SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilikefriday

What do you think of baseboards that are not white?

ilikefriday
last year
last modified: last year

I am playing around with the idea of painting my baseboards black. What do you think of that look? I feel like it might have been a trend that is no longer around but I still like the look. I might also consider adding a piece of black molding above the baseboards so they have the appearance of being taller. What are your thoughts about baseboards that are not white?

I do have black baseboards around my staircase and upstairs. Downstairs they are all white.

Comments (45)

• bpath
    last year

Baseboards usually match the door trim, don’t they? My family home has dark wood trim including the baseboards. But, in the master suite where the woodwork is white, so are the baseboards. And in my old bedroom, also with white trim, well, I’ll have to look next time I’m there but I’m pretty sure the baseboards match the trim.

ilikefriday thanked bpath
  • bbstx
    last year

To be honest (and you know something negative is coming when a sentence starts like that), I don’t like the look. I think it looks like the room has been outlined with a marker. I also think it is kind of farmhouse-y, which is passe unless you live in a farm house.

ilikefriday thanked bbstx
  • Related Discussions

My white Brug. What do you think? (pics)

Q

Comments (2)
    Nice looking plant. I agree they are very addicting. You could try switching your fertilizer to a bloom booster (higher middle number in the N-P-K) ratio. Just use a tablespoon to a gal of water. Make sure your plant is watered good with reg water first. Then apply. Do not cut it back any on the growth tips because thats where its gonna Y and make flowers. Hopefully you will get blooms this year. ~SJN
    ...See More

White ceiling, what do you think

Q

Comments (7)
    "Ceiling White" is a weird color. That's a rather conclusive statement to make considering all the brands and grades there are of ceiling white paint  I know. Color on the ceiling will always be 1) grayer than most people anticipate and 2) darker than most people anticipate. The standard ceiling white has a strange, arctic, gray and cold edge to it in just about any kind of inherent lighting situation. In a short it has a wonky nuance that is exasperated when applied to the horizontal plane above your head. .... and we all know that partnering the right pitch of nuance with inherent light is where and how magic happens with paint colors. :~D With ceiling white you don't stand a chance. Its nuance isn't good for any three-dimensional space, in any of the four hemispheres, anywhere on planet earth. My mom has never painted a ceiling anything but ceiling white. She doesn't think it's a bad color, sees absolutely nothing wrong with it and will continue to believe that ceiling white *goes* on the ceiling because that's what the damn can says. ((sigh))
    ...See More

Changed Shutters to White - What Do You Think

Q

Comments (41)
    I wound up painting the shutters black, the door yellow and the sidelights white. Not sure if it's exactly the right yellow, but I'm so much happier with it now, that I'm not going to do anything more to it. I did replace the lights, but I don't think they're big enough. When I get the courage to tell DH that I don't think they work(LOL!!), I'll figure out something else. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them.
    ...See More

What do you think of these whites? Pics

Q

Comments (2)
    I compared the two chips I have of WH White and Dover White and they are very similar. Dover White is just the teensiest bit more yellow. I honestly think either one would be fine. Nice shades, IMO.
    ...See More
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@bpath - I have no idea if they usually match the door trim. My door trim is currently white, so it all matches. That being said, I was planning of painting the door trim, and possibly the doors, too.

@bbstx - LOL. Yes, honesty typically follows. I like honesty. I am not looking for make-you-feel-good answers. I kind of like the outline look but farmhouse-y is not my goal. I think my favorite color is black and I was thinking that tall black baseboards might make an impact. My living room area is the only room in my house that has no black and I was thinking baseboards throughout the house might tie everything together. I should say my living room does not have much black. Also, I have a black wall in my dining room with white baseboards. Whenever I look at photos of it, I think I need to do something about that.

• bbstx
    last year

@ilikefriday, have you tried the Sherwin Williams online color visualizer? I think you could take a picture of your room and ”paint” the trim black. Perhaps that would help you get a feel for it. I almost dove off into the black door trend. A friend did. She told me not to paint the doors black but rather a very very dark charcoal. She described it as the color of the lid on a men’s Johnston and Murphy shoe box. How’s that for specific!!! 😂

If you need black in your LR, have you thought of pillows and/or lampshades?

ilikefriday thanked bbstx
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@bbstx - Usually I photoshop EVERYTHING before I make a move but I was thinking I might just go for it this time. I like the look of pillows on sofas in everyone else's home, just not my own. I know that sounds nuts. Also, this would be for downstairs and the molding on my staircase is black so that would be a better continuation than charcoal. But, I do love charcoal too.

I have black doors in my bedroom and love them. I have blue doors at the top of my stairs and I love that look also.

• nicole___
    last year

Baseboard DOES match the door trim. Windows can have a different trim, since the window trim doesn't intersect the baseboards like doorways do.

ilikefriday thanked nicole___
  • eld6161
    last year

Can we see your photos of your home? It might work in your case scenario.

ilikefriday thanked eld6161
  • lisaam
    last year

likefridaylike Friday, you tend to have a good eye and i interesting posessions. black baseboards wouldn’t work in a typical home, but that isn’t yours. It will lend a very graphic affect.

ilikefriday thanked lisaam
  • Jilly
    last year

I think in your house, yes. They’d fit the aesthetic well.

You know I love everything you do!

ilikefriday thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

On thing about it, I think the baseboards have to be perfect in every way; like using lacquer, every imperfection will show.

ilikefriday thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • mojomom
    last year

I have very dark (reads black) stained doors, trim and baseboards and have been happy with them. i really don’t think my house has a farmhouse vibe at all.

ilikefriday thanked mojomom
  • 3katz4me
    last year

I prefer baseboards that match the rest of the trim. Not being a big fan of white, I love yours @mojomom.

ilikefriday thanked 3katz4me
  • Funkyart
    last year

I think we tend to picture our own homes when asked a question like this .., or homes in other typical styles. Your home is not at all typical.. so like Eld, I think it would help to share photos of your home. I remember your LR and kitchen but don't have the whole picture.

I LOVE black window trim.. and Mojo, I really love the look in your home.

ilikefriday thanked Funkyart
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@nicole___

I would paint the door trim the same color as the baseboards.

@lisaam and @Jilly

Thanks. I think I might go for it and see how it turns out. If I don't like it I can always make a change. What about the fireplace? Would you paint that black too? What about the front door?

@mtnrdredux_gw

Well.... Mine are not perfect but neither is any other part of my house so in that way they might blend in. LOL

@mojomom

I love, love, love that. I especially love the black framed artwork leading from the black baseboards. I think it looks so chic!

@jakabedy

That first room would be my dream. I love it! The ceiling painted the same color is what makes it for me. I love everything about that space.

@eld6161

Here are some photos of my space. All of my walls need to be painted. I would repaint them the current color or something similar except for the black wall in the kitchen.

• Feathers11
    last year

I think the look can be crisp and classic. Having something further black in the room, such as framed art or black accents, helps pull it together. Mojomom's rooms demonstrate that.

I like this below:

ilikefriday thanked Feathers11
  • Jilly
    last year

Yes, I’d try painting the fireplace, too.

Ahhh, love seeing your wonderful art!

ilikefriday thanked Jilly
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@Feathers11

I love that too! I have been debating what to do about my front door if I go with the black baseboards.

• Feathers11
    last year

I missed your recent photos above when I posted, Ilikefriday. Your style is fabulous! I second Jinx's recommendation to paint the fireplace.

ilikefriday thanked Feathers11
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@Feathers11

Thank you! I will paint it and see how it goes. I am sort of thinking about doing a diy project to change the shape of the fireplace and then paint the whole thing.

@Jilly

Any time I need a boost of confidence I look for your comments ;-)

@Funkyart

I just added some photos.

• lisaam
    last year

I don’t remember having seen your fab stair runner before—- very cool. looking forward to seeing your progress.

ilikefriday thanked lisaam
  • palimpsest
    last year

My baseboards match the wallcolor.

My short recessed baseboards on the first floor match the floor.

ilikefriday thanked palimpsest
  • terezosa / terriks
    last year

Do an image search for black baseboards - there are a lot of examples.

Black baseboards

ilikefriday thanked terezosa / terriks
  • arcy_gw
    last year

Yes the usual trim out of a home has baseboards/windows/doors all matching. All mill work is the same wood, same stain or paint color. It's when people start individualizing rooms that this changes. Black trim is the fad of this decade. If you like it--go for it.

ilikefriday thanked arcy_gw
  • Tina Marie
    last year

There are so many options vs. white or stained. I do like the look of the black and I think it would work in your home. HOWEVER, for me, one word I think of when thinking of black trim - DUST.

I would paint the inside of the front door the same color you do your trim, or even a coordinating color. IE, I've been thinking of painting our fireplace (wood part). If so, we'll do the inside of the front door the same color.

ilikefriday thanked Tina Marie
  • nini804
    last year

I would be careful. It is VERY graphic when you have a high contrast between the wall color and trim. In most cases, it can work fine if you like it (I don’t personally, but I’m not living in your house, lol,) but in your case, you have an amazing collection of art and gorgeous furnishings in your lr. I would be really afraid it would detract from that. Galleries keep the backround very plain to keep the focus on the art.

ilikefriday thanked nini804
  • nicole___
    last year

Your able to take risks and feel comfortable, so this may be a good fit. I've never painted a wall black....so that kind of being "all-in" doesn't work for me.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks @nini804. Black would change the focus a bit. The biggest change IMO would be the fireplace area because it would be the largest concentration of black. I am sure I would love it up to the fireplace. If I can figure out how to alter the shape of the fireplace a bit, I will be sold.

@nicole___

I think you are correct. I am a risk taker when it comes to decor but I don't view paint as much of a risk because it is very easily changed. It is almost zero commitment IMO.

________

A few minutes ago, I did paint a piece of tall baseboard that I am using for another project and leaned it against a narrow wall in my dining room. I would have to reposition the art on that wall if I go with a taller baseboard because otherwise the bottom piece of art, which I photoshopped a black square to represent, would overlap and that's not a good look. It gives an idea of how the space would look in black.

• Oakley
    last year

Before you make a decision, google something like rooms with black baseboards that don't match the rest of the wood, or something a bit more literate. lol Click on images at the top of the page.

I definitely wouldn't paint the dining room baseboards black because it will feel like living in cave which is nice at first then gets old. Look closely at the dining room picture and see how the white baseboards adds light to the room.

ilikefriday thanked Oakley
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@Oakley

You made me chuckle. I already have a black wall in my dining room along with black curtains and black cabinets in the kitchen leading to the dining room. I even covered a window in the kitchen with a mirror. I can't imagine baseboards would be the one thing that tips it over the edge. I have already fallen off the cliff! I love dark colors! I accept the fact that it isn't most people's cup of tea.

• palimpsest
    last year

I had a nearly-black stairwell/upper hall in my last place and I asked the realtor if I should change it and she said no. Two owners later and it's still black so it must be working.

ilikefriday thanked palimpsest
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@palimpsest

I am really happy to hear that. I am not planning on moving any time soon but every time I get the faint notion, I think I will have to change every single thing in my house. I have a mental block when it comes to neutrals.

You give me hope!

• Allison0704
    last year

I like black trim and doors. Go with your gut, and post photos when you're done.

In our last house, in the marjority of the rooms, doors, trim, walls, windows and ceiling were all painted the same color. The only room that was not done this way had beams, but the kitchen cabinets, hood and walls were the same color. Both an English look.

ilikefriday thanked Allison0704
  • ilikefriday thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • nicole___
    last year

I'm hoping Lars chimes in. His background in art, design flow and composition may be helpful. I also love black....and love what you've shown of your decor. It's stunning!

The piece of "test" baseboard you tried out, unifies the space. I once painted an upper stairwell a dark carmel & everyone was trying to talk me out of it. 😂 Please post after pics.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@nicole___

Thank you!

I have large doses of black in every room of my home. The living room is the only space that is lacking. I have repositioned that black baseboard to a few different spots. I think I am going to love it. It will take me a little time to get it done as this will be a DIY project. I will post photos. I am sure I will post soon about fireplace ideas also.

You painted a staircase wall dark caramel? I'm sure it was fabulous! I love unexpected decor.

• Oakley
    last year

In my defense I was referring to the first DR picture you showed with the black wall which I love. I like how the white baseboard showcases the black. Not sure how you assumed I didn't like dark colors because if you saw my house you'd know I very much like dark colors.

The sofa we recently got rid of that you can't see in this picture was dark maroon. I was into jewel colors which I still like.

Our front door is solid dark mahogany wood & the floors are dark hickory engineered wood flooring with a thick top layer of wood. Here's a few pictures to give you an idea.

FTR, I'm ready for lighter colors which I'm slowly working on. This room has great windows for light except the plantation shutters (white) and large Oak trees on the other side keeps it on the dark side.

To the left of the fireplace is a large black TV table.

The wall color is not that ugly in person & I've lightened up the entryway with a rug and pastel yellow table and the mirror is painted white.

During the remodel...the tiles are crimson and cream, GO SOONERS! Eventually which means never, I want to continue the buttery yellow into the red room.

So there! I do like dark interiors, especially on rainy days.

I envy your art. Biggest mistake I made was not concentrating on art when I was young.

ilikefriday thanked Oakley
  • Lars
    last year

Here are some different ways of using contrasting colors.

In one Victorian flat where I lived in San Francisco, we painted the walls in the living room a dark forest green and had the baseboards, trim, and ceiling white. We had a small crown molding between the walls and the cove ceiling, and we painted that a metallic gold. We used 1940s gray and green upholstery fabric (slipcovers) for the furniture, and limited what we put in that room.

Here are some examples of other color combinations.

Combinations of black and white for exteriors are on trend in Los Angeles at the moment. Here's a house on my street a couple of blocks from me that sold in 2020. I very much like the use of minimalism in the interior - for me it has a calming effect.

ilikefriday thanked Lars
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@Oakley

It is great that you posted those photos. I love seeing how others arrange things. Your dog looks very comfy lounging by the fireplace! One of the reasons I dislike the white baseboards on that black wall is there is a mural on that wall and the white distracts from the mural. Also, I just think black is a bit edgier than white. Decor evolves over time. I think I recall you mentioning your maroon sofa in a previous post.

@Lars

In that real estate listing, I love how they use black on the inside edge of the door frame instead of the face of the walls. If my doorways were constructed in that way, I would do the exact same thing. The kitchen island countertop reminds me of the top of a gift box. It is beautiful with its rough slanted edge. My house and my lifestyle are the exact opposite of minimalism. I love the look but in my mind, it would be hard for me to maintain. I am left to swoon over minimalist decor on the internet.

• User
    last year

I love the inspiration pics shared here with the black trim and think it would be fabulous in your home! Your artwork and indeed entire vibe is so wonderfully unique and creative. Go for it.

ilikefriday thanked User
  • Tina Marie
    last year

@Lars thanks for sharing those pix Lars. Some of those I follow on Instagram. Good examples and I saw some colors which has me thinking about our trim color!

@ilikefriday your sample piece of black trim looks great! Now try a whole room. Can't wait to see what you do.

ilikefriday thanked Tina Marie
  • daisychain Zn3b
    last year

Not sure if this is hilarious or pitiful, but I started to type an answer about how I wasn't sure I'd like it, but that I've thought that before about one of your decorating ideas and then been stunned by how well it works when you post the finished project. But THEN I remembered that we actually have black baseboards! Sheesh. However, ours is only in a small hallway and all the trim (including doors) in that area is black.

ilikefriday thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@daisychain Zn3b

I am not at all surprised that anyone would doubt one of my projects but I am curious to know which one you are referring to. I know my decor preferences don't usually align with the masses. Add to that my tendency to DIY nearly everything and most people are shaking their heads before the project ever begins. LOL

It is funny how you hear about a project and then realize you have the same setup. That happened to me on this post. It didn't occur to me until after I posted that I already have black baseboards upstairs and on my staircase. I think sometimes I look at something day after day and then the routine of it all makes me forget it's there.

• daisychain Zn3b
    last year

I think it was your black kitchen shelving, but I admire so much about your home, it could have been another project, too. Anyhoo, I really like your mock up. I think, in your space, it does similar to the pics annie deighnough posted - the black acts like a frame. In a good way.

ilikefriday thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • lyfia
    last year

Go for it! I think it would look great if like you said you'll add a trim piece to the baseboards. Otherwise if you don't do that then I think it will look just like an outline and not a frame like a taller one would. Since you don't have window trim except for the drywall it shouldn't be an issue to just do baseboards and door trim.

ilikefriday thanked lyfia