SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacsturch

Layout Dilemma

jacsturch
last year

Hi everyone - I have been working with my architect for several weeks now regarding our kitchen and living room layout. I don’t feel confident in finalizing this design. I was hoping for some input or feedback of a different layout? I always wanted a double sided fireplace or a larger kitchen island. I understand that would change everything in this design like window and door placement. Again, just open for seeing this from a different perspective. TIA!

Comments (72)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I’m actually with Jan. What is the current layout? I was assuming kitchen was already in this spot and that’s why there. If not then anything can be changed

• cpartist
    last year

Add me to being confused.

• Related Discussions

living room+ dining room layout dilemma… tv above fireplace?

Q

Comments (3)
    I understand why you wanted to have the bistro table/chairs on the window wall between the patio door and the kitchen passageway….it makes sense to have your dining area adjacent to the kitchen. The open wall at the opposite end is the perfect location for the tv. So swap the sofa and loveseat and anchor them and the cocktail table on the rug (front legs of sofa/loveseat on the rug), so the loveseat will pull in closer to the fireplace, leaving room behind for the dining area and access to the patio door. The square end table could then be placed in the corner between the sofa/loveseat.
    ...See More

Tile layout Dilemma

Q

Comments (9)
    What size are the tiles? I used a basket weave tile layout that created a square layout using rectangular tiles. This design opens up my small kitchen. People comment on the design. It's much more interesting than either stacked or running. http://www.harveymaria.com/laying-patterns | Tile layout patterns, Tile layout, Patterned floor tiles (pinterest.com.au) BASKETWEAVE PATTERN In it’s purest form the Basketweave tile pattern is two brick-shaped tiles set horizontally against two brick-shaped tiles set vertically. It’s a simple and easy pattern to achieve and offers a textured field without too much effort. Somewhat more labor-intensive and much more textured in appearance, the other Basketweave version is where brick-shaped tiles are set in an interlocking pattern with smaller square tiles filling the space in between. Tile Patterns (Best Floor Tile Layout Patterns) - Home Flooring Pros
    ...See More

Living Room Layout Dilemma

Q

Comments (16)
    I have never understood why anyone wants to sit facing the fireplace. In both my last home and my current home my sofa was across from the TV and the fireplace was on the wall between the sofa and fireplace. I watch TV. I don't watch the fireplace. I allow the warmth from the fireplace to warm the area where I am sitting. Can you provide the actual room dimensions? It will help us know what can fit where. Google hidden seating for some ideas on how to add seating for occassional guests.
    ...See More

Layout Dilemma- family TV room- advice welcome- I cant make it work!

Q

Comments (3)
    From what I can see nothing is facing the TV dead on . I usaully design media spaces with furniture placed to view the screen dead on for at least the sofa I have 2 sofas in my media room and also 2 chairs the TV is viewed easily from the 2 sofas and we have a swivel TV stand so it can be angled when needed for including the 2 chairs . . I think the issue is you keep trying to put the sectional in a corner just place it to ideally view the screen then add another chair if needed the sectional will float nicely in the spac e.put the TV where that seating faces the TV best.
    ...See More
  • jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Yes the kitchen was already in this spot which is why I erased it from the drawing I posted. Our current layout is you walk into our living room from our front door and I did not want that feeling. our backyard is very extensive with an inground pool which is why we wanted to be a focal point to be able to enjoy the outside viewing angle.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

You need to shift the door. It opens into whatever that room is in a very awkward way. If the door moves to closer to the bedrooms then it means there is an entry area and then the room can be used appropriately either as a living or dining room. Right now the space isn’t useable because of the door location.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

Its not possible to really help you without an accurate and complete as-built drawing. i have ideas id like to share, but cant try them out without dimensions.

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

This is our current home. The 36’-2” by 15’-6” was the addition we are able to build, extending the home.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

So the location of the kitchen on the new plan is new? The current door is on the left and not centred? Right now the living room feels in the doorway because it is. You have the tv by the door and the kitchen right there too. If you had more space this front area wouldn’t feel so in the way.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Near as I can figure?

The new kitchen and the new seating group is entirely the new addition. Yes/No ?

Or , in some attempt to make sense of the entire thing, ( MINUS a demo plan to scale, which shows the walls coming down and moving in combination with new being built added on )

That's my assumption lol

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Yes! The location of the new kitchen and living room is to be placed in the new addition. We planned on centering the front door and knocking down the current walls of the current kitchen into our dining room and living room area to open up the space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

I suggest you go back to the arch.

Your plan shows no entry door "centered" .

It's a useless pursuit here, until you show a more comprehensive plan.

You have wishes such as "two sided fire"

Two sided between what and what? Which rooms? You have all the wasted space on entry. Most important?

Why.....when you have an entirely new addition space is the kitchen even on that ( same ) side of your home, forcing you further from what may be your most frequent entry with groceries?

You're focused on the kitchen? But it seems in the wrong location.

Sometimes, you just have to back to the drawing board.

Or.........you consider a tear down. Often cheaper pound for pound. In this scenario? Possibly faster as well.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

The front door is in the centre on the new plan Jan. It’s not a good spot. Also there is no good spot for a two sided fireplace which are generally meh anyway so why put one in. I don’t think the kitchen location is awful but it could swap with living and that would make kitchen open to dining and living more nicely.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

Does this house have a basement?

And would you please post the doggone as- built drawing of your current house with DIMENSIONS?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Maybe the OP doesn’t have that. You’ve asked for it multiple times and it’s not been shared after all

• anj_p
    last year

I haven't read all the comments. I would not want a dining room with no windows, nor would I want a foyer that's the size of a living room. Decide how you are going to use that space if you go forward with this plan, because a hall tree will only get you so far.

I get wanting a new kitchen but you'd be better off putting your kitchen by the front door and using that big blank garage wall for cabinets. I also am not a fan of the front door/stairs situation, as your stairs don't line up with your door, so I'd plan on fixing that as well. For the amount of money you will be spending, I would want to end up with a better layout.

• coray
    last year

I have nothing new to offer, just agreeing with those who suggest swapping the kitchen and family/living room…..it’s too far from the garage this way. If not: The primary bedroom seems small; removing the corner walk-in pantry (put fridge there) and putting a cabinetry pantry with pull-outs along the wall where your architect is showing the fridge currently will give you a bit of extra breathing room in the master bath. I would reconsider putting a double-sink vanity there….the space seems too tight. One sink with more counter space seems wiser.

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Of course in a perfect world a tear down and fresh build is ideal… in reality… we are adding an addition to our current home.
    I am not fixated on bringing groceries from the garage into the kitchen.
    Going back to the drawing board was posting on Houzz for some helpful suggestions. I thought this was what the platform was for.
    I unfortunately do not have an as built drawing with dimensions.
    Yes, there is a fully finished basement.
    Swapping the new living room and new kitchen was an idea.
    Our goal was to maximize space with what we were capable of adding and affording for our growing family.
    We cherish our backyard space and the location of where we live, we are not moving.
    A big kitchen and fireplace was our goal. We looked at the addition and opening up the current kitchen living room walls, would allow a blank slate to position things where we wanted. However, we are having difficulty seeing outside of this design. Of course I would love a foyer and entry way but this is what we have and what we are working with. So we are trying to make the best out of it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You could be "fixated" without realizing you're putting rooms in same place, when you have the option NOT to do that.

None of that plumbing /elec is going to be the old, it will all be the new.

Any idea, that anyone would have here would have to be presented by you , to the arch.

That means you could skip us, and give the arch the opportunity to refine this, and THEN return here . With the new plan.

I say that hoping it IS an actual arch, and not just a draftsman: )

Things that bring that to my mind? A corner corner walk in pantry. .......

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

In a renovation you work with what you have a lot. It’s reality. I don’t think your plan is inherently awful. I think changes can improve it. I really think you will regret centring the front door. I do think you can create a bit of a foyer with a partial wall and furniture placement. But on the left not centred

• RTHawk
    last year

Here is a crude rearrangement - mamagoose's kitchen plan (from an earlier thread) moved to the right, dining room to the left of kitchen (with linear fireplace) and living room moved to the front (no fireplace). Front door would need to be moved to the side and there is probably space for a foyer. Add skylights for more natural light in the LR?

• beesneeds
    last year

You could have a longer island if you wanted to. I think the only places you could put a double sided fireplace would be either between the kitchen and living room, or between the living room and the dining room.

What is it that makes you not confidant in the plan? Is it that it lacks those two things, or something else?

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, we considered both of those exact locations for the fireplace!
    The concern to place the fireplace between the kitchen and living room was if there would be enough walking space on either side. The concern to place between the living room and dining room was we would be taking away the backyard focal point which we love .

We were hoping for something unique or special detail that would make us confident in the plan.

• coray
    last year

Since you’re “working with what you have” (which is very realistic for most of us), maybe forget about the double-sided fireplace; it’s something, in the grand scheme of things, that one can live without. If it doesn’t fit, don’t force it. The right kitchen in the right location, with a good layout and well-functioning master bath, imho, are more important. Yes, this is the forum to seek advice, but you’ll get lots and lots of different opinions, many of which you won’t like or won’t work for you; many, however, are good suggestions. Jan Moyer is right: you’re starting fresh with that added area, so put rooms where they make the most sense. You might not be “fixated” on carrying your groceries from the garage into the kitchen, but listen to the pros here: you may quickly get tired of having to do that once it’s all done. You don’t have to take anyone’s advice here….if you have a GOOD architect you’re working with, he/she should be able to alleviate your concerns and amend your layout. Good luck.

• lharpie
    last year

Wait im confused. the door is currently on the left and you are moving it to the middle? you don’t like the door in the livingroom but are going to put it even more in the center of the room with no closet nearby? that sounds like the opposite of progress and still makes the front of the house a lot of wasted square footage as far as i can tell. What are you trying to accomplish with that?

eta: seems like you could do kitchen upper right like rthawk’s drawing then put dining table in entry area to keep LR with back view. a little strange to enter to DR but that is current plan anyway and would be better to have DR next to kitchen.

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

We thought centering the front door and adding windows on each side with stone on the exterior would be aesthetic. On the inside I was going to decorate with a couple sitting chairs, etc for seating. The closet would just be on the left, very close proximity to the door.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

Changing the front elevation like that is costly without any functional benefit. I wouldn't try to turn something like a raised ranch into a farmhouse. It is what it is.

• Becky Nelson
    last year

I haven’t studied this plan much but a few things to consider. You’ll get annoyed with fridge across the island. My sons house has that.
    Steal some space from walk in pantry and make closed toilet with door. Vanity could become longer then.
    You don’t want to walk into guest bathroom and see toilet first. Put toilet by shower and move vanity. Looks like you are squeezing 2 sinks when 1 nice big one will do

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@jacsturch

I know you have gotten a lot of negative feedback and that can be tough.

I would like you to take a look at your design and give some thought to how you plan on living in the space.

What works and what doesn't work in your current space?

What are your future needs (mentioned a growing family).

Do you need a big foyer? Will the narrow walk in closet give you enough hanging space for all your clothes? Would a reach in closet and a reach in pantry offer as much useable space without causing so much dead space? Will you need more storage space? A mud room? A study or game room? Will you need a place for toys? Do you want a fireplace where the TV should go or maybe plan on where the TV should be placed as the main focus?

A two sided fireplace can be pretty, but it has to fit the space and it certainly isn't as important as how the kitchen and living spaces work.

I think you could have a better design than the one you got. Hiring an interior designer to help figure out how to best use the space may be a very wise investment.

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you… we will be meeting with a kitchen designer soon and I hope she can provide insight on these other questions.

• rebunky
    last year

If there is enough space, could something like this work?

I think a two-sided fireplace with a vaulted ceiling would be amazing!

This idea keeps a formal dining and living room space up front and the family entertaining space in back facing the yard.

If a formal space is not your style, maybe you could plan something else for the front of the house. I thought possibly doing a large mudroom/pantry/laundry room where the formal dining is instead? I didn’t see a laundry room on the plan.

Definitely come back with whatever your architect comes up with.

I really liked the nice straight traffic flow in @sheloveslayouts plan too! I stole your idea and showed the green traffic lines.

ETA

Here show a pantry idea.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

There will never be enough width to place a two side fire in the vaulted space between family and breakfast.

If you want one? Two side at back with one side at patio........climate depending. Otherwise? Nope.

• rebunky
    last year

But I want it to fit Jan!

(Insert Sophie’s big feet in tiny shoes picture)

Yep, I don’t what I was thinking last night. Lol, my bad!

I think I saw this picture below and lost all sense of reality. 😵‍💫🥴🤪

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

There is a vast difference between a kitchen designer and a person who sells cabinets. Make sure you are hiring/getting help from an interior designer who specializes in kitchen design.

• 3onthetree
    last year

Unfortunately, you are nowhere near the stage of needing a Kitchen Designer. They certainly cannot advise in a professional capacity on the extent of the addition and how the whole house lays out. So that would be just a waste of money and time. Last thread, I continually asked about professional architectural help, because it was obvious the slate was still blank, with an "indifferent" direction of which way to move towards in the project. This scheme, it is still obvious. I don't know if you actually have help now (maybe just saying so to cull the "licensed" comments - it can be acceptable for you to feed ideas to a seasoned drafter if you are sophisticated enough in design), but either you are not getting competent service or you are just not telling the whole story. Not having an as-built and photos is a big tell. The information highway hasn't even risen to a trickle back n forth in either thread for any commenters to really help you.

So far your stated desires are a bigger island Kitchen, Living Room, and a double-sided FP. The development on your end of those ideas, and in concert with a budget and the existing house, are very primitive. You need to assess more of what "providing for a growing family" means; what "retaining views or access to the backyard pool" means to you, and etc. There are dozens of ways this project could go - if you are having trouble figuring some of that out, that is where a professional architect should be able to help you, being versed in space programming, schematic design, feasibility (structures, MEP, permitting, zoning, construction processes, etc), and ballpark costs. Right now, what I see and read in 3 threads is you are still in an exploratory stage.

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Rebunky that picture you displayed is what I am looking for. I wish I could know the room dimensions or measurements of something like that to apply to mine.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

You appear to have less than 40 feet across the new part? It’s not impossible to fit three spaces in that but why force it and then ignore the whole original front side of the house

• Erica Sorohan
    last year

Just two things: Maybe swap the living room and dining room? That doesn’t take any floor plan changes. Also, I’m just a little confused about the open space between what is labeled as the dining room and the exterior porch. Is this space designated for something? Or maybe I’m misreading the floor plan.

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Westcoast- yes, thank you. If I really wanted the fireplace to work then I could place in the original side of the house , separating the addition. But I think at the end of the day, our living room should have our backyard as our main focal point .

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

What about kitchen in old part, dining and living in new?

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Erica - the open space Between the dining room and exterior porch I was going to make a seating area. It’s not that large of a space, but enough for a couple chairs, bar, entry table idea.

The problem with swapping the living room and dining room was where would the fireplace go? Or tv placement? That might sound silly but we were thinking where would we watch tv if this is our main living room. Also right now when you open the front door you’re opening it right into our current living room.

• Erica Sorohan
    last year

Jacsturch—no, doesn’t sound silly. It should all reflect how you want to use your spaces. And I was projecting—I strongly disliked that in our house, originally, one had to go down a hallway from the kitchen to get to the dining room. (We changed that just by putting an opening where a pantry was located.)

Maybe someday your seating space and porch could become a screened porch or other indoor/outdoor space. Good luck!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

So crude but what about this?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Don’t forget you have more space now that the kitchen from the original house is gone. This will create a walkway around the new front room you did not have before and previously people were forced into that room instead

• rebunky
    last year

Jacstuch,

This one’s so pretty! I can see a dining table through the fireplace.

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

So nice!

Now if there was only way to view something like this AND my backyard space I would be set 😂

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

There are ways

• PRO
    squiresjay
    last year

Do you have anyone living with you like kids or is it you and your husband

• jacsturch
    Original Author
    last year

Jan Moyer- I have seen those options, I just assumed they were incredibly expensive.

Squiresjay- yes, two children. Boys.

• coray
    last year

Love Jan Moyer’s options….but yeah, they don’t look cheap.😱

• anj_p
    last year

I posted this below but not sure if it was seen.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus