SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snappity

Soapstone long distance/DIY

snappity
last year

I am wanting soapstone for my kitchen but am worried the one local fabricator might not be the best option, they only carry Saratoga in 2 shades, and it seems almost like they have it just to have it for the rare person that asks for it, and recent posts here have me nervous about fabricators sealing/ polishing etc, I want the more matte look.

I have ordered the M Tex sample box, but am very far from any of their locations. There is a Dorado dealer about 2.5 hours away with 3 slabs listed on their site. (I am in Maine.)

Our project will be relatively straightforward - a 30" slab and a 70"ish inch slab for the sink, with drain runnels and 3-4 faucet holes. No corners, and I'd want a basic edge profile. Is shipped soapstone a viable option? This is the biggest cosmetic splurge I want to do - after wall removal and updating all plumbing and electric - and I want to do it right.

Is Saratoga ok? Should I look into mail-order soapstone? Anyone in Maine have some good info? (whenever I search on the forum for soapstone it appears if I'd done this 15 years ago, I'd have had access to the best in the business, but Maine Soapstone Co is no longer, alas.)

Comments (41)