SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regencywriter

Color savants, please help (photos)

Alyssa Fernandez
last year
last modified: last year

I'm choosing materials for my kitchen. My wall cabinets will be painted in White Dove (or possibly Dove Wing, which is slightly darker but has similar undertones), with a central island in a neutral gray-green. My kitchen gets lots of natural light from clerestory windows, and this picture has been a major inspiration:

Williamsburg kitchen remodel · More Info

I love the limestone floor, and have found a stone-look porcelain tile with a chiseled edge and textured matte finish that comes in the sizes necessary to do a Versailles/French pattern, Pietra di Ostuni by Cerdomus. It comes in four colors: Sabbia (sand, which is too orange-yellow), Grigio (too gray), Avorio (ivory) and Tufo (tuff, like the volcanic rock).

Here's a mosaic showing the color variation in Avorio:

And here's a mosaic showing the color variation in Tufo:

The problem is, I can't for the life of me decide which is likely to give me the bright, neutral look I'm aiming for. I think it's Avorio, and imagine that Tufo would look even darker next to White Dove (or Dove Wing) cabinets. Then again, I think there's some yellow in the Avorio, and I don't want to go too peachy-creamy because of the silvery undertones in my cabinets. Am I just imagining that, comparing it to the Tufo?

I would really appreciate any guidance and reassurance that might save me from making a choice I'll hate for the next fifteen to twenty years. Can any color savants out there provide some insight?

Comments (7)