SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
landon_lane42

3 way wiring question, help please!

Landon Lane
last year

Hi all, I'm stuck and would really appreciate some help. I am not an electrician and I'm sure everyone reading this who is an electrician will think I'm a moron. Anyways, here's the situation. I decided to add some island lights where none existed previously. I installed fixtures, then installed a switch on each side of the kitchen. Previously I had a 1 switch box and a 2 switch box on either side. So now I have a box with 2 switches and another box with 3 switches (not sure if knowing that matters).

I then ran wire from one switch, to 1 first light, then the second, then the third, then to the second switch. As you can see from my illustrations, I have power coming into each of the boxes, and I wired them as shown in the diagram, but I'll explain it more here:

From each power source, i connected the black wire to the switch, then I connected the white wire to the white wire coming from the light fixtures. I have the red wire going directly from one switch to the other switch.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM (as you probably know, but i can't figure out how to fix it): The lights turn on when I turn the switch on, and they turn off, if i use the same switch to turn them off. BUT, if I use the other switch to try to turn them off, it doesn't work.

Either switch will turn the lights on, but that same switch has to be used to turn the lights off.

I would really appreciate any and all help to get this fixed. Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)