SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srihariabc

A third of my arborvitae trees died

Sri
last year

I had planted around 50 of Thuja Emerald Green Arborvitae (Smaragd) them in the following pattern. I planted them last August 2021. They were all nice and green up until June of 2022.

First one tree died, then 2 , then 3, then 5, finally 15 of them are dead in less than 4 months.

(N)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

| (E) (W) |

| |

Ones in the E and W are doing okay. Half of ones in N dried out completely or they are yellow, about to turn brown.

I installed drip irrigation at the roots of these trees and have been watering them regularly about once a day. The soil type is clay in my area (pacific north west, seattle, wa)

I have attached the root portion of the dead trees. I sprayed insecticide / fungicide combo. I added slow release fertilizer. Nothing seems to recover or slow them down from dying.

Can someone call out what is happening and how can I prevent in the future as I am going to replace the dead ones by 15 new trees.

How I can treat / prepare the soil for the new trees and a recommended procedure for planting, so that I don't end up in same situation again.

started with becoming yellow at first

Root of a dead tree

Root ball

why do i see the tips have some sort of a dried flower ?

The pit

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus