SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ezwicky2

After transplant seedlings to larger pots, OK to remove from heat?

Eric Zwicky
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm starting seeds under timed grow lights, on thermostat-controlled heating mats, with domes (until they sprout, then dome comes off). Tomatoes and peppers are what I care about most, but I am also growing lettuce, eggplant, impatients, marigolds, lavender and petunias.

The flats of lettuces and flowers are getting moved off the heat mats as soon as they sprout. (I also have two flats of lettuces and flowers that never went to the heat mat). They are sitting on the cold concrete basement floor, with indirect light from the grow lights, which are suspended just a couple inches off the tomato and pepper seedlings.

The peppers that I have moved to larger pots are sitting on a heating mat in the floor, and getting pretty good indirect light from the grow lights. I am getting ready to transplant several tomato seedlings to 4" pots this evening, and I don't have another heat mat to put them on. The heat mat they're on right now, they're sharing with some other seedlings that are not yet ready to transplant to a larger container. So I will have to put the tomatoes (will be in larger pots, so will not fit back into heat mat / tray) in the floor.

So my question, and this pertains to the peppers as well... after the seedlings have several sets of new leaves, have been thinned, and are transplanted from the seedling tray to a 4" pot, do they still need the heating mat? Or will they be OK in the floor, or on a shelf placed onto the floor for a bit of insulation?

I'll be moving them out into the garden in three to four weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Zwicky

Richmond

VA

Comments (20)