SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Squeezing a bathroom into a 12x16 attic bedroom - impossible?

AMS
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

I live in a small 1.5 story house from the 1940s, and my upstairs has a 12x16 room that I'd like to make into an ensuite. Note: a major design constraint is that the ceilings are angled, and to meet code for bathroom ceiling height requirements, the toilet really does have to be on the outer wall. I do not want to add a dormer, etc due to cost; I'd like to stay within the existing footprint.

My contractor proposed the solution below, but I wonder if a 9' wide bedroom will feel too cramped. Note- the open space on the bottom right is a cedar closet. It has an almost entirely slanted ceiling so wouldn't meet ceiling height requirements (but it means there is a ton of closet space, since the other long skinny yellow box is also an existing closet).

By my math, I could shave a foot off the width of the bathroom if I did a neo-angle shower instead - that would make the bedroom 10x12 (which for some reason feels much more acceptable to me). I didn't draw the walls because I am not a graphic designer :). Each square is 6". The concern here, of course, is that neo-angle showers can feel really cramped. Where is better to be cramped - the shower or my bedroom??

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Comments (116)