SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_468010620

What Window Brand to Purchase?

HU-468010620
last year

Hi Everyone.

I am looking to replace some double hung windows (and possibly a sliding door) in my home that are about 20+ years old. I am also looking to keep the cost "within reason". I had Anderson and Pella here once and their estimated cost (with their best discount) was with no exaggeration, 300% of most other brands. Yes, I understand they have won the branding contest and they may offer some additional features and a lifetime warranty, but to me, while I might be willing to pay a premium for them, nothing is worth 300% more. I'd rather have a 10 year warranty and face the possibility of another replacement in 10-15 years - it would still be less expensive - if I'm even still in the house at that point.

So I started looking at Marvin and Harvey. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that one contractor said that even Harvey's top of the line is no better than average. I was also told that you should not use replacement windows but use new installation windows even for replacement.

So who makes a good moderately priced window and which manufacturers have folks had a good experience with? I understand that you get what you pay for, but I think I should still be able to get decent quality out of a moderately priced window.

Many thanks for your help!

Comments (9)