SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feathers11

Which rug do you prefer for my entry?

Feathers11
last year

I have family coming to visit in a few weeks, and it's motivating me to get about 5,000 projects done, including choosing a runner for my entry.

I moved into this home about 18 mo. ago during a snowy winter. The entry is small and awkward, and the front door doesn't line up with the hallway leading to the rest of the main floor. (The footprint of this house had to replicate an historical home next door. Some features, like a larger foyer, were sacrificed to incorporate other modern amenities.)

View of front door below. Immediately right of front door is office. Immediately left of front door is stairway. I'm standing between DR on the right, and LR to left/behind me. Doorway halfway in hallway to the left goes to powder room, hall closet and basement.

Here is the view from the office.

When I first moved in, I plopped down 2 heavy-duty floormats...

... and they've been there ever since.

Until today.

So, this entry is mainly used by guests. There is no carpet anywhere in the house, and because the front entry is so tight, I never expect guests to remove shoes. The wood floors are not too precious to me.

Criteria for a new rug were that it must be washable, prettier than black floormats (that's a low bar), and a runner size so that more of the hallway floor is covered. This is a high traffic area, and this house has so much wood flooring that I wanted more rug. As you can see below, the placement of the front door means the runner doesn't line up evenly with it, but there is no getting around that. I looked into a custom-size rug, but couldn't find an acceptable shape that covered enough of the hallway and was washable.

I ordered the 2 washable runners below. My main concern is how they complement the DR rug.

Runner A: colors go better with DR rug (note blue vase on table just as an example of how the 2 rugs could tie together.)

Runner B: style of runner better matches style of DR rug. Darker colors that will work better with fall/winter decor in LR.

Runner A:

Runner B:

Any thoughts? Should I keep looking?

Comments (25)