SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_m08

Need help - will adding cover to patio cause too much loss of light?

last year

I’m renovating my entire house + adding a finished basement + new hardscape and landscape in both front and back yards. I have selected basically eveything for the first and second floor inside the house (although I’ve asked my SO for his thoughts on some selections I’ve made re: furniture and some materials). My SO has been focusing on the outside (mostly the backyard). The existing deck was removed - and replaced with a paver patio that includes a fire pit area.

The back of my house has western exposure (bad choice - but I built this house when I was only 26 - and didn’t know much about having a house built!) - so, we are adding a cover to part of the patio (less than 1/3). The three windows that are shown in the drawing are located in my family room.

I just looked at the revised plans for the covered patio - and that‘s when I noticed that the gable end is closed in - I thought it was going to be open with just the three cedar posts.

I am not sure where my house plans are - thought they were in my master bedroom closet - so, I don’t currently have a floor plan of my entire first floor to attach - I only have a quick sketch of the family room that I made on some graph paper awhile ago when I was looking at new furniture for the room (the rectange drawn along one wall represented a sofa I was considering).

A few important points:

1. The house is a traditional center hall colonial.

2. The three windows shown in drawing below are the only windows in the family room (approximately 15 1/2 ’ x 20’).

3. The door located on the south wall goes out to the patio. I’ve been thinking about removing it - but it is full glass so it provides southern light + it will allow covered access to the covered patio. The other door to the patio is located in the kitchen = access to uncovered portion of the patio.

4. Only a little over 4’ of the south wall is actually a full wall. The staircase shown along the south wall of family room is an open u-shaped staircase to second story. There is a very large window located on the landing which can provide light to family room (blinds closed during afternoon in summer since it is western exposure).

5. Quite a bit of light flows from the front entry (two full glass sidelights + glass transom over front door) to the family room because of the 5-6 ft diagnonal entry to family room (opens to foyer plus hall to kitchen - which has a TON of light).

6. When the yard was being prepared for the new patio, I lost a large tree that used to provide A LOT of shade coverage for all three of the family room windows. I never felt like there wasn’t enough light in the family room before the tree was removed.

I absolutely LOVE natural light - I use as little artificial light as possible (and never use any during the day except in windowless powder room). I don’t know how to judge how the cover will affect the room (even more so since the end of gable is closed). I don’t know if I decide that it needs to be open, if that triggers a new approval process with the city.

Please let me know your thoughts/advice.

thanks,

Dani

Comments (9)