SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aec0413

help… 14 x 18 screen porch ideas

last year

I’m in the planning stage with my contractor to build a screen porch. Originally I had planned a 16x20 but my house is a small ranch (1300 sq ft) and with the price of lumber etc… I decided to reduce the size. I’m the only one living here but would like to entertain out there too.

I’d like to put a sectional piece with end tables facing a tv and a small dining table. There will be one entrance door from house on the 18 ft side and an exit door from porch to small deck on the 14 ft side.

The roof will be gable style and I’m not sure if I want flat or vaulted ceiling.

I could reduce the size more if I could get the same furniture layout. Though, if there is any extra room I’d love to have a small swing.

I’d love some suggestions and ideas from you guys.

I’ll be doing the electrical and painting myself to save.

Thanks for taking the time!!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    last year

I need to see your house and also the plans for the porch. I think the porch needs to be in proportion to the house and what all screened at all. Do you have experience doing electrical usually this i best left to the pros and honestly how much electrical will you need? I think what you want and wht can be done might not be the same . How many guests will this serve on a normal basis ? Where do you live since the use of screened porches are limited unless you live where winter never happens . Screened porches really need to be designed just like any outdoor space since rain gets in there for sure . I think we need pics please and a to scale plan for the porch and how it connects to the house .

• last year

Thank you for replying

I’ll take pictures

I’m in charleston, SC.

I have experience with electrical work. I worked in the trade for 11 years. I will add approx 4 outlets 1 of those will be near ceiling for string lights. 2 fan boxes with double switch, flood lights on corners which will tie into existing house floods.

I expect the normal guest number to be 2-6.

• Related Discussions

Looking for Some Creative Ideas for 'Temporary' Screen Porch

Q

Comments (8)
    Why not a shade sail with a gauzy fabric that would be rolled up most of the time but could be unrolled and tied down when you will be out? In my experience, the problem with temporary gazebos is that they fall apart in the wind. You would have a secondary issue that the shade sail is not engineered to hold the weight of the screen plus the wind the screen walls catch, so it would have to be a light fabric whatever you use (and again, I would suggest something you can roll up). I am going to be adding some cheesecloth-like fabric (not sure what I will use yet, maybe even old lace curtains, thinking "shabby chic") to my victorian kitchen porch so we can sit on it-it will add shade and bug protection. But I will do it so that I can roll it up into the roof if the wind is bad. We had one of those $300 gazebos (I think it was 10x10 or 12x12 when we lived in Illinois and it barely lasted the season before the wind sheared it. I think it was aluminum. Also, have you looked into solar fan options?
    ...See More

my Beach House living room is 14x11 - help!

Q

Comments (16)
    For relaxing with the family, I'd do a sectional with the lounge end at the door (as long as it leaves you a walkway to the door). So do the set up melissa posted, but without the second chair and sofa with a lounge at that end. But it depends on how your family uses a living space. We like to flop and crowd onto a sectional, others like to sit in individual spaces upright. I'd then do a matching ottoman instead of a coffee table with a big round tray on it to hold stuff that would otherwise go on the coffee table.
    ...See More

14x14 Living room layout

Q

Comments (35)
    Thanks, @ElleN - I do love the idea of storage being closed off, just don't want anything that feels super heavy there. It is SO hard to find the right length, size, visual weight, color, etc. From the kitchen you can also see the breakfast nook area, for which we recently ordered this Arana table from Wisteria - http://www.wisteria.com/Arana-Wood-Dining-Table/productinfo/T19331 and Milano gray dining chairs from Pier 1 https://www.pier1.com/milano-portobello-dining-chair/3507194.html#internal-search-product&autocplt=milano.  I've included pic from kitchen view so you can see how the space flows. I've also included pic from bottom of stairs facing kitchen - don't mind the toddler and mess. :) Hoping it'll all work together and the console I choose jives with it all.
    ...See More

Kitchen layout idea for 19 X 14 space

Q

Comments (9)
    Halve it into the 2 rooms that it needs to be unless you have a 100K+ budget for this as a middle of the road level project. If you do have that budget, then be prepared to add multiple sinks. It’s too big to work without multiple water sources, for multiple work stations, for multiple people. Bigger is not better. It’s a ton more expense and a ton more walking yourself to death.
    ...See More
  • last year

Louis, I appreciate you taking the time to comment but what I described it very common in the Charleston area. That’s how I got the idea.

However, my builder does recommend continuous footings which did add to the price.

• last year

It’s up to the individual. My neighbors use theirs most months except August, though we have used it multiple times when there is a light rain. Id like to have my own space. Early morning coffee in the porch with the fans blowing is relaxing.

I posted asking for suggestions on size, layout, etc… but I appreciate you taking the time to tell me when you can use screen porches in a place I live.

• last year
    last modified: last year

You can figure out exactly how your furniture will work in a 14x18 room with a bit of work and some graph paper.

Use one sheet of graph paper to draw your room EXACTLY to scale. Maybe allow one square to equal 6”. Draw in your doors exactly where they are.

Use another sheet to draw your furniture using the same scale. Don’t have the furniture you want to use? No worries. Look up similar pieces on-line to find their measurements. Simple rectangles or squares are fine. Cut out each piece of furniture you have drawn. Play with their placement on your room sketch.

This can be an eye-opening exercise. You may have more (or less) space than you are thinking. Be sure to allow plenty of empty space for moving around the room. 3’ is a minimum for walking room but 4’ is much better.

Amy thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • last year

We did a screen porch a few yeaes ago. sounds similar to what you are looking to do love it. we did electrical but no tv not tv people. here a few pics of mine for you to see this is inside of it

Amy thanked gtdj519
  • last year

And here is outside of it. small uncovered grill area and steps that go

down to our yard

Amy thanked gtdj519
  • last year

I have a 14x15 screened porch with EZ Breeze windows, a 3 seat sofa, two lounge chairs, coffee table, and a round gateleg dining table with 4 stacking chairs. I keep one leaf of the table down and use it as a console table. The sofa and chairs have aluminum frames so they're easy to move if I want to seat 4 for dining. Another 3' would allow me to keep the table set up at all times, so you might be okay. The EZ Breeze windows keep the pollen out (I live in Williamsburg VA) in the spring, and keep the heat in on sunny fall days.

Amy thanked jkm6712
  • last year

It's just DH and me with a 23 foot but narrow wrap around porch we use a lot.

I posted to encourage you to include the swinging chair from the start so it's support is planned. When I die, they'll probably find my body in my swinging chair, I love that thing so much.

Amy thanked barncatz
  • last year

Lots of points of view here..but not everyone understands how you can adjust to the weather extremes over time…if you have the ability and need to rotate glass and screens for this outdoor area ….it is worth it to be able to enjoy being out…more months of the year…we live outdoors in our summer home everyday…no screens..just roof cover…we can be outside in the shade comfortably up to 85- 90 degrees…….during the day…and in the evening hours ….we watch tv outdoors…going in for a snack or meal if or when the bugs get active….we do have three different seating areas …and just move around for a breeze or shade as needed….we also have a sizeable water feature …as our summer climate is dry….so that adds a pleasant cooling effect to the air…

Amy thanked btydrvn
  • last year

@gtdj519 my DD and SIL have a deck and stairs and under porch area similar to yours but nothing is screened and your design is stunning and would look perfect when they decide to remodel What is the measurement of the screened area ? the grill area ? and can you take a pic standing underneath looking out at the area where the umbrellas are ? Thank you !! Beautiful remodel . c

• last year

Thankyou i will measure and let you know measurements

im sorry, i dont understand the pic you want me to take. you want me to go stand by yard umbrellas and take a pic looking out into the yard, or take a pic of the underdeck area?

Amy thanked gtdj519
  • last year

gtdj519, I’d love to know the measurements too. I love it!

• PRO
    last year

Why is it so hard to take some pics to show us the house .

• last year

I agree with barncatz about the swinging chair. If you think you might want one, plan in the support in the building. Even if you don't get a chair for it for a while, it will be nice to already have the support there for if you do get one. There are also freestanding swing chairs, but the frames for them tend to take up a pretty big footprint for what it is. But there are for sure some nice ones out there.

Is the area just yard now? You could set up some stakes and twine to mark off the space to get a feel for the size of it.

Amy thanked beesneeds
  • last year

I also agree with barncatz suggestion, I’ll definitely include the supports. That’s a great idea to stake off the dimensions to see what works. Thanks!

• last year

I have in-laws in Charleston that LIVE on their screened-in porch all year round. They have a TV and a ceiling fan for the hotter days. It is truly heavenly.

Amy thanked blueskysunnyday
  • last year

I have a daughter who recently moved away from Charleston (Mount Pleasant) and they used their patio year round. Yes, some days were hotter and more humid than others, and of course they could not use the patio in the rain, but they most certainly enjoyed sitting there in the early mornings and in the evenings...whenever they had the chance! DH and I are heading that way next week. Temps will be no higher than 85 during the daytime and around 72 at night for our week. We will have a balcony overlooking the water and plan to enjoy the ocean breezes that the area is so famous for. Being from South Carolina, we have always had a screened porch no matter where we have lived. I guess heat doesn't bother us southerners!

jkm6712 - I'd love to see your EZ Breeze porch. We have talked about using something to close in our porch during the pollen season. Currently looking at a vinyl insert window thingy that can easily be taken in and out.

gtdj519 - I'd also love to know your dimensions. Your outdoor areas are so lovely. Our daughter wanted us to put a sectional on our new screened porch (new house since Christmas), but we were afraid one would not fit.

Amy - Remember when planning your furniture on paper that you will lose some space when the porch framing goes in. So a 14 x 18 slab could turn out to be a 13 x 26 enclosure. We lost some space with ours because of the columns. Our interior porch dimensions are 13.6 x 26.6. A couple of areas have even less space. Notice the interior fireplace bump-out, and the hearth on the outdoor fireplace. We lost a good 10"-12" in front of those. And don't forget the swing of yours doors that may interfere with your porch room.

Hopefully, these photos will give you an idea of what can fit in your space. Keep in mind that your space will be 6' smaller in length. Also, definitely go with a higher ceiling. The area will look larger!

P.S. - We have 3 electrical outlets, an additional high wall outlet for the Edition bulb lights, a T.V. outlet (T.V. can be hung where acrylic painting is currently, and an overhead fan. Additionally, we have two lantern lights.

• last year

@gtdj519 thank you !! I wasn't clear about the umbrella area and how it relates to the under the upper deck area and how it relates to the rest of the yard....so I think two pictures that show a bigger view of how it all goes together. The kids only have the walkout concrete area under the deck and it looks as if your area extends into the yard away from the house . Thank you .I really appreciate it. c

edited...it looks like your whole area is elevated well above the backyard and theirs is flat. So maybe a picture standing with your back against the black metal railing and looking into the under the deck area. Thank you c

• last year

I have major porch envy after seeing the gtdj and nhb photos. I look forward to seeing Amy’s finished project. Good luck.

• last year

nhb22 - photos of porch w/EZ Breeze windows. I stack them high on two sides for the view and breeze, and leave them low on the side without a pond view (it's better in the fall!) to let the hot air out. They are annoying to clean, but otherwise I love them.

• last year

Thank you! I did not realize that the windows remain in the tract when wanting the summertime screening option. I would not want to clean those, either. Seems just as bad as having to clean the porch after pollen season. Can you tell I hate to clean windows!

Love your porch...so pretty and peaceful. I can see why you would want to be able to use the porch year round.

• PRO
    last year

jkm6712, can you tell me the range of what the EZ Breeze Window cost? Did you do the work yourself or did you hire a contractor.? I have a screened porch with a roof but it's too hot in Florida on the porch and I'd like to have AC.

• last year

Beverly - my house was custom, so I can't help you with cost. EZ Breeze windows are single layer vinyl - I wouldn't recommend them for an air conditioned space.

• last year

Hi Amy, my porch is 13' x 13' and I've got two couches, a coffee table, and a small bistro set for two out there. There isn't a good spot to hang a tv, so we have a small 30 or 40" tv we carry out and put on the coffee table to watch football games on nice days. I did a little mock-up of how ours is arranged (definitely not to scale!). We're around 400 miles from you where it's also incredibly humid and I'd say in Charleston, you could easily use yours year round with a ceiling fan in summer and some blankets in winter.

Our couches can comfortably fit two adults with room for personal space in-between, three if everyone's cuddly and/or not overly beefy. The coffee table in the middle of a walkway is normally a dumb idea, but it's not as close to the door as the pic shows and there's room enough to navigate on both sides. Everything can also be be pushed around or moved more to one side if we need to drag something bigger through the middle. I typically keep the couch backs pulled out a foot or so from the porch sides to keep them from getting wet when it rains (with the big storms though, water comes all the way into the middle sometimes). Pushing them back out allows for more walkway room if people are over.

As for height, mine is a 9' flat ceiling, and while something vaulted or higher would feel airier, it would also be a pain to reach to clean (especially when the pollen coats EVERYTHING in spring). It's nice to just need a stepladder to clean the ceiling fan or the ceiling itself. One thing I would add is extra electrical outlets and definitely more lighting. The ceiling fan light isn't enough, so if you think you'd like to read out there in the evening or be able to see the people you're talking to at night, add some extra lighting. A swinging chair might fit in the 35" space below next to the bottom couch with some extra inches too from the couch pushed right more. I think you can make it work if you forego a sectional maybe? Or have two couches in an L with a swinging chair in the corner where they meet, depending on your setup and doorways.

If you made it this far, hope it helps some for ideas and helps make up for some of those intial unhelpful comments. Excited for you and you'll have to show us pics of the porch when it's done!

• last year

Hi Amy,

Our porch is 14 x 22 and we used Larson Scenix windows (single pane, integrated screens). Vaulted ceiling. Ours is just now in the almost-ready-to-be-painted stage. Had a 6 month delay on the door and it literally just arrived, so hopefully soon the porch will be done. Assorted items that we did: We planned for a swing on one side, so had blocking put in the ceiling to accommodate it (and took pics and measurements of where that blocking is located!) We have a small electric fireplace as well, it is merely to 'take the chill' off on a cool night. Looking back, I think a gas fireplace would have been preferred; the builder talked us into the electric one. We put in a knee wall about 18" high with the scenix windows above; electric receptacles are mounted in the knee wall. We also put a receptacle up high to allow us to connect a string of lights for parties or other festive occasions. Receptacle and internet wiring connection above fireplace in case tv is later desired. Center fan/light box in the ceiling, and 4 small recessed cans as well. We went with the windows so that we could enjoy the porch even in pollen season. Bluestone flooring as the porch opens flush with an open patio. Oh - and a drain in the center so I can easily wash the floor.

Scenix windows: https://www.larsondoors.com/windows/scenix-retractable-screen-porch-windows

Amy thanked Jean