SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munger1

Feasibility of a Molteni for a home kitchen

munger1
last year

I've read Garden Web/Houzz posts about Molteni being discussed, and looking at ranges/cookers from the likes of Charvet, Molteni and other French/Italian brands. Specifically the 145cm wide size. Prohibitively expensive, problematic in countless ways, and basically infeasible. I'm not talking about Lacanche, La Cornue Chateau or Officine Gullo Pro ranges - which are actually designed for home kitchens. I'm only referring to the commercial cookers that once in a great while get shoehorned into a very wealthy home.

For example, if a pre-owned Molteni was gifted to you for free - you would still need to spend a huge amount of money for shipping/delivery, inspection of the range, cleaning/prepping all the connections, testing/maintenance, etc. Also proper preparation of the space (electrical, gas plumbing, ventilation, hood, etc) reworking countertops, cabinets, and countless other things.

But, once all that was completed and paid for, and it was working properly.... what are the major downside issues with having a professional/commercial cooker in your kitchen? Is there a problem with the amount of heat it gives off? Will the home's air conditioning system be constantly battling the cooker's heat? Will the 24/7 pilot light cause a higher than usual gas bill? Besides the fact that it will be next to impossible to find reliable and qualified service technicians when the cooker needs repair or maintenance.... what are the day to day negatives of owning this commercial cooker in a residential kitchen?

Comments (9)