SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Developing Allergies as you age

Funkyart
last year

My sister had a very bad allergic reaction to Diet Dr Pepper Zero today-- couldn't breath, almost passed out, very scary for DS and BIL. She has developed a number of other allergies-- starting about 5 yr ago, anything with avocado or avocado oil will make her violently ill.. and she has extreme allergies to adhesives, glues and potentially other things. There are only a few brands of shoes she can wear-- otherwise her feet become very red and swollen and covered in hives and sores. She has the same reaction to headphones/earbuds -- her ears and neck become enflamed/red and swollen.

I too have allergies to latex and adhesives but not nearly as extreme. I don't have all the food/chemical allergies but I have very sensitive skin. I will break out in hives from pine sap and some other things but again, not nearly as extreme a reaction. We are all allergic to bee stings.. wasps, etc.

Have you experienced developing allergies or more extreme allergic reactions as you aged? She does see an allergist (and has since she was young) but so far they haven't had much to suggest .. at least regarding her issues with shoes/headphones. She is going to just give up all diet sodas after tonight's experience. Anything else to recommend?

Comments (35)