SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 8/7

Funkyart
last month

Let us know how you are doing with your progress towards improving your healthy lifestyle ... exercise, diet and weight loss through the week!

Comments (27)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

It's hard to believe that by the end of this week, we'll be firmly in mid-August and approaching the end of Summer! I had a goal for weight loss through the summer and I will not achieve it but the goal was very much aspirational and not a realistic or healthy pace. I am going to just purge that goal from my head and promise myself to set more realistic and healthy goals going forward.

I lost 1.7lb this week (reported for a total of 7lb since the end of May. While it wasn't steady week by week, it is a healthy 2.3lb/month. I am good with that.

I have 4 birthday celebrations this month (one of which will require planning/prep) and work is becoming much busier. These aren't huge challenges but I think it helps to be aware of them month by month so I can plan for them and not let little things derail me.

My goals for the month:

1. keep doing what I've been doing despite a busier schedule and more demands on my time. (Calorie target: 1000 cal/day-- not to exceed 1200. Continue the IF i started this past week)
    2. Refocus on drinking water/iced tea - my water consumption took a significant dip in July
    3. increase my activity with walking/treadmill and add in the resistance bands.
    4. Be more patient and accepting of my current pace. It's healthy and sustainable.

ETA: @l pinkmountain so glad to hear you are enjoying the bike-- I am sure an engaging podcast helps! I too am thinking about the future and what my next decade will look like as I approach retirement and likely more limitations due to my vision disabilities. It feels good to take some control vs just letting life happen for good and bad.

• Related Discussions

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/12

Q

Comments (40)
    Just catching up with this thread. I am in the same boat as Mtn. Incredibly down compared to normal. When all the nonsense in life started, wise old me thought, This is all going to pass soon. Then Covid came, Science will win, I thought. And now, well the problems keep piling up, and science is in a stalemate with the virus. The economy is doing what its doing, which will hurt many people and affect politics. Gun violence, like teen suicides, appears to be contageous. My very deep reserve of optimism is running low. And my response has been pathetic. I just had a slice of Basque cheesecake for lunch (I didn't buy or make it, DS2 is home and he likes the kitchen, darn it. I call him, The destroyer of my good intentions.) Funky, I hope the surgery went super well and your recovery is quick.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 7/24

Q

Comments (31)
    I probably got the ulcers from taking a lot of NSAIDs for migraines. I am hoping that they heal but I have to stay on this limited diet for at least six months. Technically I'm not supposed to drink any fizzy drinks, but I do splurge on a flavored soda water, sans calories. I drink either Lacroix or Polar or a store brand. It seems crazy, but I have a hard time drinking just water, it tastes metallic to me and it just kind of gags me to try and drink it. It's like taking medicine. The metameucil goes down easier ironically. I also have to take the generic Prilosec. And no more naproxin or ibuprofin or asprin. I can still take Tylenol. I supposedly have to take the fiber drinks twice a day but I am lucky if I remember to take them once a day. I eat a lot of fiber, but with being on a diet, I don't actually get to eat a lot of anything, so I take the fiber supplements and a probiotic tablet every day. I know exercise would help with the diverticulosis too . . . sigh. I am just so busy right now with household things, and a lot of sitting at my desk for some other projects . . . and when I'm not sitting I'm super busy with the home projects. At night I feel exhausted. That's why of all the exercise options, seems like yoga in the evening would most work into my busy schedule. That and just doing some time on the exercise bike on the porch . . .
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 7/31

Q

Comments (52)
    Pricklypear, the message is in the conclusion: “After a full year, 118 patients successfully completed the study, with similar rates of adherence to the diet and composition of the diet between the two groups. Both groups lost a significant amount of weight: an average of about 18 pounds for the time-restricted eating group and 14 pounds for the daily-calorie-restriction group. The difference in weight loss between the two groups was not statistically significant, nor was there a significant difference in weight loss among subgroups when sorted by sex, BMI at baseline, or insulin sensitivity. The resulting improvements in blood pressure, lipids, glucose, and cardiometabolic risk factors were also similar between the two groups. This trial provides strong evidence that, all else being equal, restricting the eating window alone does not have a substantive impact on weight loss.” The more information we have the better off we all are. IF may be helpful for people who have certain types of eating patterns that a fasting schedule can disrupt to their benefit. That is certainly not in dispute. It should not, however, be viewed as a primary means of losing weight.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 8/14

Q

Comments (37)
    @legomom, the sit/stand thing is always an concern for me-- I have a genetic blood disease that greatly increases the chance of blood clots... and now that I am working at home, I sit much more than ever. I don't think a standing desk would work for me but I should consider one... in the short term I can definitely get up in move. I think my neighborhood is similar to yours-- not all roads have sidewalks but it is safe and "walkable" .. but you can't really walk anywhere. You can walk the neighborhood. I would be ok with that except that my vision issues make it unsafe for me. I can best walk with someone in front of me-- which is a possibility maybe if i can get a walking partner. I basically have no depth perception, double vision and poor focus. I can't focus on moving things or changing focal points. I am best in full light with high contrast. I am a mess, huh? lol. I really do love the idea of short stints of exercise-- i am going to start tomorrow! No-- now, I REALLY need to get up. My behind hurts! ETA I think I could walk on a track without issues.. but since I don't drive that is a little bit of an issue. I may uber to a track once a week.. or try to rope a niece into walking with me. One also has some weight to lose so that's an option if she's game.
    ...See More
  • legomom23
    last month

@l pinkmountain I'm so glad you enjoyed the podcast and could relate to it. I have found some good podcasters who between them I can pretty much find something I want to listen to. I look forward to it now - that is what I listen to on my walks. The fermented foods are still outside my zone - their benefits come up a lot, but I haven't found a way to add those to my diet yet - besides pickles - which I'm not sure how beneficial those are when you buy them from the grocery store. I've found some at the health food store that are better than nothing I guess.

@Funkyart Great job on the steady weight loss! I think you're right - when you can steadily lose weight while living your normal life with its challenges, that's when it will stick! And I'm so glad you found a new dress you liked!!

The healthy as we're aging thing is big with the people I follow - They call it healthspan vs lifespan. Staying healthy and independent and productive as long as you can. When I started with my coach it was one of the questions I really thought about - why do you want to do this - and after really thinking it through and getting past the vanity part, I did get to that part. To be healthy and in shape to enjoy my life, to live independently as long as possible. It's pretty motivating to feel better. I'm just 52 and in good shape relatively, and hopefully that will continue!

But speaking of vanity :) I can sense that people think I look differently now - and it's interesting. What do you say to someone who has lost weight? You look good - then you looked bad before? Someone I'm not really close to that I haven't seen since pre covid asked me how many pounds I'd lost - that caught me off guard. Anyway -that is a whole other topic - accepting and loving your body when it's not quite where you want it, and enjoying the differences losing weight brings without feeling superficial about it all.

I had a good week - lots of exercise made up for not eating at home as much as I should have, so I'm still trending with the pound a week loss. Revisited my body work exercise plan for the next month with my coach and came up with some strategies for pre and post pickleball food choices. Keep on keeping on!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

I don't really mind comments on my losses-- in fact, I appreciate them but I don't take it as an, "oh you looked terrible before" but a, "hey, you look good, keep it up!". I don't know about you but when I am feeling good I carry myself better, I tend to smile more. I just think it is reflected in all aspects of my appearance. That said, I generally only get those compliments from a handful of people.

Whether I share it here, with others IRL or just with myself, enjoying the benefits of weight loss are a big part of my motivation. Wearing smaller sizes, being able to purchase from brands I couldn't before a fun little boosts. Doing yard maintenance/household tasks without becoming winded are bigger boosts. I will likely be in the weight loss portion of my push to good health for at least another year. I need something to help me stick with it and get through the plateaus and months with slow losses. I need that motivation-- even when it is superficial!

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

Whether I appreciate a comment about my weight loss really depends on who is making the comment and how it is made. If it is someone close to me, the comments are usually lovely and kind, probably because they know I am actively working on my weight/health. However, I feel very uncomfortable when people who barely know me make comments or ask questions, like my somewhat misygonistic older male neighbor who asked "Have you lost weight?" while I was trying to get my mail. I think in general it's bad form to ask anyone about their weight specifically ("Have you lost weight?" "You look skinny." "Are you on a diet?" etc), especially because you never know if that person is intentionally losing weight, has a health issue, or is suffering with an eating disorder. However, if someone you are close with has been working hard on fitness or has mentioned working on weight loss or healthy eating, saying something positive like "You look great!" can be a nice affirmation of their hard work. At least that's how I feel.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

Great points-- I really only get those comments from those close to me these days... but it's only because I rarely go out anymore!

I would not welcome the comments from a misogynist neighbor or leering coworker/acquaintance... and I would never want to make anyone feel uncomfortable especially if they have a health issue/eating disorder.

Thanks for nudging me to consider wider situations!

• Kswl
    last month

I’m going for repeat labs for a thyroid problem noted back in May. I thought my extreme tiredness was due to the punishing temperatures and the frequency of looking after our grandson while the kids were moving, but apparently I have developed another heart condition (atrial fibrillation) in addition to the one I already have. My clotting problem makes some of the usual medications for that problematic, dammit. (Sorry!)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

Sorry to hear, Kswl.. hope they get a good plan for you despite your clotting problem.

I have Factor V Leiden, a genetic clotting disorder that increases clotting... but I am guessing you are slow to clot?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

I have a "confession" -- try as I might, I do not like salmon. I love it when it is fresh cooked in the PNW but I can only remember once when I enjoyed it here on the east coast. It's a shame-- it's such a great fish... always available, the ONLY fish that is good the second day (especially if poached) and high in omegas. I tried it again last night because I am back to a schedule where I need easy, fast but healthy meals.. and I didn't even finish a portion size. I can't even say why I don't like it. I just don't enjoy it.

There are plenty of other fish I do like.. so I guess I will stick with them. Halibut, tuna, cod, sole, flounder, bronzino, red snapper.. it makes no sense that I don't like salmon. :(

So I continue my quest for easy meals-- and for increased protein. I am still limited on meats.. i can eat ground meat, chicken if cut small and fish. I am preferring vegetables these days but now that I am tracking my meals again, Myfitnesspal keeps telling me i am not getting enough protein lol. I had taken a break on eggs but adding them back in this week.. that will help.

Not much progress other than monitoring my calories. Ive been pretty successful staying between 1000 and 1200 calories.

I have made no progress with exercise though I have been more active in general. I have a couple of home organization/clean up projects going ... including a deep purge on my closets. It is crazy how many clothes I have kept over the years. I have a leather jacket that is now considered "vintage" according to ebay and poshmark LOL! Anyhow, when i hit the basement storage in the next day or two, the treadmill will be staring me in the face. Time to get on it!

• Kswl
    last month

Yes Funky, that’s the problem 🙁 (And shhhhh….I don’t care for salmon either!)

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

@Kswl I'm so sorry that you're going through all of that. I hope they're able to help your tiredness with thyroid meds. I take them and I am just miserable and exhausted without them. Best wishes on the doctors finding the right balance of treatments for you.

@Funkyart thank you for continuing this weekly thread. So motivational for me to see how everyone is doing and to feel accountable somewhere besides my own head. I hope your organization process allows you to set up a pleasant workout space. I do find that it helps to have a space that works for you. Maintaining calories like you're doing is impressive. I think that's the hardest part.

As always I struggle a little to pinpoint my weight as it fluxuates by several pounds within the week. I seem to be down a little (.5lb-1lb maybe) this week but it's a little unclear. Exercise is going well. 4x swimming last week, 3x running. I think I did 3-4 days weight lifting. I have been socializing a bit more in the last few weeks so I am proud to say that I did really well limiting my alcohol intake to just 1x drink 2x nights last week while the rest of my friends were throwing back many. I have some dental work Thursday that I'm anxious about but I bought ingredients for a broccoli soup and hope that the pain will only last a few days. And then Friday I will be talking through my not perfect digestive test results to try to continue treating my gut which is better than it was (giardia is officially eliminated) but not quite as good as it was right after the initial treatment. And I'll be doing my bloodwork too in order to check my thryroid and some of the results that were creeping up that motivated me to make a huge change this year to lose weight. Hoping for good results, but a little nervous what it will mean if I don't see much improvement. I'm also hoping I can ask my doctor about a tiny lump in my neck between my collarbone and juggular vein that has been around for some time (not sure how long) and it isn't going away. It's freaking me out a bit after googling.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

Boy @pricklypearcactus you are doing it all at once! Dr and Dentist! I hope all goes smoothly and that you get to the bottom of some of the troubling issues. I understand your anxiety and know there's not much I can say to quell the fears but do try to keep them in check. Try to take it one step at a time and not jump ahead of your results! Glad they eliminated giardia-- I had it and another parasite many years ago and it was horrible and a long process to get rid of them! (and I no longer eat raw oysters).

I hope your dental work isn't as painful as you are anticipating. If it is and cold isn't an issue-- my savior was rita's italian ice. I think they are limited to the east coast but it's basically an italian water ice-- but with fresh fruit and smooth. I think you were one of the folks who said they have a vitamix? If so you can make them with frozen fruit.

I really don't find it hard to stay in the 1000-1200 calorie range. IF helps a lot because even a light breakfast adds to the calories! Otherwise, the items I eat aren't far off from what I ate before I was focused on losing weight. I mean, sure I had some high calorie days but it wasn't the norm. I don't feel like I am giving much up-- I have even been able to indulge here and there by watching portion sizes and being careful with what else I eat that day.

I was pretty pleased with my lunch today-- it was so satisfying and just a little over 200 calories. I had a slice of Dave's Killer thin cut multigrain bread (70 calories-- not all are that low) with a small amount of mayo mixed with pesto and 2 slices of organic turkey breast. The pesto made it so tasty! I also had a kumato tomato with just salt and pepper. I just don't feel like I am giving much up when I can make foods that are full of flavor.

Again, wish you the best, @pricklypearcactus and sending you all good vibes!

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

Thank you @Funkyart! I've had some traumatic dental things in the past so I'm a huge nervous wreck before anything. This one should be minor and I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing. Thank you for the suggestion! I do indeed have a Vitamix and the last time I did dental work it really saved the day. I love the idea of trying fresh fruit with ice in it. Mostly I've done frozen fruit mixed with a little fresh fruit and some milk but the ice + fresh fruit sounds really refreshing and soothing (if my mouth is ok with cold). I wish I knew where I got giardia. I had such severe stomach issues for so long and this was the first doctor who ever suggested testing. If she hadn't, I would still be suffering from it. I think I only ate raw oysters once as a child, but I have spent plenty of time swimming in lakes. When camping/backpacking I always treat my water or drink it from a potable water source, but mistakes happen. And my now 6 year old dog had giardia when we got her as a pup and had a really tough time treating her, so as disgusting as it sounds, I could have gotten it from her. I'd been having digestive issues long before she came around though so who knows. I am definitely cramming all the appointments in this week. No wonder I'm feeling anxious about everything. Probably not the smartest choice on my part. Your lunch sounds so delicious! I love how a little pesto really makes a huge difference in flavor.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

Oh gosh, I misunderstood-- i thought tests showed you didn't have Giardia. It's hard to nail down where you got it-- and like you mentioned, it's disgusting to even think about! We narrowed it down to either raw oysters or jumping in/swimming from a boat on the Indian river in FL... but the doctor said it could have come from anywhere.

The recipes I saw for water ice did a quick freeze of the fresh fruits-- but I am sure there are many recipes and approaches. I especially love pineapple ice but it was a little too acidic for me post surgery. Mango is great and so is dragon fruit! Truth is, I can't imagine many fruits that wouldn't be good!

• straitlover
    last month

Kwsl. have them check your Vitamin D level as well. I get extreme fatigue when mine gets really low. Once when it was around 10, I could barely put one foot in front of the other.

Pricklypearcactus, there's a chance it could just be a cyst. I have one under my jaw right around where you check your pulse. I thought about having it remover but haven't bothered. I have several in various places. I had once right on my spine right below my neck that I had removed, and another one developed a few inches below right on the spine right after, so I don't even bother with them anymore. Hope yours is nothing serious.

I keep reading everyone's posts, and I get motivated in the AM but crash and burn by the PM. No gains, but no losses either. I will get on track soon!

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

@straitlover thank you for sharing about your cyst. I am really hopeful that it's a cyst. When I googled about "lump in neck" that seemed like a very plausible explanation for mine, and definitely the least scary.

@Funkyart sorry, I think I was very unclear about the giardia. I tested positive for giardia (and h. pylori and a few others) in January and did a round of antibiotics to treat it. My digestive system was so much better afterwards. The doctor had the same tests done again in July since my stomach was feeling a bit worse again. The good news is that I am now negative for giardia! But there are some new bad things showing up that I need to fix, so I'll be meeting with the doctor on Friday to discuss treatment. I'm really hoping it's not going to be food restrictions since it's hard enough being healthy as a vegetarian. Mango and dragonfruit blended with ice sounds so delicious. I've seen both at the grocery store too, so I could easily grab some. Yum.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

@pricklypearcactus I don't remember all the details but I know I was on some strong meds for about 8 months-- and I couldn't have any alcohol with them. Not just alcoholic drinks-- but i couldn't even use hairspray! That was in the late 80s/early 90s.. I was a party girl and removing both from my routine was a huge change of life!! I hope that whatever is going on now has a quick and easy fix-- with no dietary restrictions! Best of luck!

(and I really need to order my own Vitamix! I just can't decide which one so I keep putting it off! At this point, I might as well wait for the holiday sales!)

• legomom23
    last month

@Kswl - sorry to hear about your health issues. I have a friend who goes into Afib sometimes and has been shocked? back into rhythm? I can't remember the procedure. But, she's had luck with it. My dad has had it for about 20 plus years I think - he's 89. I hope you find good help for yours. Also, maybe check your B12 levels. It becomes harder for our body to adsorb it as we get older, and low levels can cause a lot of health issues and fatigue.

@pricklypearcactus - hope your procedure goes smoothly today! I too hate dental work. There's just something about it, and I think many of us have some awful experiences when we were younger and they didn't try so hard to make us comfortable.

I'm having an OK week - doing well on my exercise, pretty ok on my food, and poorly on my wine consumption! I think I'm going to have to move onto the sober movement podcsts to motivate me in that direction now :) I am starting to enjoy my resistance training routines and find myself somewhat looking forward to them now, so that's a plus.

I did get a good look at my face in real sunlight the other day and realized my bathroom lighting is awful! And losing 20 pounds lead to a loss of some of the natural fat filler I had going on :) Wrinkles are really showing up. I've always had really dry and fair skin, and even though I was always consistent with daily sunscreen, the wrinkles are there for sure. So, off to read the other thread here about that! I'm not brave enough - yet- for any real interventions, but it's good to know what's out there and working.

• Feathers11
    last month

Good luck today, Pricklypear! And Kswl, I hope you find some answers so you can find some solutions.

Pink, I'm an advocate of fermented foods. I used to brew kombucha and made homemade kefir. I enjoyed the kefir, but it got ahead of me too easily. (It's a daily turnover, and soon grows to a volume I didn't need.) I may try both again, as the kefir was really very good. I now drink a bit of store-bought, plain kefir every day. My nephew makes homemade sauerkraut, and I'd like to try that.

This week has been up and down. The up was a road trip I made last weekend. Usually, I use these as license to eat junk like chips and candy. It's like calories don't count on the highway! But this time, I prepped raw veggies the night before, along with some almonds. They were enough to keep me entertained while driving and listening to podcasts.

The down is that I haven't done much strength training this week. Of all the healthy habits I develop, that one's easiest to let slide. But I'm back on it today, and will get at least 2 good workouts in before the weekend.

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

Thank you @Funkyart, @legomom23 and @Feathers11 for the well wishes. I just got home from my dental procedure. I had this really bad feeling going in about the shots due to a traumatic experience when a previous dentist hit a nerve with the needle on my upper jaw many years ago. Well, this dentist hit a nerve bundle on the lower jaw, right after we talked about how I was feeling anxious about it. It wasn't as horrific as the upper jaw but very painful and I couldn't stop shaking for a while. But, I surived and no paralysis this time so that's good. He ended up doing more drilling than I expected (decided to replace a filling while he was in there) so I'm glad I'm prepared to make soup for dinner. If I can handle cold, I'll try the suggestion of some fruit and ice in the blender.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

Oh no, @pricklypearcactus! I am so sorry your dentist hit a nerve! I can't even imagine! I hope your soup hits the spot and that you can relax the rest of the night! You've earned a light evening!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

I am not doing a great job of making time for exercise-- i certainly have time but I just need to make it a priority. My work schedule is shifting and I am working longer/later hours. I am also requiring more sleep the last few weeks. I think I just need to settle into a routine-- a routine that includes time for treadmill/resistance bands/etc.

I am down .6 lb from my lowest weight today-- but like so many others, i am up/down 1- 2 lb day to day. Much as I love summer and summer produce, I am starting to get excited for fall. I ordered some new Ras El Hanout moroccan spice -- I love ras el hanout on stir fried vegetables in the fall!

Hope everything went well today @pricklypearcactus!

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

Thank you @Funkyart. Well, the bad news is that I am showing markers for gluten intolerance and also leaky gut. So my doctor said I should try zero gluten (I don't eat a lot anyway) for 3 weeks and see what happens. My biggest frustration with this is that as one of the only vegetarians in my social group, I often struggle to eat socially when I'm not hosting. And adding gluten intolerance into that mix makes it even worse. Already everyone wants to eat at very meat-focused restaurants where I'm lucky to find any vegetarian items and it's even worse if someone wants to host/cook dinner unless it's my immediate family who is very understanding. I hate being "difficult" for others. I'm also low stomach acid (possibly from the h. pylori which is now resolved) so I'll be taking some enzymes when I eat. And then there are some other imbalanced bacterias, so she's going to send me a new list of supplements. So overall, not great. But not the worst in the world.

@Funkyart just yesterday I was thinking about weight fluxuations and how to judge progress with them. And my thought is that if we look at where we are with our lowest (is it continuing to decrease) and where we are with our highest (is it staying steady or decreasing), then we should feel like we're making some progress. So it sounds like you're doing great on the weight front! I completely agree that finding a routine that works for you will help. I've found that if I at least do a portion of my workout in the morning before work, I am able to keep more consistent. It's tough for me in the evenings when I'm tired and cooking dinner and I end up falling off the bandwagon.

• jill302
    last month

@Kswl - So sorry to hear about you being diagnosed with A-Fib. Hoping your treatment will go smoothly. One of my close friend’s was diagnosed with A-Fib last year and she is doing well.

@pricklypearcactus - Hope everything went well at dentist. I understand your apprehension. My first dentist in life was my grandfather, I truly think that he was a bit of a sadist, he would never give novacaine for any dental work and always seemed to find something to drill. He was not a very nice person besides that either. Despite being good at brushing my teeth I experienced a number of cavaties at a young age. My mother refused to take me to a different dentist, she took me to my grandfather every 6 months. My grandfather eventually had a bad stroke and I was able to change dentists, I was in college at that point. Next dentist seemed great until he hit a nerve. As an adult I do not go to the dentist as often as I should, as fear continues to plague me, especially when I am going to a new dentist. My last dentist of 10 years, lovely man, passed away, so I am on the hunt again.

This last week has gone fairly well. When at home I stuck to my eating plan. Went to our desert house with a friend for a couple of days, while there I went off plan a bit but I was okay with that. Did my stretching almost everyday, still need to add in more excercise but I do feel overall I am healthier and happier the last few weeks.

Love reading about everyone’s successes and challenges, very inspiring.

• legomom23
    last month

@pricklypearcactus - that is difficult - when your eating doesn't match up with your friend group. It certainly complicates social get togethers - which seem to always center around food. At least mine do!

I agree on the trends with weight - but today I saw a higher number that I hadn't seen in awhile - no good. It's been a weird week for me. I've exercised a little more than usual, but I also catch myself sneaking a bite here and there I wouldn't have if I were wearing my CGM. I thought I was getting over that - but I catch myself thinking - I exercised a lot today! I personally don't really think it's all calories in calories out for me. And I don' track calories at all, so it's kind of crazy how I am falling back on that when I want a treat. So, my monitor goes back on Sunday evening - we'll see what those snacks add up to in my levels.

I also mixed up my exercise and I don't like it:) I was doing a 4 mile walk several mornings - fasted - before I ate anything, and skipping breakfast, That seemed to be a good fit for me. Now we've been playing pickleball in the morning, which is too much for me to do without breakfast. So, I'm eating before I play. So, I need to work through that. Hopefully next week we can go back to some nights instead of mornings.

I am using an app called Happy Scale - free on the app store - where you record your weight every day - if you weigh every day like I do. It's really interesting to see the trends over time. I'll see a fluke low number and then back up, but about a week later that low number starts showing up regularly. Then it shows you your weight loss trend over time. It helps me not get so stuck on the every day variations that just naturally occur.

• yeonassky
    last month

My exercise program just became a bit simpler so I'm happy about that. I finally found a good explanation of how to work my way up to a proper push-up. I've been doing the one on the floor on the my knees but felt like I'm not really getting anywhere. The person in the video is very clear and they explained very well how to progress. Hopefully it will work and I will be able to do regular push-ups eventually.

https://youtu.be/cl6AGWoPdaE

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last month

@yeonassky thank you for sharing. I appreciate how she approaches the importance of form. Because I was an athlete many years ago, I struggle when returning to exercise because I have unrealistic expectations of what I can do.. or what I think I should be able to do. I am not going to be able to start out running a few miles, swimming miles or dropping to do 20 perfect pushups. I CAN build up to them though-- and I love that the video emphasizes using the correct form even when doing a much modified version of the pushup. Thank you.

@pricklypearcactus I am so sorry you are dealing with these issues! I totally get the challenges of eating out with dietary limitations. I feel uncomfortable even with family who go out of their way to serve foods I can eat-- I don't want them to prepare something special for me. I don't want to add to their planning/cooking tasks! On the other side though, it is so awkward to go to a restaurant or dinner party and not be able to eat anything. I could get by without gluten at home but it would definitely be a struggle outside of the home.

And you are right, i need to just make a set time for exercise. Early morning is a possibility. I start my day very early but that time from 5/5:30 to 8am is pretty sacred to me. It's when I get the most work done and I really value the quiet time before the frequent interruptions, problems, questions start flowing in. In my 40s, I used to run at lunchtime. It was a great break in the day and a great way to work off the frustrations of the day. I think I'll try both carving out 40 min in the morning first and at lunch and see which feels better.

@legomom23 I don't think it is all calories in/out for me either. I know my metabolism plays a factor also. I really did't overeat regularly and I didnt eat high calorie foods regularly-- I can't explain why I have struggled with my weight for so long (basically all my life). I would compare my eating with that of my siblings or my bff-- and I would eat so much less but weigh so much more. I have learned to accept this, it is what it is, but I try to build my weight loss strategies around that. As I've said before, IF works very well for me and I suspect it has to do with my metabolism. And of course, I need to add muscle-building exercise! That has such further reach than just the energy expended/calories burned. I definitely need to get moving with exercise NOW. (She says as she gets ready to go out for the morning vs exercising)

Sponsored Story
Pristine Acres
Pro Spotlight: Unearth a Backyard Made for Your Outdoor Lifestyle