SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_411912784

Window Help Please

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can tell me what to do here. We bought a new home. I am in the process of ordering window coverings for it. in our great room I have decided to do woven shades and drapery panels.

The company we are working with is proposing three double width panels as accent panels only. They will be white linen and have an accent trim on the inside of each panel. The center double width panel would have accent trim on both edges.

The concern I have with this is that on the center panel , i’m afraid it won’t look equally full enough compared to the outside panels. The window is a bank of four windows totalling 178” wide. This includes all trim work.

I brought up my concerns and asked if the center panel shoud be 4x width and they said no. This means i will have a double width panel on left and right as well as the panel in the center. In my mind they should look like two matching sets of window panels.

Hoping someome who deals with window coverings all the time can advise on this before i order them.

These are the windows being covered

this is what the window woman drew out quickly to help me visualize

Comments (40)

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

Why would the panel in the middle be 4x the width. They should all be the same FULLNESS-2x so that when you pull them closed they will meet in the middle of each window. I would not want the middle panel bunched up holding back 4x fullness. 2X fullness all around.

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

Thats just it, in mind they wouldnt be even. You would have a double width on left then essentially a single width (split the center double width panel they are proposing) and then a double width on right.

I’m thinking of them as two windows.

• Related Discussions

Shutters on all windows? help please!

Q

Comments (29)
    I like the garage door to match the trim around it- so that would be cream in your case. I agree that the garage itself (since its attached and a part of the house) should be the same siding as the house (tan). Are you set on brown for shutter color? You could give it a little more pop with black, and step out of the brown family a bit. So it would be tan house, cream trim & garage door, black shutters and red door. Just an idea.
    ...See More

Kitchen window help, please

Q

Comments (27)
    Yes, Mtn, that IS it!! I got it a local shop, but she said they got it on a closeout somewhere.....it was a whopping $12.99 a yard! Nosoccermom, thanks! Yes, the island is a table. Like the light fixture, which was on the floor in a shop, the table was covered in candy and potpourri at a shop back in Texas, and I had to have it. I will get a better picture of it after my sleigh ride! Here it is..... It was hard to get picture with the snow.
    ...See More

Window help please!

Q

Comments (10)
    The fact that that glass is triangular (i.e. vs. a short leg trapezoid) at the bottom is going to be more challenging for many of your normal materials. There is a ton of protection from the elements so you could just install some Insulated Glass Units if you had a great glazier to work with. That, or you could have someone make you some customer frames for the glass to go in. Getting into the teens is usually out of the happy zone for thermally broken aluminum, but that could still work if the relative humidity is manager properly.
    ...See More

New home window help please!

Q

Comments (9)
    mine are bronze outside pine inside. we went with elevate by marvin. they were close in price but we wanted a double sliding door [2 doors on inside slide out] and it was much more with Andersen. I think that was big difference and I wanted a kitchen sliding window and I don't remember if Andersen didn't have it or it was more, it's been months. I wanted bronze/bronze but couldn't afford so we are painting inside SW Urbane Bronze. The Marvin Essential Bronze/Bronze were more expensive than Elevate Bronze/Pine to clarify.
    ...See More
  • btydrvn
    last year

They are not “two” sets of windows….listen to the “ window woman…

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I'm not sure I'd do the center drapery panel at all. Just do the ones on either side of the window.

Seaside Family room · More Info

Coastal Elegance thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

I would be more inclined to do this. Both rooms are in the same house and have the same window treatments with woven shades and drapes (one with double windows and the other with at least three that we can see.) I think you have room for a stack back on either side. I suggest something light and airy with no stripes on the edges. That would be too many vertical lines at the windows. Even with stationary panels, match the color to the walls or something in the furniture fabric..

Urban Townhome Living Room · More Info

Urban Townhome Breakfast Room · More Info

Crazy Wonderful Blog Living Room · More Info

Coastal Elegance thanked decoenthusiaste
  • btydrvn
    last year

Your window span is 15’… way too wide for only curtains on the ends…maybe enquire about only shades with pretty valances … that may not need curtain panels… as another option

• btydrvn
    last year

You have a lot of nice architectural details to keep the eye busy…. that will lessen the need for faux drapes

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

I originally only wanted two end panels and the window company I'm using said the bank of wimdows is too large to only address the two ends.

i didin’t like doing each window separately, way too busy for me.

i am not a valance person. i also don't want just shades. The ceiling height is 11’ dropped dowm to 10’ around perimeter. The room is very large. The spec home had two large sofas, four large chairs, 6 tables and a huge coffee table to give you an idea of the size.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I would do solar shades to control heat and UV and let you keep the view they also give you daytime privacy and IMO fake drapes always look cheap so do some nice full proper drapes and if night time privacy is a bit deal then you can close the drapes .

Coastal Elegance thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

I’m set on woven shades but im not opposed to the drapes being functional. I would think in order for them to be functional they would close in pairs over the two left windows and the two right windows which I guess is really my train of thought as to why I thought the center should be 4X because split in two it would match the 2X width of both the left and right panels. Maybe im not getting the image right in my head

• chispa
    last year

I would also just do 2 end panels. 4X width in the middle is going to block a whole bunch of your windows, which kind of defeats the point of having windows! Make sure to mount the rod beyond the window, so the end panels also don't block a chunk of your windows.

Coastal Elegance thanked chispa
  • Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

The panels she said will be 112” long so well above the window,

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Perhaps it would help to see what a double width linen panel looks like. This is one we did with a fabric on the inside lead. How bulky or compact also depends on the pleat style. Examply a goblet pleated panel will not stack back like a two prong euro pleat (which is what is pictured) will. A 3 pinch pleat will not stack back as compact either. So although 4 X width sounds like a lot if you are doing double width on each end and wanted to dress these windows as if they were two windows vs a bank of four to match the fullness when closing them (if functional) you would do 2x +2 x for the left window and 2x + 2x for the right windows. I would only do this with a compact style pleat as shown so you can get a tight stack back.

If not functional 2x for center is absolutely doable.

All that said I think if you're doing double width on the outside panels you don't need a center panel. Even with the expanse of windows .

Coastal Elegance thanked Design Interior South
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Sorry the photos don't seem to have attached.

Double width linen

Double width on large expanse of windows

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Well try as I might I can't seem to load any photos to this post tonight. Sorry!

• jackowskib
    last year

We have 4 windows also but with 9 ft ceiling. Previously I had custom drapes one on each end, and the designer wanted a single panel with small rod at each end. I got tired of that skimpy look pretty quickly. I will be looking for woven wood blinds first then see about drapes wider at each end. Good luck!

• Sara S
    last year

With all three section equal length, were you to close the curtains it would look sort of like you are covering a set of three wider windows instead of your set of 4, as the outside panels would have to go 2/3rds of the way across two windows, and the middle panel would go 1/3rd of the way across each set of two windows. But if you fully close the curtains is that a problem? If the windows are fully hidden, then it looking like three windows when they’re closed, and 4 windows when open might be a better solution then obscuring a lot of the middle area by having twice as much curtain there as at the ends?

Coastal Elegance thanked Sara S
  • btydrvn
    last year

My reference to shades with valances …was for the shades to have incorporated valances …set in to each opening…so when shades are up …the valances cover the rolled up shade….leaving some essence of a window treatment that fits inside the window layout as it is….trying to make 4 windows look like three will never work…the only option that will look like you wish…with panels to divide each window section ….would be to remove the window on the right..since it clearly also crowds your fireplace feature wall…also all the architectural detail implies a very formal space …will your furniture be formal or casual?…each of which will require a different type of treatment….honestly in view of the architecture ……panels that go to the ceiling or above the windows will be odd on a long narrow strip of windows..as opposed to taller windows or sliding doors…

• btydrvn
    last year

Another angle to consider is how easy will it be to open and close any of these choices if there is furniture in front of them?..especially if you will need to close for privacy at nite or sun in daytime…

• btydrvn
    last year

Many people use outdoor awnings in cases like this..to shade the deck for outside seating and relieve the need for sun block curtains for the interior…

• btydrvn
    last year

Keeping in mind that you may …want… the sun in the winter …so whatever you use should be easy to have open to let sun in…in winter..while offering shade in summer…

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

well a few things here that maybe you can’t tell by the photo. There is actually almost 4’ between the window on the right and the built in. It doesnt look crowded in person and there is no reason or need to change them. The cabinet doors were not on when this was taken but all cabinets are actually shaker with a quarter round piece of moulding to soften that look. whatever that style is called . Not all that formal. The woven shades are controlled with a remote control so there is no issue with opening or closing them.

The window coverings have already been chosen. i’m sold on them. my only question was the proposed center panel.

i am now leaning towards doing without it like a couple of you have mentioned..

i have spoken with the window gal again about not doing the center panel and she is now recommending if i do that to make the outisde panels 2 1/2-3 X width.

Design Interior South I wish your photos would have posted. I think seeing it would be helpful. The window gal showed me a double width photo and they looked nice. They seemed full so I‘m not sure why the need to go up to triple width is needed.

Thank you for your help everyone.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Trying again.....this is a double width panel with contrasting fabric on the inside lead. Two prong Euro pleats so they stack back nice and neat!

This is a pait of double width with no center panel on a bank of windows like you have tape on inside lead and two prong euro pleat

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Also here is the second one mentioned with a similart layout of the built ins being approx 3' from window

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Ugh second photo didnt post trying again

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

One last try. Double width with tape on the inside lead.

• jackowskib
    last year

Design Interior South, I have 4 windows too and wonder if rather than seeing all that rod going across (serving no purpose) to instead do 2 very decorative short rods one at each end?

• stiley
    last year

I understand what you're saying about 4x width, but I agree that you might want to just do the panels on the outside. A lot of window would be covered if you do the center drapery. I think with nice fullness on the outside plus your woven shades, the windows won't look skimpy.

@jackowskib here's a room with the short decorative rods. This was on a homes tour, and the room was done by a high-end designer, but I remembered these rods because I think they look so odd. I'm sure she had a reason for doing it this way, but I'd rather see the rod go all the way across.

• jackowskib
    last year

@Stiley I agree with you on that one! I would have taken them higher too!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Everyone has their own preference on rods. For me doing Short rods looks like you didn’t want to spend the money to put a full rod across the window. Even if the panels are dummy panels and not there to function IMO you still want to give the illusion that they are functioning and “complete”. Of course there are some instances where a full rod can’t work due to some type of moulding or beam work or angle, in which case you come up with other options like a shorter rod.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Check how designer Rebecca Robeson updated her family room with curtains. I hope it helps.

Coastal Elegance thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Nicetown Curtains
    last year
    last modified: last year

I personally prefer the curtains just on either side of the window. Here is some inspo:

Gonyea Homes & Remodeling · More Info

Eric Cohler Design: Living Rooms · More Info

Coastal Elegance thanked Nicetown Curtains
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

I think you will be very happy with your choice. Enjoy your new home!

• dsimber
    last year

Good luck, Coastal. I hope you will post a photo of your new window treatments.

@Celery. Visualization, Rendering images Great video. Thanks! Love what she did with windows. Do you agree that grommets are the way to go if one wants that very neat, uniform appearance with minimum stackback? How do you get the panels to hang without fanning out to take more space at the bottom than at the top? ( I see this so often, and it's not the look I want.)

• PRO
    last year

Yes I do agree. I use to have back tab curtains. After this video I replaced my velvet curtains and went with the same way as Rebecca did, two panels on each side. And yes it looks better, neat.

• dsimber
    last year

Thank you, Celerygirl! She used Wayfair. You?

I remember you having helped me two or three years ago. Good to see you are still helping others. 🤗

• PRO
    last year

I used Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HZNZPHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

There are semi sheer linen weave ones that I am pleased to for my sun room. Polyester that is better than pure linen for Florida sun. Longer lasting. I just used one panel for each side. And I ironed them before hanging.

There is Rebecca storefront as well. You can check.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

I always wonder why grommets became an indoor drapery panel option when In Reality they work with very few styles.

If you’re looking for the tightest and cleanest stack back and look a knife edge pleat is it. When made and installed correctly they are full proof on their movement and operation and a double width can stack back to under 12” with uniformity from top to bottom.

• dsimber
    last year

Design Interior South...Thanks! I'll look into that.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH