SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

Hearing loss/aids question(s)

I've read a couple of past threads and gleaned some good info, but I still have some questions and hoping some of you can help.

My 90 year old mother has hearing loss that has deteriorated rapidly over the last year or two. I made an appointment with what I thought was an audiologist but turned out to be a technician (seems to be standard here). She did testing and found that the loss was profound.

She recommended some in ear hearing aids ($6000 CDN) and loaned us a pair. She did a bit of adjustment in the office that day. Honestly, they did not seem to work any better than the pair my brother had previously ordered off big A for $500. The technician explained that because the loss is profound, that is to be expected, but that they would work better over time as she got used to them. I'm not convinced.

In researching, I've found that there are behind the ear aids that might work better for her. There are some that can be linked to an iPhone or TV? I've even heard there were aids being brought to the market by iPhone or a similar company, but I can't find info on availability.

I'm going to try to call the office where she was tested and try to get more info. My main concern is that she needs a more specialized diagnosis and needs a better or different unit than what they sell.

Also, is there newer tech out there that I should be researching about before taking her to another appointment. She lives 1.5 hours away from the nearest city (and from me), so getting her anywhere is a major endeavour and I don't want to waste our time/nrg with fruitless trips. Thanks for sharing any expertise you may have.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor