SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

Our healthy diet culture is lethal. Eating disorders up 40%

roarah
last year
last modified: last year

I posted this on another thread but I think I am ready to post it here.

I have written this post out many times but chickened out of posting it. I have spent the last 12 weeks trying to refeed my anorexic teen 3000 plus calories per day. In January she and her friends, unbeknownst to me, started a “clean” diet and extreme exercise regiment. Within three months she droped from 110 to 94 pounds. Her heart rate was 41 beats per minute and her body temp was 93 degrees. She is diagnosed as having a unofficial form of anorexia called orthorexia and even when I brought her to her pediatrician in Febuary with my concerns I was told her then 55 bpm heart rate and 100lb frame was because she is a healthy athlete.

I was setting a very unhealthy example for her after my stroke by only eating low fat and low carb foods between 8 am and 7 pm and never missing my daily exercise. I had anorexia until my thirties and even after weight restoration never accepted my body and still suffer from dysmorphia. I so wish I had embraced my body and taught her self love and body confidence and taught by example that diets and restrictions not only do not work( chronic dieting results in slower metabolism) they can often be deadly. 20 percent of anorexics die, half from physical ailments and the other half from suicide. Being heavier is far less dangerous both immediately and long term than being anorexic.

To learn more about how restriction diets of even 1500 calories per day can effect your physical and mental well being please research the Minnesota Starvation Study.

I now model good behavior and eat every meal I force my daughter to eat. With the help of a dietitian we eat three 800 calorie meals and three 300 calorie snacks per day. I focus on density vs volume so she does not get further triggered by the amounts so I hide olive oil, cream and butter in everything. She is within 95 percent weight restoration but still exhibits eating disordered behaviors and is on a high suicide watch. Starvation causes suicidal ideation and even though she is no longer starving her mind will take up to a year to heal.

Although I have begun to eat six times per day and almost twice as much as I was before I actually have not gained at all and for the first time I remember my body is actually recognizing hunger and satiated clues. I no longer binge because i am honoring my body’s mhunger rather than denying it. Our bodies have a set point weight I believe and when we manipulate that number we cause great harm.

Our pro ”healthy” diet culture is so f’ed up we do not even realize how it is actually creating a self sustaining unhealthy life style which sets us up to not only fail but possibly can kill us. Please think twice about losing more than 5 pounds per month!

The past three months have been the most challaging time of my life. Far harder than my months of stroke rehabilitation or my husband’s rectal cancer diagnosis and treatments. And sadly we are only in the opening stretch.

link to an article on the starvation experiment.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/10/hunger

Over 20 percent of dieters become obsessive. Most eating disorders start from dieting not preexisting mental illnesses https://sph.umich.edu/pursuit/2020posts/the-problem-with-dieting-eating-disorders-affecting-american-college-students.html#:~:text=The%20National%20Eating%20Disorders%20Association,diets%20turn%20into%20eating%20disorders.

Falsehoods perpetuated by our anti obesity campaign https://students4sc.org/2020/06/02/anti-obesity-campaigns-do-more-harm-than-good/

Comments (99)