SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenwinston73

Rug for bathroom

jenwinston73
last year

This floor gets so dirty. Much of it is from when water drips on floor from sink and then someone walks across the wet floor with shoes. What type of rug would look good here? Should it just be a runner in front of the sink or a large area rug that fits in center of room?

Comments (49)

• jackowskib
    last year

Consider looking for a bath runner rug that launders easilly when needed. Pretty bathroom!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

There are a million rugs that can work. We can't advise size, we can certainly advise a wipe up of the floor when water has splashed , which might solve 90 % of the problem.

Make that rug patterned and washable. If the "traffic" Is from a bedroom to the potty or closet? Centering makes sense. Or get a RUNNER to sit at the vanity and absorb the water drips.

But..... nobody but you can address the habit of not wiping up a wet floor: )

• Related Discussions

MIL with mental illness lives with us

Q

Comments (21)
    I have about 30 minutes before the in-laws arrive with ma in tow and the "excitement" begins. I have read all of your responses and reread my posts. I need to take the time to reread what I write. I probably won't have the time today either and hope things come out better. It seems what I mean and what I write don't always mesh. Am shaking my head at what I wrote. I see what I did write, but what was in my mind was more meaning getting permission of going with my gut feeling of doing things, and not over thinking things. When I trust myself, I tend to make better decisions. Originally, I was concerned about being selfish and worrying about her dignity. My gut was to not worry and I was told here to not worry. I was also told to not put the plastic down, which we won't be doing. She doesn't want the depends because of her dignity, this was discussed with her daughter a couple days ago. She has been ok with not having accidents. Daughter bought them and told her if she has any accidents she will wear them. She won't accept that talk from me, but I will be telling her the same thing, I will be sweet but firm. Like someone said, it's my house, and cleanliness IS preserving dignity. I am so happy I found this section of the forum a few days before her return so that I can begin to put things in perspective and get my mind in order. She has 3 days of increased meds in her now. At the first sign of a problem, she will either be going to the hospital or 911 will be called if needed. I am prepared and am not going to play around this breakdown. I have notes and names in a notebook. I have the "go bag" ready, except her pills. I have protein bars, puzzles and a book in it for me in case I spend the night in the ER. Now to smile when she comes walking in the door. They are here. Thank you so much.
    ...See More

The 1949 bathroom...need contour rug & rectangular rug

Q

Comments (3)
    JC penny is also a good source for the type of bath rugs you are looking for. Bathroom rectangular and contour rugs
    ...See More

Small Bathroom Redo

Q

Comments (10)
    Tricia, you can use the carrara subway tile on the walls, just don't do it in the herringbone. it's fine to use the same marble tile. you could also use a plain white subway tile, wallpaper, a white wainscot, or paint the walls a bold color and use a white wainscot. lots of options
    ...See More

Bath room matt ideas (new bathroom)

Q

Comments (8)
    Suggest a small white, cream or grey mat hung over tub which can be used for either tub or shower. We have the type below and it is super soft, drys quickly and washes really well, this one comes in dark grey as well If intetested https://www.cb2.com/cirrus-white-bath-mat/s571940#modal You could add a 3x5 patterned washable rug - don’t suggest oval (measure first to see what you think) in white, or cream with grey. Idea below is from Ruggable, but expensive - just providing to show a good look for your bathroom.
    ...See More
  • jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks. I’m pretty good about drying up the fixtures and tub after shower but what can I use to dry floor every time? At some point the hand towel will hang on the wall…maybe that will make a difference.

I bought this rug to test how it looks. I’m not sure I like it…thoughts? Right size? Right design?

• jackowskib
    last year

I would keep looking for a rug that’s long enough to line up with sinks at each end and in a color that compliments shower floor.

• craftlr
    last year

I would go with a large print or a solid color to contrast the tile on the shower floor.

• kl23
    last year

What about getting one of these instead of rugs?

https://www.irobot.com/en_US/braava.html

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

"What can I use to wipe up the floor? At some point there will be a hand towel hanging...."

Uh, you want to use a hand towel? For the floor?

No. How about you just stick a roll of paper towels in that vanity? Or a package of Lysol wipes? ...............Presto. We'll assume you have a waste can. He who dirties the floor wipes the floor.

• kl23
    last year

Where is the water coming from? Is it dripping from the door as you open it after a shower? Do you have a few seconds to squeegee down the door before stepping out?

• Maureen
    last year

The only visible towel is on the drawer handle, so that’s the issue with water getting on floor. Also don’t think having a damp towel resting on the wood is a good idea.

Suggest a countertop holder (with a turkish towel, as they are quick to dry). Won’t help though if people are just not drying hands; then add a long enough runner to cover usage at either sink. Look for a one that doesn’t compete with shower’s tiles and a neutral is suggested, to maintain the earthy/spa like feel.

Assume bathroom is not finished, as there are no mirrors or towels racks. When adding, consider hooks vs a rack, as towels dry faster and coordinate them with hand towel.

If water is an issue at shower area, add an absorbent mat that can be hung over tub to dry. About your query re a rug in middle of floor, it won’t solve the water issue.

• Allison0704
    last year

Removing the towel from the handle will solve some of the problem. Keep it folded on the counter (fold each side inward, then fold in half so that the inward side folds are not showing).

I have a towel bath mat and it solves the shower issue, but one must first dry off inside the shower before exiting, then step onto the bath mat towel.

I purchased a long vintage runner for our bathroom in our last house and it works in our new house too.

• Valinta
    last year

Grab a package of (12)microfiber towels and a glass squeegee at you local big box home improvement store and leave in bathroom. The towels can be used to wipe the glass after squeegee and avoid drips. , and also wipe up stray drips. A larger bath mat will also absorb water as one steps out of shower. If a resident has mobility issues and needs to wear shoes all of the time in the house, understood. Otherwise, leaving outside shoes at the entrance keeps dirt, etc out of the whole house.

• la_la Girl
    last year

I think the mat and the small rug look choppy - I would do one larger washable rug that can be centered and covers more of the tile, I think it will look more purposeful as well as meet the needs of the bath

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Wow. Thanks for everyone responding! I added a photo of the wall across from the vanity just to show what it looks like.

To answer a couple of questions, I assumed the water was coming from dripping hands. What I was saying about the hand towel was not that I was suggesting using that on the floor…but that it would eventually be on the wall instead of the vanity handle. I was waiting for the installation of our mirrors before hanging that up. I did purchase a little hook instead of a bar for that.

Funny, just yesterday I received a squeegee for the shower that I had ordered! I don’t think it gets wet enough to drip. The little mat is one of those stone mats and works pretty good to absorb the water on my feet. But I wonder if leaving it there after I dry off is a bad idea.

I try to dry off in the shower mostly…but there’s no good place to put the towel except for the counter top. Occasionally I’ll forget to place it there and have to step out wet to grab the towel from the hook. That does cause a little puddle that I try to dry up.

I will take the towel off of the handle and lay it on the counter until we hang the hook up. I think that will help some of the dripping…and you are probably right that it’s not good to hang it against the wood. I hadn’t thought about that. Oops.

I don’t like the idea of a rug there. But now I agree that a solid color would probably work out better. Maybe I need to buy a long neutral rug (to fit the length of vanity) and remove the stone mat since it looks funny. Then use a bath mat that drys on the tub?

• kl23
    last year

If you stored a towel or two IN the shower stall away from the water, would it stay dry enough to prevent the "dripping-hands" syndrome?

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Side note - I have a swiffer that I use on the tile. But I just do that on the weekends, not everyday. I’ll see if moving the hand towel will make a difference. I also have paper towels in the drawers for cleaning off the counter. But honestly I never really notice the water on the ground after I dry… so I feel like it’s a small amount. But somehow dirt gets there anyway. I’ll monitor and see if this helps.

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

KL - unfortunately there’s not room for extra body towels in the shower. But that doesn’t happen too often that I forget and I try to dry up the floor when it does…although I’m sure there have been times when I haven’t…and obviously that would be an issue.

• ShannonMarie
    last year

I suggerst a long rug in front of vanity and put a mat down each time you shower. hang mat over tub to dry. They never make mats big enough so i use a large bath towel in a different color, specifically for a mat.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

I would do a bit of a longer rug in front of the sinks, and then install a towel bar to prevent all the water from dripping everywhere. Make sure that everyone drys off before walking everywhere!

• PRO
    Evolution Group
    last year

You just need a solid rubberized mat, it will allow the water to dry out under it, and also avoid contact of shoes with tiles.

• jackowskib
    last year

You can get a brushed nickel Command towel hook and mount on the shower glass right by door handle. Convenient to grab when done showering.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

No offense intended, but all of this is basic house keeping, deserves far less brain surgery. Unless you have mobility issues, unless you have a partner who believes "someone else will wipe it up" ....it's nothing more than avoiding a simple task, post use of that bath. Put a stack of bar mops in a drawer or a roll of paper towels. Roll up a step out mat, white and washable, and keep it at the base of shower door , on the floor.

Clean up after yourselves. Mom isn't there to do it for you.

No room is zero maintenance, let alone a bath.

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Jan. My main question was about what rug would look good in my bathroom. No need for house keeping tips.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Well. I don't know about you, but I would far rather, lean over, grab a bar mop/paper towel and wipe up.........than deal with washing rugs , unless they are 20 x 30 and cotton.

Housekeeping ? It's inseparable from the design choices you make. If you know in advance that you hate limited and basic daily housekeeping? You choose a more forgiving dirt "visual" for the floor. Meaning darker. Or more pattern, or finally yes...a rug, which I posted way up above: )

• ker9
    last year

Too late to flip the shower door so you can reach towels on hooks?

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the idea. We thought that through when figuring out the door but wanted to be able to leave it open if needed and swinging towards the wall made more sense. I really think the main issue is the hand towel that is “temporarily” hanging from the vanity. I’ve put the towel on the counter for now and will see if there is an improvement. We’ll be installing a hand towel hook on the wall soon, so that might help also.

A friend suggested I get a rug and so that’s why I was looking into this option to begin with. We don’t really use rugs in our house. If I can’t find one I like and/or if I hate having to wash it, then I’ll deal with the cleanup (I’m not really a slob…just looking for options). I just thought I would entertain the idea to see if there were some good suggestions.

• kl23
    last year

Again, can you hang a hand towel inside your shower? It looks bigger than my whole bathroom. Surely there is a spot high up on the opposite wall that won't get wet.

• kl23
    last year

And thank you for convincing me never to have a white floor anywhere. I am choosing mid-tone grey/taupe for all my floors after reading how a few drops of water can make a floor look muddy. Imagine what my field boots would do to it???!!!

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

I didn’t realize you were talking about a hand towel. I thought you meant a body towel. I actually hang a towel in the shower. I use this to dry off all fixtures and tub after I shower.

But I don’t think that solves the issue at the sink. I think by moving the towel to the counter I have solved the issue. I may not get a rug after all.

Yes my floor is a white with grey streaks. When we do my son’s bathroom I think I will use a dark grey. I just thought would be too dark with our dark grey walls in shower. Flip flop those colors and may be better 👍🏼

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I think you need to move past the idea that this has anything to do with where you store any type of towel- be it a wipe towel up or your personal hand towel.

It doesn't. You can hate the statement, it is simple truth. There's still an action required in front of any sink. Even if its as simple as shaking out or vacuuming a rug. Get a fingertip towel holder. Get two!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FGZSYCK/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=5b26d43485704da064b0e2193b2ea39b&content-id=amzn1.sym.552bcbb2-81a1-4e8b-b868-3fba7d5af42a%3Aamzn1.sym.552bcbb2-81a1-4e8b-b868-3fba7d5af42a&hsa_cr_id=8941198310101&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=e0fc8c12-5d9c-40d1-a791-ffae374af816&pd_rd_w=FwpWh&pd_rd_wg=9OVFz&qid=1671835396&ref=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_0img&sr=1-1-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124&th=1

Don't forget the little towels

https://www.amazon.com/Monogrammed-Towels-Fingertip-Personalized-Inches/dp/B01IU9OXSC/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3KHR8JFWYZGQR&keywords=white%2Bfingertip%2Btowels&qid=1671835523&s=home-garden&sprefix=white%2Bfingertip%2Btowels%2Cgarden%2C105&sr=1-3-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2SjU5VkdBTUVUOFYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NzE4MjIxOVJKNzNFWFFHWTNYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTg1MzIxMDlHVjQxRExSUFJGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

And there is always...........

yup, good ol paper towels.

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions. I may look into the fingertip towel holder. I always preferred the bigger hand towels but maybe fingertip is all I need. Moving the hand towel from the drawer handle (as I initially had it) to the “temporary” spot on the counter actually HAS made a big difference on the “dirty” floor. I have been making sure to dry up after the shower…so I’m probably more conscious of it now. But guaranteed the hand towel was just in the wrong spot.

Here’s a photo of where it is now and then the wall towel holder that I was going to use (I just realized it’s not a hook). I wonder if I should either use a hook or finger towel holder instead.

• kl23
    last year

I also thought the issue was with coming from the shower. Yet I read your original post and am not sure how I got the wrong idea. Sorry. I use paper towels in rooms more than one person uses. But a little towel holder and towels Jan suggested look really nice!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Just when I begin to muse that nothing can possibly surprise me, I'm yet again .........surprised : )

• arcy_gw
    last year

The only time our bathroom floor has ever threatened to get wet it is from getting out of the shower. Even when bathrooms have had 7 people sharing this has never been something I have come across. I am sooooo confused as to #1 why anyone has shoes on and #2 how regular water is an issue from the sink. That is BIZARRE in my world. A bath mat is FUNCTIONAL. I know many here poo poo carpet on the floor but people look around. How many stores can you list that sell BATH MATS!! There's a reason. The reason being EVERY BATHROOM NEEDS ONE!!

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Arcy - I do have a bath mat. I dry off in the shower and stand on the bath mat when I am no longer dripping. I have a stone mat that soaks up the water on my feet. Then I get dressed on the mat and step into slippers. If I do manage to drip after the shower, I dry it up (usually). This past week I have been putting the stone mat back in the shower after I use it and have really been examining the floor after I dry off. There have been a few drops and I have used a paper towel to dry up any stray drops that escaped the towel. Im sure that has helped. Side note we have purchased a body dryer that will be installed in the shower at some point. My husband thought it looked cool. I suppose that will eliminate all drips from the shower once installed.

But from the sink, I was leaning over and drying off my hands on the hand towel that was “temporarily” hanging from the drawer. It’s not a ton of water but there were drips and to dry off my hands, then open the drawer and grab a paper towel to dry off the floor afterwards seemed like too much effort every time I wanted to wash my hands. That’s why the question came up to begin with. That’s why I was trying to get an opinion of the size and type of rug to use. Sorry if I wasn’t clear as to why I was asking. I didn’t expect the conversation to go this direction. I was just looking for the opinion on the rug. Haha. That said, I really don’t care for the look, so I’m hoping I can manage to keep the floor clean without it. Moving that towel has helped.

I know a lot of people have suggested not wearing shoes in there. We currently wear shoes in the house and it seems ridiculous to have to take off shoes to use my master bath. Moving to a shoeless house is whole other thing and not sure we are ready to make that adjustment right now. Also we have luxury vinyl floors which I have read complaints about oils from skin being hard to remove. We haven’t had much issues (as we sometimes have our shoes off). But that’s a different thread all together and no need to comment on that here … haha

Thanks everyone for your comments.

• kl23
    last year

I am interested in your stone mat and body dryer. Never heard of either outside a sci-fi movie. They sound interesting. I googled. I especially like the body dryer. Thanks for the tip!

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

I think I got the stone mat on Amazon. I don’t recall what brand I got but here’s one similar.

Sutera Stone Bath Mat, Stone Bathroom Mat, Diatomaceous Earth Bath Mat, Stone Bath Mats for Bathroom, Super Absorbent Bath Mat, Drying Mat for Kitchen Counter https://a.co/d/5WWJ4Y5

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s the body dryer we got. We got the white one.

https://shop-usa.valiryo.com/en/product/20-valiryo-body-dryer-matte-white-set.html

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

The body dryer looks interesting. I've never seen one. If you think of it, let us know how you like it when you've had it for a while. I'd be interested in knowing if you find it dries skin. Not like drying from your shower which is its point, but the type of dry that requires a heavier moisturizer ;)

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Morz8 - that’s a very good point! I hope not because we have a whole in our tile from this if we don’t like it! I would have preferred to not get one but my husband really liked the idea of it. It could be cool if it works well and does not dry out my skin.

• kl23
    last year

I really got derailed yesterday by the body dryer concept... in a fun way! Amazon carries yours and a different version I also explored that people may want to check out because it's smaller, portable, and less expensive. Yours looks better to me though for getting a person dry. I was unable to find a review article comparing them. The concept is new in the US. The reason I went to Amazon was for reviews. And some of those were in French! I think some reviews showed the users had unrealistic expectations that caused them to rate the dryers poorly. Some examples are air speed and temperature. Some people were disappointed at the highest temperature being below body temperature. I have a digital thermometer in my bathroom and can say the temperature after a shower is around 80F. The high temp from the one body dryer was above that, so I'm not worried. I also crave a cool breeze after a shower in the summer. Someone else actually measured the airflow and said it wasn't 100 mph...well duh...that would be a safety issue. I was tickled at the other uses advertised: next to the pool to dry off the family before they came back inside, and drying off freshly washed pets! Too funny seeing videos of that! One review of the plug-in floor models pointed out that a remote control would be nice, and one model has that. For others who are interested:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=body+dryer+after+shower&crid=1H9FBVAWAU198&sprefix=body+dryer,aps,85&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_10

• kl23
    last year

Oh, if you think of it, there's another issue I hope you report on. I was so excited about the idea that I mentioned it to an early-adopter type at work. They expressed concern about it getting moldy and how does one clean behind it. I was surprised and disappointed by that response, so I hope you can assuage those concerns.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

"It’s not a ton of water but there were drips and to dry off my hands, then open the drawer and grab a paper towel to dry off the floor afterwards seemed like too much effort every time I wanted to wash my hands."

So you don't. Put it on the counter, a fresh one every time you dry your hands, and use the SAME one you used on hands and toss if any drips on the floor. A lot more sanitary than the same hand towel over and over and over. I'm still not over the whole thing: ) actually.

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

KL - I’ll let you know. I’m guessing there is a solution, since they are made for showers. Maybe it is easy to remove the front part to clean behind it. The challenging part is drilling the holes in the tile to hang it. My husband needs to do that and is not moving fast to get it done. Hopefully he’ll get it done soon. Then we have to call the electrician to get it hooked up.

Jan - I do like that idea. Is that what you have? I can see that working well in the powder room too. I’m waiting for our complicated mirrors to get built and hung. Then I’ll figure out how that wall to the right of the sinks will look. I was hoping to put a makeup mirror on an extended arm on that wall and the towel bar (or hook) next to it. I hate to take up extra counter space. But we’ll see. I may have no choice if it doesn’t work out well.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I think you're at over think, and avoiding simple solutions. Hang a towel on a ring at the side wall. Treat it as a more decorative aspect.

All you want is to avoid wipe ups on the floor, and it's nearly impossible in any bath, any kitchen, any floor anywhere.

For all the time spent avoiding it? It can be done in a flash. .. a split minute,

Do I have what I just suggested? No. I have a small mat at the vanity to keep tootsies warm, I give my a hands a tiny shake and there's a hand towel behind me. I clean the bath twice a week, thoroughly, leave no trash in a waste can, wipe up the counter with a paper towel from the roll in the vanity, and I am out of there with make up on and gone from shower and all grooming and all tidied up in 25 minutes flat.

But that only means you could be asking the wrong person. : ) Right?

• Kate
    last year

I personally like standing on a rug at the sink rather than cold tile when I’m barefoot. We have a white one because we have a white tile floor. I prefer the rug to almost match the floor color rather than being a statement, unless it’s an oriental and those aren’t washable. It stays pretty clean, but it’s easy to wash too. I prefer not to use disposable towels (would constantly be replenishing and emptying the trash) too many germ a phobes!

• kl23
    last year

Kate, have you tried heated flooring?

• jenwinston73
    Original Author
    last year

Oh heated floors sound so nice! We contemplated heated floors when designing our bath. But I thought maybe that was not necessary. We live in Southern CA. It doesn’t get too cold here. But I’ll admit the tile bathrooms do feel cold in the winter and I wonder if we should have just done that!

I like the idea of a very neutral rug that blends with the floor. But since we have light floors it might be harder to keep the light colored rug clean than it is the tile! I suppose I could try it though and if I don’t like it, it’s not a huge loss.

• kl23
    last year

I like the idea of no rugs in a bathroom, if that makes a difference. I would buy one for any other room in a heartbeat. My feelings certainly are not logical.