SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johndougg

transplanting seedlings from garden

johndoug
16 years ago

Looking for folks with experience in transplanting - not from pots.

For the past few years, i've hoe'd a trench, put seeds in using the recommended spacing - which is too close and requires thinning.

In my row of seeds, let's say on one side (50% of row) the seeds came up, and for whatever reason, on the other side of the row, practically nothing came up. My thoughts would be that instead of "thinning", i try to replant from the "full" side of the row to the "empty" side of the row.

But when is the best time to do this (do i do it very soon, so that roots don't develop, or wait a bit until roots have time and the size gets bigger?), and what approach (do i use a certain tool to get some soil around it? or do i not worry about getting soil? how do i gently replant with most success for regrowing?)

For warm weather plantings, this probably isn't a big issue because i could just reseed where seeds didn't germinate. But now, for example, i have a small window to plant lettuce. If it doesn't come up, and i replant, the replantings may not have time to make it to maturity.

Thanks!

Comments (5)