SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Thoughts on this start to a shade garden

I'm working on a garden that's in the front of my house, beneath a bay window and a tulip magnolia (so prominent in every direction). The tree was here when I bought the place.

I have a pathway circling the tree to another garden in the side yard. I DID have several hostas following the path, but they were getting too much sun and burned long before they looked good.

I recently had to transplant a large hosta from another area that used to be part shade and is now full sun (a tree fell and crushed it), so I thought I'd use that as a starting point and then surround it with other varieties of hosta. I've seen pics of other gardens like that and they're gorgeous, but mine... I dunno.

This area is part shade. It gets a little morning sun, and then dappled sun through the tulip tree. I have an impact sprinkler just to the right of the pic, so water isn't really an issue.

I honestly don't know what kind of hostas I have. The big one in the center is a blue variety, maybe a blue halcyon? You can't really see now that it's crushed, but it had thick, tough feeling leaves with a blue tint.

Surrounding it I have two variegated hostas, two hostas that have cup-shaped leaves, astilbe, coral bells, and a single primrose (all relocated from other areas). I also have a single impatiens that just showed up one year and keeps coming back! LOL

Thoughts?

I know they'll all die back pretty soon, so I'm hoping everything will fill out next year and look better. If you agree, would you recommend planting something else in the vicinity to break up the texture?

Comments (30)