SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Ideas for window covering--patio door uniquely framed with trim pieces

julieste
last year

First of all, 95% of the time the window covering won't be used to cover the window because normally I don't need the privacy; I will want the entire window and its trim exposed as a design feature. I am only putting up a covering because maybe a week a year I will have guests sleeping in this den, and the door faces east.

My standard 6' patio door is uniquely trimmed out with a flat, Japanese-themed, dark wood trim that ends up making the width I will want to keep visible 89" including trim. Sorry I don't have a photo of my door, but the trim is very close to what I have. My door though is a slightly wider slider, and my ceilings are plain standard 8' high. The upper trim is a piece of 6" high wood, so I am left with 13" between the ceiling and the trim.

Hanalei Plantation Project · More Info

As in this photo I have more wall space on the right than the left. On the left I have 19".

I want the door and its trim to remain the focal point and don't want to emphasize the window treatment any more than I have to.

I absolutely despise vertical blinds. I can do unobtrusive drapes that pull to the sides, but I am still stuck with a curtain rod that will be visible at all times. (Actually if I do drapes I'd prefer to be able to pull all of them to the left so they could stick in the corner, but I am guessing since I will need at least a 90" rod I will need a middle support bracket so drapes would be able to be pulled to both sides.) I don't want to spend a gazillion bucks.

Do any of you creative people have any suggestions for me? Perhaps there are some products that I am unaware of. Thanks much.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022