SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jb_181411202

Overpriced, poor interior painting work. Owed complete redo for free?

jb_181411202
last year
last modified: last year

GC has painted interior of a single-family residence as part of full renovation. They textured all walls. Agreement was that the texture would match throughout the home, on new walls and existing ones. Upon my inspection, the texture doesn't even reach the edges of the walls in many places. Also found out that the painters applied zero primer even though it was agreed that they would, and the primer was there on-site and ready for them to use.

No trim, no baseboards, and no door casings are present in the home yet. However, GC installed cabinets before painting, which caused extra paint labor, of course, because they had to cover the brand-new cabinets with protective plastic and tape around the edges. Invoicing claims nearly 80 hours of painting labor. This means that after the GC's markup, they're charging 7 grand to paint the walls and ceiling of a 1,100 sq. ft. house, and that doesn't even include the cost of paint. Ceilings are all standard height, nothing special. All walls are one color, and all ceilings are one color.

Many places, the painted ceilings show visible streaks even with flat-sheen paint. Pretty much every room has areas where you can see the color of the wall texture through the paint and/or strange patterns are visible on the painted walls, which I suspect is a defect in painting. I also had to purchase several extra gallons of paint because they claimed it needed more, but that was before I found out that they never used primer to begin with. The painters also got paint on my brand-new windows, window screens, and a small amount of paint on kitchen hardware where painter's tape didn't quite cover the edges fully.

Wall paint color is darker than ceiling paint color. The "line" where the two colors meet at the tops of the walls is visibly curvy in many areas. Not sure if that's a problem with their painting skills or the drywall.

I used what I believe to be good-quality paint (middle upper tier) from an extremely well-known national paint seller.

Does the GC owe me a complete primer and repaint of the entire home's interior at their expense?

I learned that 7 grand is nearly three times the amount of money I should have been charged for this amount of painting labor. Does this sound like a $7,000 job? (Remember, that's just the labor.)

I haven't paid yet. Should I expect absolute perfection, as in perfectly straight lines between the light ceiling and the painted walls?

Comments (3)