SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smilesesq

How feasible is it to re-use windows/doors/appliances?

smiles33
5 years ago

We are doing a major house renovation (e.g., swapping kitchen and family room locations, bumping out the walls, adding a new laundry room, pantry, bedroom, and 1/2 bath, and renovating an existing bathroom and furnace room). The plan is to age in place as we love our location and the large lot.

I tried asking my contractor about saving the kitchen cabinets when we first met. He said it may be possible if they carefully remove the items, but then you're constrained to the same layout. So I abandoned the idea of saving them. But since then, we started talking about building a separate cottage/ in-law unit for elderly parents. I think a small kitchen is fine for elderly parents (or a live-in caretaker years when we need help). So now I'm wondering if we can try to salvage as much as we can from this current house before demolition.

The prior homeowner just did a minor kitchen renovation 3 years ago, so there are fairly new appliances and new cabinets. However, he did not try to improve the flow in the kitchen so we're still tearing it out. He also replaced windows and doors about 10 years ago, so those and other items are still in good condition. Is it feasible to save appliances, windows, doors, and maybe even the kitchen sink for the eventual small 1 bedroom cottage we plan to build? Do we have to worry about gov't requirements for energy efficiency? I know my contractor said we may not be able to keep the same toilet if it's not one of those water-saving models. Are there other concerns?

Comments (10)