SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lanikaicoconut

Rift-sawn white oak kitchen in Manhattan pre-war apartment?

lanikaicoconut
last year
last modified: last year

I've had some contractors and a kitchen designer over my apartment. I'm looking to do either a two-tone kitchen (emerald green lowers and white-ish uppers) or a wood kitchen (uppers and lowers). The reason I picked these two options is because of feng shui. They're all suggesting to do the rift-sawn white oak kitchen. They said other woods would be too dark for my small galley kitchen.

I live in an almost 100-year-old building. I want to try to remain as true to the building's age as I can. Does the white oak go in my space? It seems to have a bit of a beachy vibe. I love it but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for my apartment. If I do a white oak kitchen I thought it would be nice to pair it with taj mahal or perla venata quartizte to perhaps "dress it up" a bit. And with either brass or pewter hardware.

When I search on houzz for pre-war kitchens, I don't really encounter white oak unless it's super modern, something that I'm trying not to do. What's funny is that all the contractors are trying to steer me towards the ultra modern cabinets. I don't know why. Is it because it's more streamlined and they think it will look better in my small kitchen?

In case it's pertinent, I should mention my apartment is quite eclectic in furnishings. I have a lot of modern furniture (ie. Room and Board; DWR) with some "antique" (antique is in quotes because they're not over 100 years old) pieces thrown in with some artwork I've found during my travels.

Comments (14)