SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

What's for Dinner #403 Holiday Edition, 2022

We don't have time...so maybe share holiday meals...not Summer/Fall. Decided to push this forward...

Comments (80)

• colleenoz
    last month

I’m very sorry to hear about your Mother’s passing, Annie. It’s even harder when a loved one passes near a holiday, as my own mother did.

We didn’t have the Chirstmas we planned. DD and her husband were flying over for the first Christmas since 2019 and Covid travelling restrictions, to join in the first all-family Christmas dinner since that time. This is traditionally held on Christmas Eve, They were then going to come home with DH and me to spend Christmas Day in her childhood home, then go off to visit DD’s husband’s family on Boxing Day and a few days after.

Unfortunately, a selfish jerk at DH’s work got Covid, decided after two days that he didn’t need to isolate any more, and came in and gave DH Covid. The last day of DH’s isolation included Christmas Eve, so he couldn’t come, and I didn’t go rather than leave him alone. DD decided not to come home for Christmas Day as she understandably did not want to risk exposure before going down to see her inlaws, who are elderly and immunocompromised.

So Christmas Day it was just DH and me eating a turkey roll, carrots, green beans, roasted potatoes and gravy, with something forgettable for dessert. Then our airconditioning died, so we packed up and headed down to DH’s city digs which have functioning airconditioning, and the climate is cooler anyway.

After DD and her husband were finished visiting his relatives, they came to us in the city on the 28th for a family Chrismas dinner for us. In Dh’s tiny kitchen (and oven) I managed to bake the 14lb leg of ham which had been intended as part of my contribution for the big family Christmas (as well as the desserts, which didn’t happen) and a turkey buffe (the breast half of a turkey on the bone) stuffed with bread stuffing and DH’s Mom’s forecemeat stuffing, Hasselback potatoes, roast sweet potatoes and roast asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Dessert was, at DD’s request, pumpkin pie. There’s a bit of turkey in the freezer now and quite a bit of ham, though I sent DD away with a large chunk to share with the friends they were going on a short holiday break with in a rented beach house.

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    last month

Annie, I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Having taken care of both of my parents in their final days, I know what a hard job it has been. You took such great care of her. Wishing you health, happiness and peace in the new year.

• Related Discussions

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More

What are you reading? January 2022 Edition

Q

Comments (121)
    I found with reading Cloud Cuckoo Land that it helped to "go with the flow" and take events as they happen in this non-linear read. Two books that I recently finished - The Promise by Damon Galgut, winner of the 2021 Booker Prize. I loved this book that is set in South Africa and involves a family of three grown children and their parents. As the book opens, the mother is dying and she causes consternation by not only asking that her Jewish roots be recognized at the end of her life, but also asking her husband to promise to give a small house to their long-time Black maid. Family and race issues abound. Challenges with this book are that there are no quotation marks around dialogue and sometimes topics slide into one another so that it's necessary to read carefully to detect a change in speaker, subject, etc. Excellent for a book club discussion; 5 out of 5 stars. Merry Hall by Beverley Nichols (non-fiction). This book is somewhat old fashioned but charming nonetheless. Mr. Nichols purchased a large house and property in England in 1947 since he was interested in gardening. When he located Merry Hall, the house and garden had been neglected for several years so it needed tlc. The author discusses what he found there and the changes he made to suit his tastes. It has some humor, partly because of his awe and timidity when dealing with the long-time gardener. They don't always see eye-to-eye in determining what is suitable or appropriate for the property. 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5, higher for anyone interested in gardening.
    ...See More

What's for Dinner #400, Spring 2022

Q

Comments (110)
    Neely, I hope you are on the mend. My schedule has settled and I am back to cooking and tending the garden. I've been making jams, syrups and sauces. These are, from top, blackberries, boysenberries and ollalieberries. I make a triple berry jam from them. I also made a blueberry sauce and raspberry syrup. Yesterday, I canned eight large jars of nectarine jam and still have a tree full of fruit. Chicken with spicy nectarine sauce. My first attempt at a soft pretzel. This is the wine we made from last fall's harvest. From back, 1. Golden Muscat - juice only, 2. Golden Muscat - Juice and skins, 3. Golden Muscat - Skins only, and 4. California Chablis (Thompson's Seedless) - juice only. After tasting them all, we started blending. We decided to bottle a 50-50 blend of 1 & 4 and not blend 2 or 3. After bottling, I used the last partial bottle of the wine to make this lemon cream herb sauce, which we served over pan seared salmon. My second attempt at pretzels. I added an 'everything' flavor that was a hit with Garrett. I tried a new recipe - Poulet a la moutarde, which was tasty with brown rice and asparagus.
    ...See More

What's for Dinner #401, Spring/Summer 2022

Q

Comments (105)
    Happy birthday!. Mine was the 15th. I'm sure we had a nice meal but i've forgotten. Most likely seafood. Pasta looks great. Hick-ups in loading on here. My issue is having to log in every time. You will like the silicone lids Annie. Super for little hands if a snack is prepped ahead or for opened salsa in the fridge. I use reverse osmosis water filters and keep jars in the fridge so not much ice is needed. I could use a few more 4 oz and six ounce jars. Making some fruit salads with yogurt and layered chia pudding. Blueberries are good this year. Just put in three more plants. Mine are 15+years old. I made my version of Greek lemon Chicken. Head start quartered steak potatoes. Lots of lemon with 6 small boneless skinless chicken thighs. After 1/2 hour i piled on olives, cherry tomatoes, baby artichoke hearts, tucked in big cubes of fetta and back in the oven for 20 to roast. Usually a Fall/Winter dish so seemed a bit heavy. Made chicken salad lunches but so much left-over we had it again but with thin sliced massaged greens and some pasta. So much better with lots of veg.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    last month

Thank you, everyone. She was a fiercely independent person and I only hope she didn't realize how dependent she had become at the end, that would make her very unhappy. Dementia mostly took her about a year ago, but there was still a bit of her left, sometimes I could reach it.

Colleen, I tested positive on Saturday. I've been so very careful, got all the shots and boosters, still wore a mask to the store, I didn't want to give anything to Mother. Then, Tuesday after Christmas I took the girls to the public museum in Grand Rapids, filled with kids on Christmas break. By Thursday I was sick, by Friday I was very sick. Saturday I tested positive. It was my own fault, I exposed myself to all those kids and without a mask, figuring my immune system would be sufficient to protect me. It clearly was not.

So, we had takeout Chinese today, teriyaki chicken and fried rice.

Annie

• neely
    29 days ago

This is mainly a Not from scratch meal.

Roast pork and scallop potatoes bought from the shop, with asparagus, broccoli and shredded brussel sprouts cooked by me with butter. Too hot to turn the oven on at the moment.

• denise8101214
    27 days ago

Annie, I’m very sorry for your loss. May your memories bring you comfort and peace.

• lizbeth-gardener
    27 days ago

Annie, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. She sounded like quite a gal. Cherish the memories.

Liz

• annie1992
    26 days ago

OK, so my last post just went away, we'll see if this becomes duplicated. Mother was definitely a force to be reckoned with, all 80 pounds of her. I remember Ashley having the nerve to light a cigarette at a local restaurant. Mother wrestled the thing out of her hand and ground it out on the floor. Ashley was embarrassed, Mother really did not care. It didn't stop Ashley from smoking, of course, but she didn't do it in front of "Little Grandma" after that!

Last night's supper, which Mother would have hated, was turkey and wild rice soup accompanied by turkey sandwiches on ciabatta rolls:

Elery's birthday was the second, but we were both sick. Today we had Elery's belated birthday dinner of stuffed shrimp and "fried" peach pies in the air fryer:

And the cat, trying to help us with the packing up of Christmas decorations:

Annie

• Jasdip
    25 days ago

Annie, I'm glad you're still cooking and feeling okay. I made chicken and wild rice soup a few weeks ago. I'd forgotten how good it is!!

I made chicken cacciatore yesterday. The photo of the plated meal doesn't look as colourful; read appetizing as in the pot.

I served it with rice and roasted asparagus

• neely
    23 days ago

Another upside down photo... funny when it hapens. Anyway pasta with red sauce, goats cheese and basil ... corn on the side.

Love chicken cacciatore Jasdip and Annie shrimp and later peach pies sounds good.

I’m off to make some garlic ciabatta

• annie1992
    23 days ago

I canned turkey stock from the two holiday turkey carcasses and it turned out nicely, a big pot of turkey jello for soup and gravy later:

Last night we had broccoli, leftover rice and leftover shrimp. I was carefully rewarming it so it didn't get overcooked and rubbery and needed to heat it a bit more, but we ate it anyway:

Tonight we had ravioli from the freezer, roasted butternut squash and tossed salad, and I forgot to take pictures.

Annie

• neely
    23 days ago

All good Annie. The stock looks full of goodness and tasty.

I made a ciabatta loaf with rosemary and we had it with chicken thigh and chips, beans and stuffed red peppers which I burnt a little

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Another falafel meal. So green. Added parsley, cilantro stems, lacinato kale and turmeric and the usual spices. Used the medium scoop. Rolled in 'everything-and-more' spice.

Baked low and slow while i made humus.

• annie1992
    17 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Neely, very nice bread, I like the rosemary "decoration" on the top. And those aren't burned peppers, those are "caramelized", LOL.

Sleevendog, I love falafel, I should make some. And it must be hummus on the brain, because I just made some. I should have made egg salad instead, we're stacking up eggs because the B&B didn't have customers, they took a couple of weeks off over Christmas and New Years. Now they are back at work, and buying eggs, but I managed to stockpile some. That's fortunate, since they are over $4 a dozen here for the plain white commercial eggs. Cage free or organic is much higher. But, since the B&B was giving me $2.50 a dozen when eggs cost 47 cents at the store, I'm still selling them for $2.50 a dozen. My feed costs have gone up, but the eggs that cost about $1 to produce before now cost about $2, so I'm still making money on eggs. Of course, all the neighbors thought $1 a dozen was way too much to pay for eggs, now they want to buy them for $1 a dozen. Um. Nope, I'm not selling at a loss, plus Elery and I are the ones slogging through the snow (now rain) to feed chickens and gather eggs and try to keep water thawed, sheesh.

Anyway, today I baked the first bread I've baked in months, I didn't even bake dinner rolls at Christmas. Now this is sitting on the counter and I can hear it "singing" all the way into the living room!

We have been eating, and I've been cooking. We had some bean soup, with a smoked turkey leg I dug from the back of the freezer and a couple of handfuls of spinach languishing in the fridge, along with some Hidalgo beans I grew last summer. They are big and much like cannolini, I'll grow them again. They were prolific and easy to shell, unlike some of the others I tried:

I made some cornbread to go with that, baked in the cast iron skillet. I didn't have enough white cornmeal, so I used half white and half coarse ground yellow. I didn't have buttermilk so I used milk and sour cream. It was no flour, so I shared with Amanda, and it turned out nicely light and moist with a nicely crunchy crust from the bacon grease in the hot skillet:

Elery wanted some taco salad, so I thawed out some venison and stirred up some taco meat and made a salad with every piece of leftover salad vegetable in the crisper. It was straight up venison, not cut with sausage or pork, but as taco meat it worked. Plus the pets love it. Before seasoning, of course, I always share. Elery says it's the world's most expensive cat treats. (grin)

Elery made some BBQ'd pork ribs, which we had with mashed potatoes and some of the home canned pink half runner beans, but I forgot to take a picture. Last night we had leftover pork on ciabatta rolls that I bought at Costco. I spread them with garlic butter and run them under the broiler and they are acceptable.

So, that's what's for dinner. Tonight I have chicken breast brining, but I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I have to leave and take Amanda to the dentist, she's still not cleared to drive, but there's an appointment with the neurologist on Monday, maybe then.

My atheist brother, who originally said he didn't want any of that "God or Church crap" for a funeral now says we should have a graveside service for mother. Whatever. That'll have to be April, at least, here in Michigan, so a small service and lunch after at the Townhall. Because she didn't drive for at least 4 years and lived with my brother, she didn't have a church or a current pastor, so I may end up doing the eulogy/service myself. That's fine, I've certainly attended enough church services and funerals in my life and I knew her better than some random pastor who never met her.

Annie

• neely
    15 days ago

It was cooler here over the last few days so I thought I’d make a beef stew... very ordinary. Basically just beef, onions, carrots, green beans and what we call butter beans which I think are known as Lima beans or perhaps cannolini beans. No seasoning other than pepper and salt. It had what I call an old fashioned beefy taste.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 days ago

Annie - I am sorry to hear that you lost your Mom. My sympathies to you and your family.

seagrass

• thibeaultstable77
    13 days ago

annie1992 , I just saw the post about your mom. I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mom has been a big part of the Cooking forum for as long as I have known you.

• Jasdip
    13 days ago

Beautiful ciabatta Neely! Your bread looks perfect Annie, you haven't lost your touch one iota even though it's been a while.

A local celebrity (she and her sister were on the Food Network) put out a healthy cookbook a few years ago. I had recipes bookmarked and finally decided to make some.

Last Sunday was a pot roast, it was delicious.

Our winter isn't winter at all except for the storms over Christmas that most of Canada and the northern US experienced. It's been weather more suitable for March, damp, drizzly, cloudy and miserable. I won't be surprised if some crocuses start showing their heads!

And this type of weather just makes me feel cold, I'm much colder both inside the apartment and outside than if it were -10 or 15C. Even so, one of her recipes caught my eye, a pasta, bacon, tomatoes, baby spinach and cooked chicken salad. So that's what I made tonight.

• annie1992
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

AnnT, I'm happy to see you again, I check in on your blog every now and again, just to keep up with you and Moe and see how everything is going. I think you knew "Mom" for as long as I've been on the forum, at least 20 years. It's difficult, but I'm slogging through, and life just changes.

Seagrass, I thought of your own dear Mother, and I hope she is doing well.

I made spicy chickpeas with braised eggs and toast from the homemade bread:

Oatmeal for breakfast was definitely not picture worthy, LOL.

Annie

• John Liu
    12 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I’m sorry about your mom, Annie. I also hope you feel better soon.

We’ve been celebrating Chinese New Year. SWMBO informs me that this is a Water Rabbit year, and an important year for me, because I was born in the last Water Rabbit year. She says I need to make the most of this Water Rabbit year, because I won’t live to see the next one. Way to bummer, I responded.

Don’t know why the photos are sideways:-)

We moved our decorations over to the current holiday.

Our Christmas tree is still green and drinking water, so we made it into a Chinese New Year tree, with the kids’ stuffed bunnies as decorations.

We are sitting our neighbor’s pugs, because he had to fly back to Alabama where his parents were in a head-on car crash (they are okay). Ernie and Gigi like to sleep under the tree.

• rob333 (zone 7a)
    11 days ago

Annie, I haven't seen your post about your mom, but I'm sorry you are slogging through. I think I can guess. (((hugs sister)))

I made pad Thai. I've eaten everything, everywhere, and I have never had Pad Thai. Definitely not picture-worthy. I can see on the internet it never is. It's very brown. Tasted ok. So I'll have to get it when I go out someday. Not holiday food, but one I should've had a long time ago. I'd have to spice it up.

• annie1992
    11 days ago

John, I love the pugs, and the New Year tree. My cats slept like that under the Christmas tree, my old dog was far too "dignified" to mess with it. My Mother had an artificial tree and she got tired of taking it down so she just decorated it for every holiday, and during times when there were no holidays she put pictures of all the grandkids on the tree. She said she didn't need to take it down and store it that way. Your wife, though? She meant you wouldn't see another Water Rabbit year, right? Not just another year, I'd miss you here. And your table is wonderfully colorful.

Rob, my sister, thanks for the hugs. Mother passed away on December 17. It was relatively quick, as she had only been in hospice care for 4 days. We'll have a Celebration of Life in the spring.

Neely, the soup looks good, I should make some. Elery loves beans and we have lots from last year's heirloom bean growing experiments!

Jasdip, the pot roast looks exactly like something that should be eaten here. It's been cold with snow flurries, and next week it'll be in the teens and single digits, so maybe I should haul out a chuck roast...

Right now I have crowder peas in the slow cooker as I have to drive Amanda to Grand Rapids for a neurologist appointment. We're crossing our fingers that she will be allowed to drive and go back to work, now she' finished physical therapy.

Annie

• John Liu
    11 days ago

Annie, I assume she was referring to the next Water Rabbit year (which will be 2083). If she was referring to the next calendar year . . . then I should be fearfully looking over my shoulder, I guess. Maybe she is telling me the range hood needs to be working pronto, or else.

• rob333 (zone 7a)
    11 days ago

We really are sisters. My mom passed away the day before her 80th birthday, just 6 months ago. I wish you the best.

Original Author
    10 days ago

I skipped over the holidays but worth noting some successes. I made a number of chowders, soups and stews.

Cod, sworfish, and shrimp under the clams.

I ordered from WildFork for the first time. Excellent selection, good prices, and a-la-cart, so no mysteries. Small portions. Just pulled out what i needed. Had it sent directly to my family home with three big Misfit boxes. A veg, a pantry, and cold pack box.

Years past i would run around to various groceries and pack two big coolers. All i picked up was a dozen bagels.

They live in such a food desert, this was a pleasure. We had to scramble and leave two days early due to the eminent storm. We only stopped locally at a farm stand for collards and kale and a fish monger for shrimp, oysters, and crab. A seafood feast. So easy to stay on-scrip through boxing day.

Original Author
    10 days ago

• neely
    10 days ago

Your deliveries sounded very good Sleevendog, and good healthy meals for you and family as a result I’m sure.

I’m still mostly getting food delivered. I would rather get the bulk of the shopping delivered and just pop into various stores to get a couple of special items. Loading up a shopping trolley and winding out to the car park is not for me anymore. DH will sometimes do an Aldi shop as there are a few things we like from there.

That’s a wonderful festive table John Liu and your Pad Thai sounds good Rob.

Love that you are always trying new recipes Jasdip, looks like they turned out very nice as well. Annie “spicy” chickpeas... you are branching out, maybe not too spicy though Lol.

I thought this meal of King George whiting fillets and Orzo all served with parsley, garlic and butter sauce was yummy...just suited me.

I made stir fry chicken and vegetables another night.

• CA Kate z9
    10 days ago

Annie, I hang my head in shame that I didn't know your mother died. I do hope you are feeling better from being sick, and getting back from her death.

I agree that I hope 2023 is a better year.

Original Author
    9 days ago

(like Annie, i keep loosing posts randomly)...keeping them short

I'm breaking in a new wok and made similar recently.

Our local delivery service just celebrated 20 years. It is like a WholeFoods, standard grocery, health food store, all rolled into one.

Hepworth i weighed at 22lbs. Plus herbs and juice. Anytime i can get produce for a . buck a pound is a good deal. Took most of that box on our trip south. Pretty pink potatoes. The only . way to please my family is a mixed roasted sheet pan for likes and dislikes.

My sister does not eat root crops except for beets. Lots of salads. Torn, massaged, and shaved. Prepped 2 big zip-locks every morning, un-dressed. For lunch and dinner. I took my side-shooter cuisinart. So quick. DH prepped the veg---oiled, seasoned, and bagged.

Original Author
    9 days ago

The big hit this holiday was the sticky rice balls. Should have taken both bags. I made mine smaller and not stuffed, vegetarian. Recipe, Korean rice balls

Christmas Eveis traditionally oyster stew but made that for Dad the night we arrived. Made a fishermans stew instead.

I made them last night with chili crisped roasted tofu and dumplings in a homemade Dashi.

• annie1992
    9 days ago

Rob, I'm so sorry you lost your Mom too. As the years go on, I seem to attend more and more funerals, and think of all the experience and knowledge (and love) lost. (sigh)

Kate, I haven't mentioned it much. My way of dealing with difficult things is mostly to ignore it and go on to whatever just needs doing until I feel ready to handle it. I think today's psychologists would have a field day with that, but it works for me.

John, be afraid. Be very, very afraid. ROFL I think you're safe, really, but you might want to bump that hood up on your list. :-)

Neely, the whiting looks really nice to me too. As for the spicy chickpeas, well, they weren't all that spicy, the only "heat" was from smoked paprika, LOL.

Sleevendog, everything looks nice and fresh. I've gotten a couple of Misfits boxes lately too, no garden produce here, so I'll be counting on them to fill my crispers for the next several months. I need to get back to cooking from the pantry and the freezer, though, I have been slacking off for several months, between the Township duties and caring for Mother. Now it's time to get back into the swing of things.

That said, we had salad for supper. No pictures, I'm a slacker! I am trying to figure out exactly what to do with crowder peas, though, I have some dried from last summer's garden and have little/no experience with them.

Annie

Original Author
    8 days ago

I'm soaking some myacoba beans to confit tomorrow. Like a twice baked potato, beans soaked, simmered, then baked in the oven in a shallow casserole. Leeks, garlic, olives, smoked paprika, lots of lemon slices. 1/4 cup of master stock, Olive oil then baked. I use the BonApetite and RanchoGordo recipes combined. Made a version NewYears day using black eyed peas and ham.

Last night i made salmon cakes with a warm cabbage, apple, celery root, and onion slaw.

Creole remoulade.

Original Author
    7 days ago

Felt good to take out my crisper drawer and give it a good cleaning. Misc root crops going in a pup grain and veg pot. Plus a veg based pasta we did not care for. Had to look up cabbage and cucumber for dogs. All good. Fine especially minced in a food processor. Some things dogs do not digest well. I just over-cook a bit like a porridge.

I had more 'misfits' than i thought...

About half went into the pup pot.

Some will go into a braising oso buco after a couple hours for tonights dinner.

Nice to have a full fresh crisper and pantry. Misfit delivery this morning.

I mis-read the Misfit summer squash and zucchini. I thought it was 3.50 for 2 count. It is for 2 pounds but mine came close to three pounds. No tag where it is grown but so fresh. I've never been a big fan in the summer but surprised how nice it is now in deep winter.

Made a family favorite, succotash, christmas dinner. Had so much I roasted, tossed in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, the last 10 minutes on top of the roasted root veggies sheet pan. Out of the oven, on the stove top, Dad shuffled by and snacked the summer squashes before even plating. He is 94. He can have anything he wants.

I put salads on the table an hour before dinner. "we just had lunch!"...as pop grazes on salads and sits silverware in hands waiting for the next course. 😂🙄...Bickering over brussel sprouts.

• CA Kate z9
    7 days ago

Sleevendog, You reminded me about the beans. I added the Rancho Gordos to the pot just now. I have a smoked pork shank cooking on the stove. I will put up jars of soup in the freezer tomorrow.

Original Author
    6 days ago

Osso Buco slow braised last night. We have had so many soups and seafood dishes it was a nice hearty change. I simmered the beans but way too much food as it was with all the veg, we'll have the confit tonight.

Original Author
    6 days ago

Night before last i made an old favorite. Shrimp and pasta over a pile of sauteed veg. Some leftover salmon cake mix and made some mini cakes. I'm making too much food but fine to have some lunch leftovers. A 1/3'rd of the pasta i left in the pan on the stove. I plate his generous. Much more than my plate. I do like that next nights meals are less prep. Mostly done like the beans for tonight.

• neely
    6 days ago

Such fresh and tasty looking meals Sleevendog particularly like your meal just above... the prawns and mini salmon cakes look delicious to me.

We had salmon and the parsley, garlic butter orzo, which I have become addicted to, with brocolini. I took this 1st photo then added roasted eggplant and red pepper to my plate, which increased the tastes.

• CA Kate z9
    6 days ago

Smoked Ham Shank Soup:

I took the ideas from some of you and went thru' the fridge and tossed anything likely into the soup too. I had alread added the Rancho Gordo beans and some dried bean soup in a box that someone gave me. I even threw in more garlic and some dried hot peppers. At the end I tossed in the chopped head of a cabbage that had seen better days. After hours of cooking I ended up with either a very thick (chunky) soup or a brothy stew. Whatever, it tasted good.

I had such a big potful at the end that, besides my dinner, I was able to make up 6 bags and one quart jar for future reference and in the freezer.

Original Author
    4 days ago

Soups are so good especially if you make it yourself. No mystery ingredients. Control the salts and sugars.

Not my plan but made a soup with beans/vegetables and a rich broth from the marrow bones. Night before slow braised beef shanks.

• Jasdip
    3 days ago

Neely, I want your salmon and orzo!!!

I've been down for the count for a week with bronchitis. Yesterday was my first real meal, and I had a craving for goulash. It went down good! That's parmesan sprinkled on that you see.

Original Author
    3 days ago

That does look comforting after a week without an appetite. Hope you are back to feeling normal soon. So much going around. Both our families are riddled with covid, flu, and a nasty cold going around. The variety that causes loss of voice.

Made a egg & vegetable fried rice last week and thinking again tomorrow. Made a big batch of chili crisp. Another meatless meal in our rotation.

Original Author
    3 days ago

Last night we had mini blue cheese burgers, 3oz has been the norm for a few years. On english muffins with chips and a side shared salad. Creole remoulade sauce/dressing.

Cabbage, fennel, red onion, yellow beet slaw.

• Jasdip
    3 days ago

Sleeve, your egg and vegetable fried rice sounds good!

3 days ago

Blue cheese sliders sound so good. DH hates blue cheese, but I love it. Definitely an acquired taste. It was a common treat growing up, as it reminded my immigrant parents of Britain.

This was smoked pork loin with homemade spicy plum sauce, bok choy and brown rice.

• neely
    3 days ago

Delicious looking pork loin Lynda.

This is a plate showing the Lentil

(meat) ) loaf I made with coleslaw.

Original Author
    2 days ago

Loooks good Lynda. Nice to see you back. We had a couple small pork loins last Fall. Didn't think to smoke them. Reminds me we have bok choy in the crisper.

Is that a meatless loaf neely? I've been using 1/4 minced lamb with 3/4 fine minced veg, grains, seeds. My sister does not eat lentils but loves chick peas. Did not make a loaf over the holidays but did make my Dad lamb Kafta and my sister mini vegan meatballs at the same time using the grain mix add-ins. Chia seed binder. Kafta i used egg.

Slaws are year round here. Over the holidays slaws and salads, prepped ahead, went on the table an hour before dinner. Dad would pretty much wipe them out using his fingers. "oh, i thought this was for me". (he's 94. He can have anything he wants)

Last night we bounced around a few options and our winter noodle bowl, twice a week these days, sounded good to DH. Goodies under the greens---ramen eggs, avocado, miso/ginger Dashi broth.

• neely
    2 days ago

Looks good Sleeve, and Yes a meatless Lentil loaf. I posted recipe on the Meatloaf thread. I liked it and would make it again. Had a meaty mouthfeel.

These bowls of soup were a clear the fridge type thing. I didn’t have any Asian noodles so I used... purists look away... spaghetti. I cooked it way past al dente and it was fine.

Original Author
    yesterday

I cheat the noodles all the time. During lockdown i was using lasagna noodles cut into strips and using broken up lasagna noodles as dumplings in soups. Nothing will keep me from my beloved noodle bowl. 😜...but i'm well stocked now. Misfits has a ramen noodle 2 pack i used above. A women owned company and good clean ingredients. A bit curly. I could have a noodle bowl every day. With a good broth, anything goes from the crisper.

That said, i could have sushi every day. Shrimp and smoked salmon....

• lynda radke
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I could have sushi everyday too! I also love Neely's clear the fridge soup bowls, my kind of meal.

This was New York steak with a red wine reduction, steak fries and asparagus.

Original Author
    20 hours ago

Cod Cakes with a Creole Remoulade. Snacked on the raw veg salad before dinner so i made another...fennel, arugula, romaine.

'MardiGras Slaw'

11 hours ago

Crab cakes look yummy.

I made some bread today to take to a get together tonight. This is a whole white wheat boule.

Sponsored Story
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Pro Spotlight: Give Your Traditional Home a Modern Perspective