SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trainee

Ok to remove 2 Aucubas?

KW PNW Z8
last year

I am in PNW zone 8, SW WA, Vancouver (across the Columbia River from Portland OR). I have 3 Aucubas planted @ 8 years ago on north side of my house which are too large & requiring too much pruning to keep to size. Several times this summer I’ve thinned to reduce height, each time cutting lower into the plants. of course they get thicker since each cut at a joint produces three new stems. I also prune away from house so I can easily stand behind them. I just decided that I want to take the one at each end out & leave the middle plant. The middle of this stretch is just siding, and that middle plant has the best color with many yellow leaves bordered in green instead of just yellow spots. This will give me a place for a more interesting shade bed to fill with more neat ferns etc. & make a walk along the path there more interesting. I also want to reduce my pruning chores.

My question is about the lone Aucuba left in the middle - any issues I should think about? I wouldn’t do any cutting to shape it until next spring so I know it will look bare on its sides & be in a pretty awful shape until then. But, it should survive the winter since its so well established, do you agree?

Comments (3)