SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doublehoogirl

Floorplan help - powder room placement

doublehoogirl
last year

I'd be grateful for any advice on where to place our powder room on the main living level of a townhouse we are building. It is an open plan layout, with the kitchen, dining, living, entryway all running into one another. The architect has placed the powder room right off of/behind the kitchen. This is really off-putting to us, but we're not sure where else it fits.

We are working with some pretty significant limitations; namely that the townhouse will be part of a condo association and we do not have any flexibility on any of the exterior features. So the placement of entry door, windows, and stairwell are fixed and non-negotiable.

I would ideally like to squeeze the powder room in the vicinity of the entryway - but I'm not sure if we have enough space to do that without cannibalizing too much of the living room. The architect does not think this is feasible. What do you think?

Another possibility, one that a neighbor has opted for, is to rotate the powder room 90 degrees clockwise, so that the entrance is next to the long window in the back of the kitchen. This doesn't solve the "bathroom in the kitchen" problem, and would then require anyone who uses it to pass through the entire kitchen. But it has the advantage of being more private and being less visible. So if we can't manage to squeeze a powder room into the entryway area, perhaps that would be the least worst option...?

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts would be very welcome!

Comments (22)