SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

Stumped on Choices for Kitchen Update

Kswl
last year
last modified: last year

I am absolutely at a standstill regarding choices for a kitchen refresh I have been thinking about for over a year. The layout works well, and the off white cabinets and SS appliances are all in good shape. When we moved in a couple of years ago I was planning to replace the pendant fixture over the island with a couple of lanterns, but when we took the existing light down I was amazed at how open the room felt in consequence so we replaced the pendants with recessed ceiling lights. We also replaced the refrigerator with a counter depth fridge only.

Now I have no idea what to do for new counters and backsplash. The existing materials are dated—St. Cecelia granite counters and 12’ square tan tile backsplash. The kitchen is open to our main living area that features a brick fireplace (we had the black marble fp surround reclad with brick when we moved in). The floors are a medium reddish brown 3” wood that we are also contemplating replacing.

I like the combination of gray, off white and a light beige or brown— just not in the combination I currently have. I have considered marble tile for the backsplash, a black counter and wood island top. Also wood counters and a brick backsplash similar to the fireplace with a lighter stone island top. Also white with gray and beige veins stone for the perimeter counters, wood island and who knows what for the backsplash? I’ve looked at soapstone, porcelain, marble, quartz, quartzite and everything else. I cook daily with lemon juice and tomatoes and foods with other staining, etching components and am worried about the problems Ive read about every type of counter surface. I have ordered boxes of different tiles and taped them onto my backsplash to get a true representation of how it would look, and ordered craft papers and completely covered my counters to see how a particular color would look. I haven’t been wowed by anything. And, I realized I really do not like unusual tile shapes and patterns regardless of how nice they look in other people’s kitchens. I don’t want a kitchen that is on trend. I want one that blends well with the room and is a workhorse that doesnt require special upkeep or care.

If you have read this far—- and bless your heart if you’ve slogged through it— the next post contains pictures of the kitchen as it is right now. I have considered hiring a kitchen designer, but I live in a small town and the scope of the project is not really of interest to someone who would have to travel an hour and a half each way and their installers probably wouldnt be that interested either. I don’t really have a spending limit on this project, although it wouldn’t make sense to use very top shelf luxury materials in this home / this location. I am open to any and all ideas, including colored or painted tiles.

Comments (2)