SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

What’s still blooming?

I know it’s fall, and there is a fall color thread, but I want to see what’s still blooming in your garden? Here’s the few in my yard. We have not had a freeze yet.

Hosta Pandora’s Box

Bee’s Jubilee Clematis

Platycodon Grandiflorus Astra Blue

Lobelia Queen Victoria

debra

Comments (51)

• functionthenlook
    last year

Not much at camp. We got our first frost. The hanging planters are torn out, the elephant ears and sweet potato bulbs are dug out, and the perennials are cut down. Just a few sickly looking impatiens, zinnias and marigolds are left. Next week I will start cutting down stuff at home. The land gives us all the color we need this time of year. We are almost at peak.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked functionthenlook
  • roxanna
    last year

No photos as I am still illiterate when it comes to posting any. Things still blooming are Cimicifuga with its intense honey scent, Anemone 'Honorine Joubert" and "Pamina" (which has proliferated mightily), asters and mums. And a last rose of summer has a couple of blooms. Most of our trees are oaks, so rather dull, sadly, but a couple of maples are looking pretty. Girding my loins to address planting daffs and tulips, etc, which I forgot I had ordered months ago and which arrived last week.... (why do I keep doing this?? Ah, yes -- when spring comes, I am very happy! Crippled, but happy)

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked roxanna
  • Related Discussions

Still Blooming and Still Looking Good

Q

Comments (2)
    What beautiful pictures. My So Sweet and all my other hostas just look like so much mush now. We had several days of below freezing in the 2nd week of October. That did it for pretty much all my plants. :( So I live vicariously through yours.. keep posting I love your pictures. Alexis
    ...See More

Still bloom and plants still putting up scapes

Q

Comments (17)
    Nancy, Etosha tends to rebloom here, but usually just one scape. And Kate, you almost feel bad about that you'd like them to finish. Alex and Debra, Marseilles Watercolor always re-blooms well, and usually early, which it did, but when it sent up the set of tall scapes, it didn't occur to me that even u the label said MW it cold actually be MW. I assumed it had to be Half Moon Key since MW has been much shorter every time...but I had cut off some of the tulip tree limbs and it is getting more sun, which may have helped. And that tree may go yet. Julia, it started April 24th and today I saw that Crazy Mr Jim has put up two scapes. Heavenly Angel Ice has scapes. It may well be September before it is finished. Lori, I need to move Jumpstart, I think. Thank you all for looking and commenting...and Brad, it really can go too long. kay
    ...See More

What’s blooming today?

Q

Comments (25)
    Happy Memorial Day holiday to everyone - hope you are able to enjoy your gardens this beautiful holiday!! noid peony & Loreley iris: White siberian look like birds flying amongst the perennial purple lupine: Pink Knockout Rose starting to bloom: Super dark noid purple TB iris, pink knockout, & baptisia in backgroud: 'Miss America' side blooms now opening: "Pink Luau" peony (planted 10/2017 - from Peonys Envy): noid peony: 'Pink Hawaiian Coral" - thank you, GW friend! (and you were right, it did indeed bloom its first year!) Coral Charm - bought 10/2017 from Paradise Gardens:
    ...See More

Here’s what’s been blooming lately

Q

Comments (115)
    Thanks for your compliments. Honestly, that arrangement WAS effortless. I did it outside as I deadheaded. Golden Buddha and partner, clematis ‘Franziska Marie’ are looking too nice not to share today. I just love all the dark to light color progressions Golden Buddha’s blooms go through. Felicia is really blooming well. A little spotty from the rain, but still pretty. Felicia’s blooms have a special sheen to them, impossible to capture with my phone camera. Carding Mill A nice new cane coming up in the middle of Carding Mill. Lisa
    ...See More
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    last year
    last modified: last year

Colchicum and Chrysamnthemum weyrichii White Bomb

I also have monkshood/aconitum blooming. I will see if I can get a photo.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    last year

Besides my fall-blooming perennials and still-blooming annuals, my shrub roses are still producing, as are some phlox, a few daisies, some salvia I don’t remember the name of, and, of course, the ever-blooming Rozanne.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
  • rosaprimula
    last year

Quite a lot. The garden and allotments look really rather lush after the horrible desperate summer. Although I have few traditional summer annuals, the nasturtiums and tagetes are rampant, while the salvias, which are my main replacements for rudbeckias and other autumn daisies, look fantastic. The shrubby salvias start flowering as early as May but reach an astonishing crescendo in October...and this autumn has been golden and gorgeous.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked rosaprimula
  • getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

Roses are still blooming (I posted some pictures in a rose thread so don't want to repeat). The purslane is still putting up effort to keep bloomimg on the cold shady balcony, verbena homestead is happy that the nicotianas shading them are largely gone thanks to some rust colored fungus. The straw flowers are carrying on so are petunias but they look tired and sparse. Mandevilla have been moved indoors and are loving the warmth and the morning sun through the windows. Jasmine grandiflorum manages to keep the living room scented with just a few blooms and the lone gerebera bloom is magical. I will post some pics from my phone later.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

Not as much as I used to have but glad it moved with me

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • djacob Z6a SE WI thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • Terry Haselden (7b, SC)
    last year

Toad Lilies

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Terry Haselden (7b, SC)
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    last year

Terry, your Toad Lilies are beautiful! I tried my hand growing them but they petered out on me. :-( What is your secret?

debra

• rosaprimula
    last year

Yep, that's quite some showing. Terry. I only ever had one which vanished in the general chaos of late summer. I have attempted various dainty woodlanders which all come to a miserable end (eomecon, glaucidium, anemonopsis, stylophorum, various anemones)...the list of fails is endless. I have some sort of shady jinx (and cluelessness)...although some of the epimediums turned out to be tougher than they appeared.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

Love that tricyrtis. Mine is just promising to bloom soon, I love its dainty flowers.

Rosaprimula, I have found that Anemones do best when transplanted in spring and very few nurseries sell them in spring so your best bet will be a friend willing to share.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    last year

Montauk daisies are insane!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Looking a bit scruffy now.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

New-ish bloom on ”Daisy May” shasta daisies. These plants have been producing blooms since I purchased them in early June!! Also, a few new blooms on Magnus coneflower. :-)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    last year

I love a thread like this :).

Excellent quality pictures all.

@tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱, your Actaea especially caught my interest as this plant is my latest 'obsession'.

Can you tell me a bit more about your plants.

What variety? How long have they been established? What are the light conditions? How large are they?

Given that they are blooming this late, might there be years that an earlier October frost might mean no flowers :(?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

They are all A simplex from the Atropurpurea group. Started with a straight Atro and then added Brunette and Hillside Black Beauty but that was 20 years ago and not sure any original plant is left. They do reseed for me and some have come up with the dark purplish foliage but most are a dark green. They are all in shade with maybe 2-3 hours of direct sun. The foliage is about 3 feet tall and the blooms go up to 5 feet on the tallest. It was a heavy clay area with decades of being top dressed with home-made compost. I can’t recall them ever not blooming and though that pic was taken last week, they started blooming the beginning of September.

tj

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    last year

Lindalana, your first picture…….is that a Sumac?
    debra

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

Yep, Tiger eyes. Moved with me.

Rouge, that Actaea simplex is pita abd spreads everywhere. Named ones not but many short lived.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last year

Bought this last week. NOID Hosta, Camellia Northern Lights, cyclamen, toad lilies

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    last year

Blue passionflower, old mophead hydrangea, Japanese anemone, and new alstroemeria

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

Monkshood are looking pretty good right now. I've got a few random shasta daisy flowers and potted asters and pansies that are blooming, and the perennial grasses. The annual geraniums will keep blooming for a few more weeks, they don't mind a light frost; I typically don't dig them for storage until late October, maybe November, depending on the weather. "Mystic Blue" salvia is still going strong, too -- another one that doesn't seem to mind light frosts.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last year

Fading fast, but my 'Red October' is still hanging in there. As is my winter hardy fuchsia...

Pieter

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last year

A quick scan of the front yard still shows some welcome colour!

Pieter

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
  • lat62
    last year

We have turned the corner to winter… this last lupine bud is now inside in a vase… i really enjoyed the color, it bloomed all summer

my marshmallow is pathetic but it survives:)

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked lat62
  • getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

Still got some color on my now sunless for a couple of months balcony.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    last year

less sun is getting to me as well, I hate coming home to a dark garden!

Asters, chrysanthemums, the last of the colchicums and the first of the snowdrops!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • rosaprimula
    last year

A few random ones from the garden. I am hopeless on my phone.-Tiny little keyboard for my fat stabbing fingers. Anyway, the top pic is what remains after a huge cutback (in order to get to the greenhouse). I have been banging on about this plant all summer but this photo doesn't begin to show the lushness of sphaeralcea ambigua 'Childerley'. A gorgeous thing (which I have propagated and handed round numerous plantlets as this is too good to keep to myself).

Next up - salvia coccinea and an unknown miniature fuchsia (which blooms all year round). A lovely little evergreen shrub.

Salvias are terrific late summer plants. As well as the ubiquitous 'Amistad', here is a not very good photo of the enormous s.involucrata and randon 'Bishop's Children' dahlia.

Finally, another salvia. I spared you all the many, many greggii, jamensis and microphyllas, all blooming their heads off...but now I know how to use my phone for photos, there's still plenty of time as most of them will flower to Xmas and beyond.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

I have a lot of roses blooming, hardy ageratum, dahlias, zinnias, chrysanthemums, vincas, clematis, nasturtiums, begonias, marigolds, salvia guarnitica, cosmos. We had our first frost about a month early but it seems to have avoided my yard mostly. A few things were zapped such as coleus. I have a huge tomato plant and learned to make fried green tomatoes in case they don't have time to ripen. I'm in zone 7a, NC.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked erasmus_gw
  • D M PNW
    last year

Torero lily

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked D M PNW
    last year

It’s November and helianthus ”Lemon Queen” is still pushing out a few new blooms. This plant is such a joy to have in my garden!

We’ve had a few frosty mornings here in SE Michigan, but temps have mostly been mild. Makes it hard to start thinking about outdoor Christmas decorations when things are still blooming!!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Lovemycorgi - I’m thinking of getting a Lemon Queen. I’m surprised to see blooms so close the base. Two things I wonder about - does it attract a lot of aphids and does it spread out a lot? Very pretty and cheerful and I love those blooms at the base, it’s a tall plant right?

Rosaprimula - pretty salvias, do you have hummers visit? What is the plant in the first photo?

Katob - I have a small lot with trees on every side, so when the angle of the sun changes, I really get a lot less sun. Even my full sun bed in the front, has shade on it half the day now.

I love your Mums and Asters - such pretty colors. You have Galanthus blooming now? Surprising.

GetGoing - Balcony gardens are so special. You have some good color still going.

Pieter - what is that rose in the first photo? The arrangement of petals is so appealing!

Floral - Your small garden certainly has a lot going on in every season. Is that a cyclamen? Very pretty and the flowers stand up higher and more erect than I expected. I love your pale pink Fuchsia - is that growing in the ground? You don’t often see a pale pink and I really like it. I haven’t grown wax begonias in awhile and your photo reminds me how much I like them. On the list for next year.

Terry - Toad lilies, such pretty blooms!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

I've posted photos of the few Mums blooming still on another thread...but today the sun was out and I took another couple because roses are still blooming really well. We are having very nice weather and they are enjoying it.

Two pinks - Savannah which opens into a button type petal arrangement...

And 'Beverly' that is very voluptuous large blooms and has about 13 buds on it just starting to open.

last year

Max Frei is trying:

Monkshood:

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Rouge - Your Max Frei looks very healthy considering the very hot and dry summer we had. And look at that blue on the Monkshood! Electric!

last year

Thanks @prairiemoon2 z6b MA. Each year I keep waiting for this stand of Monks to bulk up but still it "refuses" :(.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

At least you still have some. [g] I planted them and lost them in the first 2 years. I didn't replace them. Maybe you could just increase them? collect seed and start more or divide them and increase that way?

last year

I love love our Julia Childs. Here it is today:

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Looks very healthy!

last year

I find JC 'fool proof'.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Me too, it's my #1 rose for about 10 years now. Although, 'Beverly' is quickly becoming my #2. I am always recommending Julia Child, because it is so reliable, plenty vigorous every season, pushes out a lot of blooms with a minimum of attention, and normally has very healthy foliage. Roses are fragrant and you get good repeat bloom, what more can you ask for? The only thing more I wanted was a larger bloom and that's why I added Beverly - has huge blooms and very fragrant with repeat bloom too. I haven't had it long enough to confirm that it's healthy enough and reliable every year.

last year

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA, the blooms aren’t really at the base, they’re about 36” high, but definitely on the lower part of the plant (hard to tell on the photo because I took it looking down). The plant grew to about 6 or 7 feet tall this summer, and I only planted it last year. So far, the spread is only about 3 feet, but I expect it to perhaps double that next year, as well as getting even taller. So far no aphids, even though those nasty red things were all over my heliopsis. It’s a great perennial and I am thrilled with it so far!!

source for Lemon Queen:

https://www.perennialfarmmarketplace.com/products/helianthus-x-lemon-queen

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

I'm hoping to find one next spring...glad you are so happy with it!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Nice to see everyone’s fall blooms!

Terry: the toad lilys are too cute. I always want to grow them.

And I especially love to see folks’ roses, since I just started planting a lot this year and feel enthusiatic!

Prairiemoon: your bevery still has 13 buds to open! Mine is almost done.

Rouge: Julia child is the first rose I planted (not counting the knockout that was removed due to black spots) and she has always been a blooming machine foe me. I love her.

Here are my fall bloomers

Pineapple sage

Mexican bush sage

Camellias

Brugmansia and Julia child

Fun in the sun rose

Rose Paradise

Mislabeled ’Tiffany’

Happy fall gardening!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • rosaprimula
    last year

I like Kordes roses, forever, - generally healthy and prolific. I have not bought any for years but I may reward myself with a coupla smallish roses instead of the enormo-roses I an currently struggling with, once I have made some space and dealt with the chaos of rose prunings. I had Pomponella a few years ago and would like to get it again...and definitely need more yellow wildlings since I lost my namesake rose (rosa primula) and r.cantabridgiensis when I had to deal with rampant acanthus.

Salvias are still my main source of late summer/autumn colour, often lasting until Xmas. As bad as roses for getting into a collecting mania.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Rosaprimula -

Today there are about 6 of the buds open on Beverly and reminding me how gorgeous the shape and size of the blooms are. I left them open on the shrub rather than bring them in because they are in the front of the house and we have a lot of walkers in our neighborhood and it's been warm enough to leave them. I'm going to be sad when they are gone...lol.

That is an amazing patch of Pineapple sage! You must have a lot of hummers. Brugs are great, they're fragrant, right? It's been awhile but I grew them once, They are annual here. I think I was concerned that they are toxic to pets and we have a little dog that is always putting everything in her mouth. [g] They are very beautiful! That 'Rose Paradise' is very pretty too!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Rosapeimula: I only have 2 kordes rose 🌹now: Beverly and summer romance. Bith I got a couple weeks ago at fall sale so I will see. hofelly the will live up to the expectation, healthy, blooming well and well behaving :) primula is a pretty name, the rose has a beautiful color, and it is said both the flowers and leaves are fragrant!

Prairiemoon: the pineapple sage is indeed sage. I had to move from the flower side bed to a new one far from the house. It is welcome to take all the space there if it could! Unfortunately no hummingbird. I think they are all gone, bit bees come to it. I thoguht bees are not attracted to red but obviously I wa wrong.

Yes the brugs are toxic. I used to grow a lot of them before. When we had our dog, I digged them all. Now with the dog passed I started to grow the brug again. It is really quicknfix in a garden

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

FANewbie - Thank you, for realizing I was talking to you about your plants too...[g] Sorry about that. I was going too fast. Your sages are so pretty even without hummers. You must have good conditions for them, they look very happy.

The Brugs are amazing plants, glad you get to enjoy them.

• rosaprimula
    last year

No hummingbirds here - the nearest we get is the hummingbird hawkmoth. Shame, as I grow a lot of hummingbird type plants - currently s,regla looking flush but nothing like as lush as your pineapple sage, forever.

I also had brugs years ago but got given a rather nice variegated one this year -already tucked in the greenhouse though.

I do have a few iochromas in various colours - much tougher and hardier than I originally imagined - they grow into huge shrubs and overwinter with no problem.