SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slimoedee

Define Your House

JustDoIt
last year

Well, I just brought another chair that doesn't match anything but I absolutely LOVE it. My plan was to have a "transitional" house and it has now transitioned (pun intended) to more eclectic and fast moving towards maximalist deriving from clearances, consignments stores, Craigslist, etc.

How would you define your house:

a) Pottery Barn

b) Restoration Hardware - modern/minimalist

c) Ikea

d) Ethan Allen or other local traditional furniture store

e) Traditional - collected overtime, travel, etc.

f) Eclectic - includes family gifts, thrift store finds, etc.

Comments (93)

• Sueb20
    last year

Exterior: 1900 Victorian.

Interior: all original detail is there, but decor is not at all Victorian. I would say eclectic/traditional with a few contemporary touches. Lots of original art and travel souvenirs. Furniture ranges from Room & Board to thrift shop. Mostly warm colors. Two dogs and about 35 houseplants.

JustDoIt thanked Sueb20
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Mostly traditional furniture in an 1820 stone row house with all original features, including draughts.

JustDoIt thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Related Discussions

Does Your Garden Have a Focal Point or Defining Feature?

Q

Comments (34)
    My ex didn't want me to get this birdbath and it is one of the things that was the final straw in our marriage. Actually the other thing was three round bales of hay. That was nine years ago. When I had this birdbath on the other side of my creek before I moved the garden over here, I had Ranuculas around it which looked really pretty. When I get my new bare root roses through the mail, the roses get put in the bird bath prior to planting. All the large rainfall last Summer killed my perianals around the birdbath. I will have to get some more My girls put this statue in the birdbath some years ago, the lady is nursing a baby and I thought it was appropiate. Too bad about her neck or head and I haven't repaired it yet.
    ...See More

How Would You Define Your Garden Vision?

Q

Comments (46)
    Without a doubt, my garden vision would best be described as an extension of my personality. It's not all that uncommon for me to be referred to as weird nor for my reply to be a simple thank you. My garden isn't often painted in such a harsh shade but more so in a never seen anything quite like it tone which I generally acknowledge to be a compliment ;-) My motto has almost always been that necessity is a mutha and my garden began under that premise. The landscape was a disaster both cosmetically and structurally. My conscience would not allow me to put my wife through the embarassment any longer and some erosion/water torrent issues required urgent structural changes to a hillside. In an attempt to begin to solve the hillside issues, I started with an 80,000 lb pile of rocks that would soon become the foundation for my 3/4 of a decade 3,000,000 pounds of hardscape garden vision. As that first pile of rocks began to be placed and transformed into a koi pond and rock garden, my vision started to take shape. Knowing absolutely nothing of landscape design or what style was what, I simply decided to take advantage of my odd lot shape and changes in elevation and try to change scenery and style around every corner. Virtually every section has a water feature, a different pathway surface, different specimen type plants and my own fence and gate designs. Some sections are a bit more formal, some more natural but all are filled with a lot of color, both in foliage and flower. Along the way as I was getting closer and closer to it all coming together, I started to recognize the amazing contribution that roses were making to my overall scheme, especially when it came to my constant quest for late summer color. That's what brought me to these great rose forums. While I consider that a great thing, I suppose some who grow weary of my gallery postings might beg to differ. Nevertheless, I am now somewhere between 60 and 70 roses and counting and can finally begin the task of perfecting my care techniques for them.
    ...See More

'A house defines the very spirit of who we are'

Q

Comments (15)
    'A house defines the very spirit of who we are'. No, it doesn't. A house might reflect the spirit of who we are, but that is either backward, or a marketing gimmick. How is it a marketing ploy? Well, It's hinting that if we buy or do the 'right' thing, it'll make us better, richer, more attractive. Sort of like picking out a dog because it's fashionable. Yes, I suppose the 'right' house could feed a person's ego if it were fancy enough with the right amenities, and in the right spot. But if you have to buy a certain house to define yourself, that's sad. For many reasons like the other posters have noted, it may not even reflect a person's spirit. One lives within monetary restraints, or lives where they don't want to for various reasons, usually involved with work. That being said, there are occasions when someone connects with a house and there is an instant bond and one can feel as if they and their house are interconnected and it just fits. The property in which I am living now fits that description. I knew the instant I lay eyes on it, it just called to me. Belonged to a fellow I had just started dating and when he drove me home for a dinner he was going to prepare, I was smitten. LOL with the house first, the fellow later. It's not fancy, never was. It has been a work in progress since we married 25 years ago as our lives and the house's life mingled. I ended up quiting my job and starting up an agricultural business on the property. Over the years, I have replanted an orchard, put up structures, repaired the chicken coop and pulled out the cobble and restored. It's a monstrous old Federal and it's just the two of us here now and the grounds take a lot of upkeep. Never plan on downsizing and we'll keep it up as best we can and croak here one day I suppose. We saved it from certain demolition and gave it a new life and it seems almost 'grateful'. Not fancy, but suits our simple life. It does reflect our spirit. But it didn't define it.
    ...See More

Exterior design direction & front door jamb color

Q

Comments (1)
    It looks like most of the trim is already white and now you have painted part of it brown. It will look more consistant if all or most of the trim matches. I tend to agree with your husband on the door trim. The "frame" around the door can either blend in or stand out. Like you noted, painting it the same color as the door makes it blend in (most people want doors to stand out). I think that painting the door trim and other added trim white to match the rest of the house would look better.
    ...See More
  • Olychick
    last year

Mine is PNW contemporary with lots of windows in every room, no window coverings with views to the forest, very plain Douglas fir trim, oak floors, birch cabinets, post and beam construction, so a few very large, gorgeous beams showing, but the ceilings are only 9'. All the windows keep it from feeling closed in by today's standard of higher ceilings. Furnished in an eclectic transitional style with a riot of color because I am so sick of neutrals. I have my grandmother's mission style old oak dining set and a couple of other family antiques (plain, not fancy or ornate), a Scandinavian style wood stove in the center of the open concept rooms. It's a cozy home.

JustDoIt thanked Olychick
  • Jilly
    last year

I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s descriptions. Thanks for starting this, JustDoIt.

And I want a tour of Floral’s 1820 stone house (and gardens).

JustDoIt thanked Jilly
  • rubyclaire
    last year

I would describe my home as a Traditional/Ecclectic mix. Other than larger upholstered pieces, most of the furniture in our home has been acquiried over the years. Mostly from antique markets, a couple of thrift store finds, and a couple of PB and Ballards pieces. I have so enjoyed the process of collecting things for my nest and don't like to get rid of anything. I have a connection to almost everything. So, it is hard to come to terms with really not needing anything additional. Well, actually, I do need a new sofa and a couple of chairs in the living room and would like to redo our bedroom, but other than that I'm done and don't want to be!!

JustDoIt thanked rubyclaire
  • beesneeds
    last year

Midcentury contractors workhouse. We are the first folks to own it after the original owners built the various parts of the house over time. It's quirky, two different houses over a couple generations, with another section of house joining the two into one large wandering house by the last generation before it was sold to us. We don't really have a decor style. Furniture is a mix of hand me downs, thrift finds, random gifts, inherited pieces. Function before form more often than not. I tend to hang cooking utensels on the kitchen walls instead of art. I like color, reds, orange, yellow, green, rich browns and wood tones.

Possibly the oddest decor in my odd house is the living room. The display space in my living room gets shifted on the regular- I do miniature villages year round and shift around the villages according to holidays or time of year. Next week the mantel will lose it's Halloween and get a Thanksviging day parade :) The built in will see it's skeletons dance into storage and the reset started over to what will become ski hills and Santas village over a couple weeks.

JustDoIt thanked beesneeds
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

Pottery Barn with a side of doghair

JustDoIt thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

Traditional/eclectic, with a few craftsman touches and some antiques and vintage pieces thrown in for fun. We built our house 22 years ago and I’m trying to decide what needs to be updated now. DH never likes to change anything. I’m wanting to pare down at this stage of our lives.

Of course we’ve painted and most rooms are very neutral with color added in art, pillows, etc. One spare bedroom is furniture from my childhood and DH’s parents plus an iron bed. The rest of the furniture has been collected over time or a couple of other inherited pieces. We don’t have an Ikea anywhere close so not a thing from there. I do have a PB iron and glass piece I use for plants.

JustDoIt thanked OutsidePlaying
  • cran
    last year

Our 200 year old house is in a historic district it looks like a sea captain‘s house but actually was built by a buggy maker. Inside is traditional hopefully with a bit of a twist. i can totally relate to @lily316 I dread the day we have leave our home it as brought us so much joy over the 36 years we have lived there. Thank you for this post @JustDoIt

JustDoIt thanked cran
  • Judy Good
    last year

Nothing fancy here but I would say, traditional/eclectic. Always welcome family and friends in a home like setting.

JustDoIt thanked Judy Good
  • pugga
    last year

My house was built in 2000. It's nestled at the end of a dead end street and surrounded by loads of huge old trees. You can see how the street developed from a couple of MCM houses at the top of the street, through a couple of mid-century modest and split level homes, and then a 1970s contemporary cedar home, and then mine. I bought it about four and a half years ago.

Mine was designed by an architect and is kind of a cape cod-ish style with contemporary elements. The interior design is similar with some traditional elements (doors, mullioned windows) and some leaning more contemporary (stair railings, vaulted living room ceiling).

My interior style is traditional/eclectic. I have a number of furniture pieces which were handed down through the family. There are also some Asian pieces that I've collected through the years, both in furniture pieces and artwork/knick knacks. Gotta have me a little Buddha scattered here and there.

I love color and have lots of blues and greens of different shades, a little red, a little gold. I also like a mix of patterns in my rooms and a little bit of funky when I can make it work.

JustDoIt thanked pugga
  • teeda
    last year

Traditional/eclectic. The only things purchased brand new were the sofas and carpets. Everything else is either antique, inherited or purchased at auctions/estate sales/thrifting. This has pretty much been my style forever.

JustDoIt thanked teeda
  • caroline94535
    last year
    last modified: last year

The formal name for my house is:

The Little House of Horrors on the Prairie.

It’s also a sibling to The Money Pit.

It’s old. Not old as in “quaint and charming,” but old as “tired, wounded, cobbled together with all elements mismatched, off kilter, not centered, not level, or plumb.”

The original part of the house was built in 1948. The back addition was put on in the ’70s by a drunken stoner.

It does have a sound roof - that we had put on.

It has a new furnace - that we installed.

It has a new on-demand hot water heater - that we installed.

It now has all new windows that no longer let the snow blow in and pile up in the floors - that we had installed.

It now has one broom/coat closet - that we had shoehorned into a corner of the livingroom.

And so on, and so forth.

It does have lots of colors; there is no “Gruesome Grey” anywhere!

Decorating Style? 🤣 is far less interesting than choice F.

But it‘s paid for and taxes are low.

I am thankful.

JustDoIt thanked caroline94535
  • nini804
    last year

We custom built our home 11 years ago. I wanted it to look like a 1920’s Georgian/Colonial on the exterior…with 10’ ceilings so the windows could be taller and let in more light. It is by far the most traditional looking home in our neighborhood.

Inside…totally Neo Traditional, or New Trad, whatever they call it. Phoebe Howard is my muse! i am averse to clutter, and things that are just *there.*

JustDoIt thanked nini804
  • User
    last year

I don't think anybody selected the Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware. Is that due to mainly to our ages?

Restoration Hardware is very expensive and they used to be so traditional, but transitioned to kind of weird. (In a good way, I like them, but they're not my style.) Also, they feel kind of intimidating to me. The one in my city -- you can't walk in w/o checking in with the receptionist first and waiting for a sales associate to fetch you from the waiting room. No thanks. They used to be like a normal store, so I thought that was a weird change.

Pottery Barn is not very popular anymore, the one in downtown Seattle closed about 10 years ago. Their furniture seems lovely if you favor traditional, but you can get that look at many other stores that are more affordable, and maybe it's just me, but the quality doesn't really seem to warrant the higher price tag. Just a guess though, I don't know PB very well.

JustDoIt thanked User
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

Our home is a 20 room historic federal style house on acres. The inside is traditional and electric.

We also have a weekend place in rural country, we live in the main house which is an old farmhouse built in 1900, inside is country and a little bit of everything. Extra stuff from primary house all landed there.

JustDoIt thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    last year

@lily316, your house came with a poem, that is so awesome! If you ever find it, please share, I’d love to hear about your ”Christmas House”. :-)

JustDoIt thanked lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
  • PRO
    User
    last year

My house exterior is a traditional saltbox, completely symmetrical two-story front with the door in the center.

Inside is minimalist. Bare floors, neutral paints, white trim--window treatments and upholstery provide pops of color. No clutter, no junk.

JustDoIt thanked User
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Friends call our house "Christmas in Connecticut." Anyone remember Marco? He called the style "farmhouse, after a particularly good harvest." LOL

Y'all dubbed our beachouse "The Captain's House." We like the style to look like Gran-ma-ma's old place with uneven updates.

JustDoIt thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    last year

Just to note: Mtn is talking about my houses and pretending they are hers.

We’re used to it over on our board, and indulge her.

JustDoIt thanked Jilly
  • PattiG(rose)
    last year

Ranch tract home on acre lot. 1978 vintage and the furnishings inside are a mix of things we bought and sentimental family items and furniture. Comfy, but badly needs updating. At least it's clean, and has minimal clutter.

JustDoIt thanked PattiG(rose)
  • chinacatpeekin
    last year

My North Oakland house is a California Bungalow Craftsman built in 1914. It was the first house we looked at when we set out to buy a home in Oakland or Berkeley in 1987. We got lucky! Although it is not large, and had only two bedrooms and one bathroom, the rooms are graceful and feel spacious, the master is double sized thanks to an addition off the back (done decades before we moved in) and there’s a plus room that we were easily able to use as a third bedroom. In 2020 I built an ADU in the walk-out basement, currently occupied by my adult DD. The first thing I remember noticing when first viewing the house was the handmade hardware on the beautiful Craftsman front door. The oak floors have mahogany inlay. The living room and one bedroom have coved ceilings, and there are built ins cabinets,wainscoting and a box beam ceiling in the dining room. The eat-in kitchen (since remodeled twice) was really unattractive, but did have the original bench and wainscoting. It was a foggy day when we first saw the house, but after moving in we realized we had a view of the bay, SF, the Golden Gate and Bay bridges, and the Marin Headlands- although the once expansive view has been obscured by trees over the years.
    My style is definitely a combination of eclectic and traditional. All the furniture is vintage (some inherited); only the mattresses were purchased new. I have some Japanese tansu pieces mixed with European pine cabinets and armoires, MCM sofas and armchairs, a 15th century French cabinet/sideboard and a Persian rug I inherited from my parents. I collect artwork, vintage pottery and ceramic pieces from travels and flea markets. I have close friends who are artists and own a gallery nearby and have had the opportunity to purchase art from them as well.
    I’ve lived in this house for 35 years, and it’s been a constant work in progress- only recently do I feel that it is finally as I envisioned.

JustDoIt thanked chinacatpeekin
  • robo (z6a)
    last year

C:IKEA F: ECLECTIC and G: SHABBY. Not shabby chic, just shabby. Oh and H: PLEASE WON'T SOMEONE COME DECLUTTER FOR ME.

Outside is homely beige postwar box. But that fits with the neighbourhood.

JustDoIt thanked robo (z6a)
  • JustDoIt
    Original Author
    last year

Jinx - I would buy it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Jinx, Let's do that as a fundraiser! Habitat for Humanity? Hello moderators.

JustDoIt thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • chinacatpeekin
    last year

I love this idea!

JustDoIt thanked chinacatpeekin
  • User
    last year

Yikes! I’ll have to explain this on my kitchen counter.

JustDoIt thanked User
  • LynnNM
    last year

I, too, am enjoying this thread so much!

Beesneeds: I would love to see your Thanksgiving (and Christmas, etc etc.) mantel village decorations once they’re up! Please consider sharing them with us here.

JustDoIt thanked LynnNM
  • Oakley
    last year

Justdoit, you and I are the same way. I love when I adopt a chair that doesn't match.

Both E and F, traditional and Eclectic.

JustDoIt thanked Oakley
  • nekotish
    last year

Combination of E & F here too. Our house itself is no particular style. We raized the original house to the floorboards and worked with the existing footprint for the most part. Lots of windows, all hardwood except for two bedrooms - nothing outstanding architecture wise, but it suits us just fine.

JustDoIt thanked nekotish
  • claudia valentine
    last year

My style is cheaply built suburban cracker box house, almost completely indistinguishable from any other of it's kind up and down the street, furnished with complete serendipity and found and inherited furniture. Now it has the added patina of looking like old folks live here, because it is true.

When we bought it we needed a house in a good location and we needed it quickly. So, here we still are 40 years later. The location still serves us well but the house was never more than a cheaply built tract house that was not built to outlast the cheap five dollar fixtures it was built with without periodic replacing of just about everything.

I have cleared out and eliminated as much superfluous stuff as I can short of having it verging on empty and I care not one fig for material possessions or matching furniture, or any of it ,as long as my house is clean, uncluttered and comfortable, I do have an aesthetic sense, and that echos simplicity with only those few things that I find beauty and personal meaning in. i still find my home warm and inviting. It is not as if you walk in to a spare and cold and completely bare surrounding.

As I got older I found less and less value in material wealth or possessions. Material things beyond those that support comfort, health, security or hold meaning or beauty seem to be so ridiculous to me now.

We raised our family in this house with all the mismatched everything and home means a lot. Someday it will be filled with the sights, sounds, and smells of other people and will be THEIR home. We, and all of our meaningful material possessions will have passed on and been forgotten.

JustDoIt thanked claudia valentine
  • User
    last year

This is a wonderful thread, and I'm not sure why I haven't opened it til now! I would absolutely buy the proposed coffee table book. Someone, DO IT! Seriously!

My house? Well, it was one I wasn't that keen on even looking at when we drove by it for the first time. It wasn't exactly what I envisioned -- basically a big, tall box on the outside with a bit of rustic/slightly-Texas-Hill-Country styling to the facade (brick, stone, dark cedar accents). Once we walked in, however, I fell deeply in love and had to have it. The interior architecture is probably best described as traditional-transitional, and my decor is decidedly eclectic. I have a fairly extensive collection of Native American artwork that fills both floors so there is very much a Southwestern vibe, and also a love of England that comes through as well in some of my furnishings (leather Chesterfield, barley-twist table) and collections, Stickley Mission oak, Italian and Spanish ceramics ... Yeah, I'm all over the map. But it's home and it FEELS like home to me. I know it's a cliche to assert that one's home is like a warm embrace, but it does to me. I sometimes think about where we want to live in full retirement, still a few years off, and I can't really imagine leaving this house. If I could pull it up and move it to the mountains or the desert, that would be ideal. But, as we can live neither in the past nor in the future, I'm content to simply enjoy what we have created (and continue to create) here.

JustDoIt thanked User
  • yeonassky
    last year

A place where my family including pets fits. Our clothes fit into the closets and I can have a Scrabble board set up all the time. Other than that it's a Delta special. Similar to a Vancouver special but not so special.

JustDoIt thanked yeonassky
  • faftris
    last year

My house was a 30's colonial with a lot of built-in cabinets and 38 windows. Now I am in a 1986 condo, apartment style, not a townhouse, but, luckily, my 1980 dark cherry DR and LR furniture fit in just fine. I have Victorian antique pieces, 1880's ceiling fixtures and table lamps, and other old stuff, including DH. All of my things "spoke" to me when I got them, and they are still talking.

JustDoIt thanked faftris
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

Beesneeds, it sounds like you have a family compou…Awesome! How many bedrooms and baths? it must be nice to have the extra room for family and friends. There is an extra long house next to 79 in PA, it looks like someone connected two houses into one. It’s nicely connected though, it lights up at night, and it has a beautiful garden in the back that can be viewed during the winter months from highway 79.

JustDoIt thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • beesneeds
    last year

It's a 8 bed, 5 bath. But two of the bedrooms and one bath are actually a seperate unit on the second floor of the second house built. They removed the interior stairwell that once made it open to the first floor and made it a seperate unit when they built in the connection between the two houses. The stairwell would have interfered with the connection, and at that time they needed the seperation since there were 4 generations under the roof at the time, and one family was upstairs. It was a family buisness site- we also have a few large outbuildings that they used as workshops and storage of so so very much stuff.

I've posted some pics here of holiday village action in the past. In holiday decor threads where it was on topic. It's usually been Christmas village, sometimes Halloween. Not many folks have threads about stuff like Thanksgiving or July Fourth decor.

JustDoIt thanked beesneeds
  • Jasdip
    last year

Great thread!

I live in a rental in a triplex. 3 apartments, one on each floor. I live on the top floor, lots of windows and light.

I don't buy many things new, except for furniture, tv and the like. I'll gladly re-purpose things or get second-hand. The cabinet my tv sits on is from a friend who was getting rid of it, the microwave is from Freecycle when mine bit the dust, and it's still going strong 8 years later. I get what I want for whatever purpose, no particular style in mind.

The kitchen is large with a space big enough for a cabinet to store my extra casserole dishes etc.

This is a stereo cabinet that was on Freecycle and I jumped on it. The slide-out shelves were for turntable, components etc. The bottom doors have dividers for record albums which of course are perfect for baking sheets and my recipe binders.

I love, love this piece.

JustDoIt thanked Jasdip
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

It is in a very old part of town. It was a company town, with dormitories for the workers and larger houses for the managers. But they were all similar. There are four five different styles and each is called a certain name such as the Manassas house, or the Deco house... Neither of these is a real name.. but everyone in the neighborhood will say, well what do you have? And you answer I have a Deco house. However, we don't have a homeowners association and these houses have been around more than a hundred years, so nothing looks the same on the outside. It might be flamingo colored, or gray green, or four houses on the corner might all be blue but different colors of blue. It is an eclectic neighborhood, and everyone who comes here loves it. I still have the parlor stove in my basement that used to heat my house. And I can't use the fireplace, because it's only built for coal. The house has retained all its old charm, with current day comfort. The only thing all the neighbors have in common is we live on the lake. So I describe it as unique.

JustDoIt thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • claudia valentine
    last year

Rob, maybe you live in Manassas? I have family and close ties there. As far as I know , the name "Manassas" only applies to this one town.

JustDoIt thanked claudia valentine
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

I live in Nashville 😉

Though, I do know where that is

JustDoIt thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

Cozy and cluttered. LOL I have a lot of Indigenous art as well as Dutch pieces in my living room. My coffee table (it's actually a shoe stand), tv stand, dvd stand and hutch are all matching Ikea pieces. I have a tiny house (a cottage to some lol), and too many things in it. I would love to declutter and get rid of a lot of stuff but I like my stuff. No, I'm not a hoarder. I can find my floor and couch. ;) I would love a more eclectic home. I really REALLY want a couch that has flowers on the back, polka dots on the arms and stripes on the cushions. I want a few Victorian things here and there, yet rustic pieces (which I have already) for displaying things. I like old with new. I like a variety. The house itself is a 1958 bungalow with a huge yard. Well compared to the new neighbourhoods, it's very large. Nowadays two yards on my street will hold three houses in a new area. Other than the few items in my living room, nothing matches anywhere else in the house.

@robo (z6a) I read your comment after I posted mine and burst out laughing. I think we have the same house. hahahaha!

JustDoIt thanked WittyNickNameHere ;)
  • bragu_DSM 5
    last year

rectangle ... two doors ... umpteen windows with skylights

JustDoIt thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Feathers11
    last year

Great thread! I missed it originally. I've enjoyed reading the descriptions above.

My house is located in the oldest neighborhood in my city (a suburb of Chicago). The lot used to be part of the house next door, one of this city's original houses. The owners sold my lot to a builder, and the city required the builder of my house to blend it into the neighborhood. This area doesn't have the teardown-turned-monstrosity that many suburbs have.

Even though my house appears older on the outside, it has modern amenities on the inside. For decor, I have a bit of each of the OP's list. I love nature, and I have a lot of nods there--houseplants, botanical art, texture and neutrals. I'm not adventurous when it comes to color. I wish I were!

My lot is a smaller urban lot, and I manage it on my own. I enjoy working on it, and I'm transforming the backyard, in particular. I don't know how long I'll be here, but I'll leave it much better than when I bought it.

JustDoIt thanked Feathers11
  • pekemom
    last year

Eclectic

Old furniture refinished to their natural wood color.

Lots of plants.

Trying to simplify but not to a minimalistic degree.

JustDoIt thanked pekemom
  • JustDoIt
    Original Author
    last year

I love everybody's descriptions. One statement that stood out to me wasn't exactly about a house:

Restoration Hardware is very expensive and they used to be so traditional, but transitioned to kind of weird. (In a good way, I like them, but they're not my style.) Also, they feel kind of intimidating to me. The one in my city -- you can't walk in w/o checking in with the receptionist first and waiting for a sales associate to fetch you from the waiting room.

This would drive me batty. Give me a break.

• nola_anne
    last year

Two rooms and a bath upstairs in my son and his family's home. Since widowhood I sold our home and was invited here to stay as long as I wanted to...it's been two years and the two cats and I are quite comfy and happy with nothing to do but what we want to do every day of the week...it's almost like being on vacation. I would look for an apartment but each time I mention it my family locks me in here...LOL (It's so nice to be wanted!)

JustDoIt thanked nola_anne
  • Sister Sunnie
    last year

A three bedroom ranch house built 1980, with a catheral ceiling, exposed beamed living room with a great floor to ceiling fireplace. Warm white walls, wood floors in all the rooms. Funky Funky, eclectic eclectic, well loved furniture (lots of wood, pottery pottery, wicker wicker, etc etc) tans tans, rust and blue. light, minimal ish, Large windows that look out on the fields and pastures. sitting here now with fire going and watching the cows. Nestled in the middle of acres of family farm, surrounded by woods. Several big red barns in back that house all sorts of farm stuff AND my workshop. we recently moved back to the farm and after several years of renovations and builds (just had a large screened porch added) this is our cozy retirement home. we re currently converting a space in one of the barns to a bunkhouse for viisting family. There is such peace here, i cant imagine leaving….

JustDoIt thanked Sister Sunnie
  • Annegriet
    last year

An albatross. It's weighing me down. I want to live footloose and fancy free in a condo.

JustDoIt thanked Annegriet
  • nola_anne
    last year

floral_uk ... what are draughts? Thanks in advance.

JustDoIt thanked nola_anne