SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

Need landscape planting ideas for shallow soil in full sun

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

We are in zone 5 and enjoyed our first summer at this recently purchased property. Looking for ideas for a ca 2.5 ft wide very dry stretch along a patio wall with very little growth during the summer except crab grass. We discovered some landscape fabric underneath the dying grass and removed it. It was the wrong time for seeding grass, so crab grass took over. Now we want to do something about this. Either seeding grass, which might give it a clean uniform look. Or else I could visualize some perennial flowers such as a variety of echinacea, painted daisies, bee balm, maybe also some annuals such as zinnia, etc.

However here are some limitations: the present soil under the mostly crab grass is only 2-3 inches deep, underneath it is limestone to support the patio wall.

My husband thinks nothing but grass or some ground covers which I am not keen on can successfully grow there unless we install a raised garden bed. I prefer to do without it.

Are there flowers that have very shallow roots and still grow tall? The patio wall is 34" high, and I would like flowers that are taller than that so we can see some of the flowers when looking out from inside the house, or sitting on the patio.

The strip straight along the wall is ca 2.5 ft wide and 16 ft long, and on each side of it there are two more 5 ft long sections going off on an angle (see area in blue). We can make the strip wider where the soil is not shallow.

Please also read my comment below the pics...I answered someone instead of editing here and don't think people are reading that.

We are mainly interested in flowers, flowering bushes, and perhaps decorative grasses. There are already over 120 large and small trees and hedges and green shrubs on this property, too much green, not enough color for my taste.

Comments (22)