SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pezhead439

Heaven's Eye / Himmelsauge -- Experience growing?

pezhead439
last year

Hello Rosarians! Okay, so I've fallen in love with an old climber and am thinking about purchasing, but could use some advice from anyone familiar with this variety. HMF lists the name as "Heaven's Eye" and also cross-references it under the name "Himmelsauge". But it also says that the rose currently in trade is most likely, in fact, a rose called Russelliana, and that the original Heaven's Eye is probably lost.

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.27983.1&tab=1

Does anyone have experience growing any of these roses? I understand that it's a once-bloomer, and from what I've read, the blooms last up to a month depending on weather. I've read that the hips are colorful, too. The color apparently varies widely as the blooms fade (red/pink to purple, with some petals fading to very pale pink/purple). If you've grown this rose, can you please let me know if 1) you'd recommend it, and 2) if your experience is like what I've described above? I'm especially interested in finding out about the hips, because to me that makes up for the fact that it doesn't repeat bloom.

Many thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner