SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
wsea

Tv display in LR

wsea
2 months ago

Hi all, i feel a bit silly with this question as i feel it should be strait forward but i want to make sure i’m considering everything. short story is that we need to relocate our TV from the spare bedroom to the living room for at least a couple of years. we both hate having a TV in the public spaces and since our house is tiny if we moved the console out we would lose 2 seats in the LR. our solution was to purchase a Frame Tv. the wall in the images is where it will be hung. the blue tape is the size of the TV. we will hang additional artwork ( specific art TBD) around it and leave it in art mode most if the time. is it too low? im trying to get optimal tv viewing while still looking like art most of the time. TIA

above is view standing behind the couch. below is view standing in kitchen.

Comments (33)

• Lynzy
    2 months ago

Would you mind posting a pick showing the kitchen side? Stand at your window and take a pic. We might be able to help with a different furniture arrangement that could allow you the console.

wsea thanked Lynzy
  • wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Sure , im happy to share but id be very surprised if there was another spot😀! but i’m game to try. this is taken from the front door. im standing as far back in the corner as possible.

this is from the chair closet to the larger picture window.

• Related Discussions

Plasma professional display instead of plasma TV

Q

Comments (1)
    Just make sure it's UL listed for home use (i.e. - doesn't require any special electrical considerations) and you should be fine.
    ...See More

LR layout and tv stand--need help!

Q

Comments (6)
    Actually, those shelves (and other LR furniture) came from Laz-e-boy about 18 months ago. They no longer carry the tv stands that complement the coffee/side tables, so we're stumped. Love the Ikea tv stand (cheap!) but it seems a bit "blocky". Also, what to do on the wall above it? And general layout--is it too much stuff for one space? And we haven't even started on wall stuff, pictures & mirrors, etc.
    ...See More

LR - TV and Fireplace placement

Q

Comments (6)
    Will you actually use the fireplace? How much use will the t.v. get? Is it for occasional viewing or nightly viewing?How much use will the t.v. get? Is it for occasional viewing or nightly viewing? Which direction are those windows facing? This arrangement is not good if you will actually use the fireplace, with one of the couches with it's back to the fire and neither near it. If you go with this t.v./fireplace arrangement I'd consider placing your sofas in an L so both can view both the t.v. and the fireplace. With windows on three sides this seems like a problematic room for t.v. viewing, as I'd assume you'll get a lot of glare. Perhaps you could put the t.v. opposite the fireplace, and arrange the furniture so that there are two seating areas? Also, make sure you're mocking it up with furniture to scale so you can see what will work.
    ...See More

Need help with sectional and TV placement in LR

Q

Comments (2)
    @Lil S Sorry I was having trouble uploading the photos but I just added more.
    ...See More
  • kandrewspa
    2 months ago

If the chairs are going to stay there, then it should be higher than the backs of the chairs. It looks like you have it just a little bit higher than them. I would move it up just another inch or two. You're right, you don't want it too high. But good advice from @Lynzy - maybe there is another way to arrange the furniture. Is there enough room to move the sofa away from the window about three feet and put the chairs under the window?

• wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

If we put the couch under the window and the chair oposite the wall it only leaves 2’ of walkway between the chair and island.

• Lynzy
    2 months ago

Thanks for the additional pics. Cute space! Here’s a thought, and I may get roasted by some of the pros who may weigh in, but…how open are you to different soda type? Specifically, I think a small scale sectional could work well in your space, positioned under the window with the other angle of it where your current sofa is now. There are “apartment size” sectionals from several makers. You could then move your console in and place the tv and artwork above it. Don’t place too high. You might have room to use one of your current chairs at an angle on the dining room end of the console, moving the extra chair to your guest room perhaps. Unless you really love your sofa, this could be a solution that uses your console and preserves some seating with a sleeker look.

• er612
    2 months ago

Height is perfect.

• marilyncb
    2 months ago

You have a really nice space and I think your idea of hanging a Frame TV makes perfect sense. Moving the chairs and putting TV over console would make it the focal point, which is what you’re trying to avoid. The height of the tape looks good to me, but it’s a bit hard to tell from photos. I would cut a TV sized piece of cardboard or poster board to hang on the wall and see how it looks when sitting on the sofa.

wsea thanked marilyncb
  • chispa
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

It will look great. Agree on getting some cardboard cut in the TV size and hang it up, move it around and come up with the best spot.

Make sure you get one of the newer models with the matte glass. I think those came out in 2021. I saw a standard glass version next to a matte glass version in a showroom and the matte glass makes a huge difference for glare and making the art look more realistic.

wsea thanked chispa
  • wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

thanks Lynzy, part of what we are trying to do is keep the furniture we spent so long collecting so we have it when we are able to move the tv back to its original spot. there truly is no other place for the furniture. with this set up all we would need to get rid of is the couch ( which is old and was next up for updating anyways) in the current TV room. there will be room for our console to stay in its current spot. we do like our current LR sofa and truly dislike sectionals, especially in our main LR where we host guests.

• wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks er612. the blue tape is currently 36” from the floor. the current art work is 42” . im guessing its probably not too high but im used to it being a bit lower.

• er612
    2 months ago

I aligned the TV with the blue tape and then just moved it to the left. It will definitely work at the propsed height (1st pic) but if it's alone on the wall, I'd probably move it up (2nd pic).

wsea thanked er612
  • ffpalms
    2 months ago

Here’s a nice visual for proper height and distance for optimal viewing.

Helpful Info · More Info

wsea thanked ffpalms
  • wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

er612, would you be able to impose some images around the screen in your first mock up?

• wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@marilyncb thankks for the carboard idea and the compliments.

@Chispa we definately have the 2022 version coming. its was one of the things that sold us on this idea.

• er612
    2 months ago

I'm not great at gallery walls but here are a couple attempts...

wsea thanked er612
  • wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@er612 thanks for the mock ups. i know im probably asking to much but can you lower the tv and art to the blue tape line? im looking for carboard to try and physically mock up as well but no luck so far

• er612
    2 months ago

• SeattleMCM
    2 months ago

A frame TV is a good idea. Honestly, keep your extra chairs laid out like in the mockup er612 posted above. If there are a lot of people in there watching a movie together, those chairs are so light you quickly could pull them off to the right, and back again when you're done.

That's how our living room is set up. It's constantly being rearranged depending on how we're using it at the moment, and the chairs are so light it's no big deal. (Note: it's just the two of us most of the time, we only need to move the chairs when we have guests watching a movie with us, which is not often.)

• wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks again for everyones help. i think we have settled on this orientation. ( ignore the blue tape on the bottom, thats a couple of inches lower than we are going to do.)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 months ago

The TV manufacturer may have specs on the best positioning of the TV for optimal viewing. Is it possible that the coffee table could be put in storage for the short run use of TV here? That way you'd have some room for the two chairs on the window side of the space. Pick up a couple of "C" tables if you like to snack or use your devices while enjoying TV. You might also be able to use the sofa table and lamps under the TV and pull the sofa back a bit to allow room for the two chairs on the left.

wsea thanked decoenthusiaste
  • pkpk23
    2 months ago

Height looks good as does your current furniture placement.

wsea thanked pkpk23
  • wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

This house is small, 1100 sq ft ( was 870 until we added a primary BR 13 years ago) i truly dont have any storage space, no basement , not even a garage or any other space that would possibly be suitable for furniture, plus we like to sit in the LR and drink our morning coffee with our feet up on the ottoman. the space behind the couch is our front door and there is only 52” there with our closet so we need the space there.

the chairs are deep and putting them on the window side would push the couch almost up to the island.

i think im happy with the placement. Ignore the towels thrown there as i was taking photos😀 . i threw up some representative art on the wall ( not saying this is what it would be as i did not make the cut outs to the sizes of our art.) i think i can make this work, we have tons of art to play with so im sure i can get a pleasing arrangement with the tv at this height/location.

• Gabrielle B
    2 months ago

I think it’ll be great!

• Gabrielle B
    2 months ago

I hit enter too quickly and cannot edit… what size tv is this that you’re mocking up?

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

Since you will be hanging so many pieces, I thought you might be interested in this tool.

Helpful Info · More Info

• wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Gabrielle B its a 50”

@ffpalms thanks, looks easier

• everdebz
    2 months ago

Checking whether you'd even prefer squeezing the tv in on the adjoining wall...basically the corner.

• wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ok the tv was just hung. next step is to set up the tv and hang other artwork around it.

• wsea
    Original Author
    2 months ago

And with a photo loaded

• ffpalms
    last month

What a success! Really lovely art to contemplate. Thanks for posting the final design.

• Mary
    last month

It looks great!

• SeattleMCM
    last month

That looks great! You can hide the cord with a channel painted to match your wall color. (because you have only one cord, you could use one thinner than this.)

Or you could feed the cord through the wall if you're comfortable cutting holes. Instructions here.