SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncarey1002

Need Advice on Stair Tread Finish in Garage

Nancy Carey
last year

We just had our garage floor redone and, in the process, removed the builder-grade steps from the garage into the house. Since this is my main method of entering the house, I wanted a more pleasurable experience of entry. We replaced the old stairs with closed-in stairs and replaced the exterior pressure-treated treads with white oak ones. I do not want a stain, just a satin finish. Our garage is not temperature controlled so we have quite a fluctuation in temperature and humidity. Temperatures can range from 32 – 90 degrees and humidity levels can range from 35 – 75. The garage floor does not get wet, except for when the cars will be coming in with snow or rain. I have recently purchased a dehumidifier for the summer and it can stay between 35-50 but we don’t run it 24/7. I am a newbie woodworker and thought of using Minwax Helmsman Water-Based Spar Urethane in a satin finish but online comments were not favorable to using that product for stairs. Would like to know what my options are or if anyone can make a recommendation based on my situation. Thank you.

Comments (2)