SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snappity

Refrigerator space or counter space

snappity
last year

I am embarking on a kitchen renovation and going around in circles as I consider what to do with a refrigerator. Currently we can only fit a 30" refrigerator, and I know we definitely want one that is bigger and has more storage, particularly refrigerator storage as we have an upright freezer in the basement that we use well. I love the idea of the flex zones/4 door fridges because of our existing freezer, but they don't seem to come in 33" SD models.

The dilemma - it is currently in a corner/ at the end of our one-wall style kitchen. The perpendicular wall is 5 feet long. If I can place a fridge on the perpendicular wall, CD makes the most sense, but I don't think we can fit a 36" width. If we leave it on the wall that it is, we lose 6" of counter space with a 36" model and CD/SD doesn't make as much difference.

The current one-wall length is 13', and I have my builder coming to see about taking down a partition wall that could extend it to 17' and create an eat-in kitchen. House is 1954, very small dining area separate from our small kitchen, the whole space would be 11x24 if we can take out the partition wall (but there's 4 doors and a chimney to work around, not quite a fully blank canvas! (another option is to put a fridge on the other side of the partition if the wall can't come down, but that puts it in the dining area and would be visually odd and heavy, I think.)

SO, the tl;dr is:

• is a smaller fridge + corner cabinet > bigger fridge and loss of 6"
  • 36" CD > 33" SD (it seems most 33" don't come with the features that a 36 has that I like, like the flex zones)
  • find a way to fit a 36" SD, I won't regret it

(Family of 4, cooks regularly, definitely feels the pinch of the 30" SD fridge we have now.)

Thanks!

Comments (19)