SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

UV Resistant Outdoor Wire That Can Handle Being Under Constant Tension

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
last year
last modified: last year

I have some trellises close to a building wall that I need to secure to the rafters above them, to prevent movement towards the building wall and any movement away from the building wall. The wires will be subject to not more than about 200 pounds of force, and they will get constant sun exposure. I mention sun exposure in case someone wants to suggest something like a fishing line, to help make the wires less visible.

* What is a good outdoor wire than can handle a constant 200+ pound load and survive in the sun for 10+ years? Something that was enamel coated or had a UV-resistant sheath would probably be fine. A light brown or white color might be best.

* Specific to stainless steel wire, even 1/4 inch wire was rated for under 175 pounds. Why would a stainless wire that is so thick be so weak? Even a similar-sized rope would be stronger than that?

* What can we screw directly into the exposed rafters (this roof has no soffit) that might be a little more aesthetic than an eye hook?

The attached photo gives a general idea of the setup. The trellis needs to be cleaned off.

Comments (4)