SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
latortuga_amarilla

Wrong grout colour, why can't you go over it?

I did a mishap and put on the wrong grout colour on our porcelain floor tile. I did a bit of reading and learned that to repair this one can: a) remove the existing grout, then apply fresh grout or b) use a grout colorant on top of the existing grout to adjust the colour. What I couldn't find is an explanation why I can't just put a new, thin coat of the desired grout colour on top of the existing grout. How do you remove grout? It seems to me that would risk chipping the tile, which I don't want to do!

We're using Mapei Ultracolor Plus FA. On half the floor I mistakenly applied the colour Cobblestone (a light greige) when I was supposed to apply the colour Iron (dark greige) which is darker than the Cobblestone colour. I thought to myself why not just apply a thin layer of Iron over the Cobblestone to fix it? Needless to say, since then I have labelled all of the grout bags!

I saw online they have a Mapei UltraCare Grout Refresh Universal Grout Colorant & Sealer in a variety of colors.

I would appreciate any explanations or other suggestions how to fix this! Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)