SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Birthday Celebration Menu - any thoughts/additions?

Funkyart
last year
last modified: last year

I am putting together a menu for my mother's 80th Birthday in early Sept. I am not hosting but I do want to take on the bulk of food planning/prep as my sister usually takes it all on her shoulders. I am going to share this menu suggestion with her later this week.

Some of the factors I took into consideration .. mom doesn't eat much but loves to nibble.. she loves greek food as do most of the attendees. The guest list will be 12-18 and immediate family only because mom has not been doing well. She has a lot of pain and virtually no energy. Her dearest friends have all died and we've opted not to include casual friends since she isn't feeling well. The party will be poolside afternoon/evening assuming the weather cooperates. 6-8 guests will be coming in from out of town hence the full day of food.

Afternoon Grazing ..

Mezze Board -

• Marinated Olives
  • Hummus
  • Feta Dill spread
  • Roasted marinated peppers & zucchini ribbons
  • pita
  • fresh veggies

Sausage and Honey

Mini Spanakopita

Fresh cut fruit & berries

Dinner ..

Saganaki (flambe haloumi cheese)

Beef/Chicken/Fish Souvlaki w/Tzatziki & veggie accoutrement (cukes, onions, toms)

Shrimp, Feta & Orzo salad

Greek French Fries

Dessert ...

Baklava

Mom's favorite flourless chocolate cake with raspberries

It seems like a lot to me but 1. there will be drinking and grazing throughout the afternoon 2. I include a number of mom's favorites... but also items to please some of the pickier eaters.

What do you think? is it too much? Is there anything I should add to round out a greek menu?

Comments (46)