SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_linden1

LVP Luxury Vinyl Plank... Area rugs and rug pads

I have read through so many posts here, contacted Coretec, scoured the Internet. Yet I am still unsure what to do.
In our new home, the entire main floor is LVP. I had planned on area rugs in the dining room, living room, and some runners. Then I started reading these horror stories about LVP interacting with rugs and causing discoloration to the LVP. I could just cry. We have discoloration on our bathroom sheet vinyl in our old house from rubber backed bath rugs, but I hadn't even thought about this with LVP. I have been to several stores that sell either LVP, area rugs, or both. And I get different answers from everyone. I even drove to Nebraska Furniture Mart and got different answers from people in their rug area and from the LVP department.
So what I've learned/read so far and questions.
1. No rubber or latex backed rugs or rug pads. The rubber and latex can cause a chemical reaction with the vinyl and create staining. Coretec verified this.
2. Polypropylene rugs- I have read these are bad with vinyl by themselves or that they are fine if they don't have rubber/latex backing. Which is it?
3. Rugs that have a rubber/latex backing... Can they be used if you use a vinyl safe rug pad? Or can the chemicals in each still react even with the barrier? What about around the edges?
4. Rug pads... Are there any that are GUARANTEED not to stain LVP. I have read several threads about Rug pad USA and their product called Anchor Grip. They no longer carry it. Other recommendations?
I need to find something soon, as we are getting close to move in. Please don't weigh in with snarky comments, opinions, etc. I am looking for factual information to help our search

Comments (10)