SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_davis69

Large 2-panel patio door/french door options for a wide 130" span?

R Davis
last year

I am replacing the windows in my home and also planning a kitchen reno.

We have a 130 inch span currently taken up by a roughly 96" x 80" patio door and 36"-ish window.

I would like to replace it, ideally, with one large 2 panel patio door that spans the entire width. (FWIW, I have had an engineer take a look on-site who is fine with this change from a structural standpoint)

I have looked deeply into multi-slide and bifold patio doors and have eliminated both as options because 1) multislide is expensive and requires thicker walls than I have (I have "standard" -- I think -- 5 inch exterior walls) and 2) bi fold is expensive and sounds like it will have issues with my home (engineer recommended against it unless I could find bottom-rolling vs. top hung which I haven't seen a vendor for, this house built on a hillside with a weird floor trussing system and is prone to settling).

I haven't seen a vendor who will make a 2 panel door in 130 that fits in my wall. The biggest I have found is Pella, who I think will make a 9'11" (119"). Most places do max 8'8" (104", which hardly seems worth replacing the beam/combining)

I would also consider a 3 panel french door, but that takes away from deck space when open + no screen.

tl;dr:

• Renovating 1970s era home w/ original aluminum windows.
  • Looking for a door to span a 130" opening.
  • Avoiding top-hung bifold and multisliders (exterior wall not thick enough for multislider, engineer recommended against top-hung bifolds).
  • Fallback is simply to keep current patio door slider/window vs. combining.

Questions:

• Any suggestions of vendors who make a 2 panel patio door that can span 130 inches?
  • Any suggestions of vendors who do a bottom-rolling bifold?
  • Experiences with a top-hung bifold supported by a wood (not steel) beam? Did you have issues over time?
  • Other options I should consider?

Details:

Mockup:

Actual:

Thanks!

Comments (5)