SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sconset123

New kitchen layout for old house. Seeking feedback!

sconset123
last year

Hello, I'm planning a kitchen renovation and woud love to hear feedback on my proposed layout.

The house is a 100+ year old Victorian with a typically small kitchen. The previous owners added a family room off the kitchen, which is great to have but also causes some traffic issues, since the kitchen now serves as a hallway to the addition.

I'm working with an architect to plan a renovation with these goals in mind:

1. Open the kitchen so the space can better fit a family of 4 and multiple people working at once

2. Create a more functional layout to improve traffic flow. Currently the island is a "barrier", and the refrigerator and pantry are in an area that people frequently pass through

3. Bring more natural light into the space

Here is a draft of a proposed plan, which extends the kitchen a few feet into the dining room. Note that the wall between the kitchen and dining room is load bearing, and additionally there is a brick column in the middle that can't be removed (it's the boiler flue which extends from the basement out through the roof). All areas that can't be removed are highlighted in pink. The perimiter walls are 2-foot thick stone walls which we don't plan to alter.

Here is an image that shows the proposed kitchen in context of the 1st floor. The living room is not shown, but it spans the full front of the house. The entrance to the kitchen is through the living room.

Please don't pay too much attention to the current cabinet layout. For example, I'll be replacing some cabinets with drawers. What I'm looking for now is help with getting the "big picture" right -- specifically, the placement of appliances, sink, island, etc.

Here is the existing 1st floor layout:

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Comments (21)