SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eschmeling

Competing color schemes - Gloucester Sage or Desert Twilight exterior?

eschmeling
last year

Hi,

we're getting our exterior painted and after many, many swatches and paint samples, I think Gloucester Sage is the best choice for our east facing house with a grey roof. I am having a much harder time coming up with the trim/accent choices: Because the front door entry is recessed, I was hoping to paint that area and the garage door a lighter, coordinating color, and have the gutter, fascia trim and vents in a darker trim color. Windows will be white vinyl, and they don't really have a proper trim (it's just painted on right now) - if we choose to trim them, we'd probably use a white (Steam by Bejamin Moore, for example). Ditto on the garage door - the trim is just painted on at this point and we don't plan to do that.

I am having a difficult time finding a lighter color that coordinates - the one on the strip, Clarksville Gray, is really more of a tan, which doesn't work with the roof in my opinion. I sampled Nantucket Gray/Cheyenne Green (same color) but it's also not a perfect match - perhaps too much contrast. Other options could be Dry Sage or Texas Sage. For the gutters/vents/fascia, I have sampled Iron Mountain but it's turning a wee bit purple on our house, so I might try Wrought Iron instead.

The competing color scheme is Desert Twilight on the body, garage doors and entry area in gray horse (other option would Sea Haze), and the fascia/gutters/vents in Kendall Charcoal or Wrought Iron (Kendall Charcoal might be a touch too light). Overall, this scheme seems easier to "put together", but I find Desert Twilight reading a bit too gray and drab on our house (this could be the location of where I sampled, as the Samplize sheet reads warmer), and I prefer the look of Gloucester Sage, which is a touch warmer.

I would love to hear some input - especially if you have used any of these colors or have some suggestions for other coordinating colors that work with Gloucester Sage. I'm attaching some photos of the whole house, and of the colors on the house. First photo is the whole house and you can see mostly Gloucester Sage on the painted siding. Second photo has Desert Twilight/Nantucket Sage/Kendall Charcoal/Gloucester Sage/Desert Twilight (with Kendall Charcoal and Gray Horse on the side). The third one has Gloucester Sage mostly, plus Iron Mountain and then a Sherwin William color called Honed Soapstone which is mostly not in the running at this point.

Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Here's what BM says are "matching" colors. What did they suggest for contrast?

• eschmeling
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I actually tried Saybrook Sage (one of our original siding ideas, so I had a sample) - it's a bit too minty and at least outside, does not seem to be a great match. The other matching colors are too light unless I just go with an essentially white garage door.

Thanks for reading! :)

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

https://www.colorxs.com/palette/color/gloucester-sage-hc-100

Check out this link for more contrasting colors.

eschmeling thanked decoenthusiaste
  • eschmeling
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, we are getting all new windows and will have white vinyl with no grids. Thanks!

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

How about Desert Twilight with white doors and trim?

• eschmeling
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, that looks nice but we want our recessed entry to be a lighter color than the body of the house - however, I think white would be too stark of a difference.

• btydrvn
    last year

My first thought was…you can’t really see the house well enough….the trees and shrubs are covering most of the house…i would start by removing the overgrowth..so you can see how much natural light you will gain…before you choose colors…also a picture from the curb showing the whole house and property …even a slice of the neighboring homes …will help toward a more encompassing choice…