windows in the mornings and evenings. I also prefer the looks of double hung myself. Budget wise, we have a lot of windows, so casement likely would have been cost prohibitive.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    last year

It's a typical beach-style house, you see them all over down the shore.

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

GN Builders - would you say prairie windows are appropriate on a beach style house like this? Seems out of place to me

• dan1888
    last year

Windows are a big cost. The space inside no longer relies on opening windows for climate control. Including fixed pane for many locations allows for better views at a 40% savings. When you have them, views are the primary priority for windows. Light is next. The money you could save on windows could be spent on siding, for example. Fixed are really good at sealing too.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    last year

They add some architectural style and elegance and one of the local architects likes to incorporate them in many modern homes.

• Sigrid
    last year

You don't need muntins for "visual appeal". It's like buying a tux and deciding to add some ruffles for "visual appeal." You have a lot going on in your house, no one is going to look at it and think it's lacking more decorative details.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"No one is going to look at it and think it's lacking more decorative details."

Well, someone may look at it and think the grills in some of the lakeside windows and doors are missing. Do not be afraid of having grills in windows where there is a view. When I look out my windows, which have grills in them, at the park across the street I do not see the grills because I am not looking at them, I am looking past them.

• cpartist
    last year

GN Builders - would you say prairie windows are appropriate on a beach style house like this? Seems out of place to me

Prairie would be so out of place on your house.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Locate the round window higher in the gable. Where it is shown appears mathematically located and not visually balanced.

• roarah
    last year

I think double hung, two over one, looks appropriate without obstructing too much view.

• stm25rs
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for the comments!

Now, to convince my fiancee that prairie windows would look out of place. She also likes black windows, which I think work well on the modern farmhouse look....not that I like the modern farmhouse look, in general, but at least that black windows seem to fit there. I'm hoping the cost adder for black trim rules that out, but I'm guessing prairie vs grid will be a similar cost adder.

• cpartist
    last year

Prairie vs grid will be similar in price as I considered prairie for my craftsman style house. Instead I wound up doing this style with bronze exterior and white interior. The only place I didn't use any simulated divided lites on my house were my sliders and my doors.

Hopefully you can convince your fiance that prairie style while beautiful, and black would be out of place.

• worthy
    last year

Locate the round window higher in the gable.

Hint

Better yet, scrap it if there's no attic.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living