SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

AUGUST FOTESS SWAP: Fables, Fairy & Folk Tales, Legends & Mythology

sandlapper_rose
last year
last modified: last year

You must be a member of this group Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps (FOTESS) in order to participate. If you are not a member but are interested in becoming a member, check with me, Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) about the requirements.

Yes, I think it's hot everywhere! What you send this month will be very simple: a card, handmade or purchased and include a recipe of your choice. Here's where we tie in with the theme – your card or the recipe must relate in some way to a fable, fairy tale, folk tale,legend or mythology. There are plenty of ideas and here's a very simple one if you are too hot to think – Jack and the Beanstalk; but if you are NOT TOO HOT to think, please surprise your partner. Inside your card tell how the card or the recipe relates to a fable, fairy tale, folk tale legend or mythology. It would be great if your card or recipe relate to gardens or nature, but it's not necessary – just relate your card or the recipe in some way to a fable, fairy tale, folk tale,legend or mythology.

Please sign up for the swap by Aug. 7

Then I will match partners.

Please mail by Aug. 20.

Post here when you mail and when you receive.

There will be two games this month that will relate to our theme and a chance for an extra prize. All members of FOTESS are welcome to join in on the games even if you can't swap this month. Just join in when the games are posted. As always we are happy when you post any gardneing information or pictures or things you would like to share with others in the group.

Of course I will be joining in on the swap!

Comments (108)

• beth_b_kodiak
    last year

ME too. Mailed yesterday and old favorite recipe,but perfect for my choice of folktale/fable.

• amybabyboy3
    last year

Jeanne, Your card went out yesterday. Take care, Amy

• beth_b_kodiak
    last year

Ok, yes it does sound a bit like a small circus. LOL

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry to be so late posting Bingo.

Today it's Goldilocks and the 3 Bears

I'll try to post some more questions for us this week before the month finishes up.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Today's Bingo word is Apollo.

Apollo has been recognized as a god of archery, music and dance, truth and prophecy, healing and diseases, the Sun and light, poetry, and more - one of the most important and complex of the Greek gods,

• brittneysgran
    last year

Goodness almost missed the fun all month again. I hired two gardeners again but they didn't last long so it's poor me pulling weeds and cutting back plants.

My card is going out tomorrow to Beth, Sorry Ms. Beth.

• beth_b_kodiak
    last year

Absolutely no problem. I love mail any day of the year. Thanks.

I have had the same deal with trying to hire garden helpers the past two years. My last good helper graduated and got a "Real Job". Not much better with carpenters or contractors.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Jeanne sends to Shirley - Sent

Shirley sends to Beth - Sent

Beth sends to Annie - Sent

Annie sends to Amy - Sent

Amy sends to Jeanne - Sent

No problem, Shirley. Yes, in so many areas it's hard to get the help we need. I've been waiting 3 weeks to hear back from the handyman I've used in the past. Always so much to do around the house and yard.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Bingo word for today, something we all need: The Fountain of Youth

I'm going to try to put together one more word game for us later today. Things have gotten crazier at my house. I got the new cat out of her "room" this morning to clean up in there and haven't been able to get back in. She is quicker to dash out the door than I can close it on her. The first cat is out of her room and roaming around. I had my dog out as well earlier but for now she is shut in the bedroom. It's likely to be an interesting day.

• brittneysgran
    last year

Jeanne thank you for my beautiful card, Recipe Baked Pears with Walnuts and Honey (Sounds Yummy) and the story about The Gardener and the aged Tree. You make the most beautiful cards.

• brittneysgran
    last year

My glads are blooming

• beth_b_kodiak
    last year

So beautiful. I have not had Glads in YEARS. Since before moving to Alaska at least.. I'll need to get some to try again next year. Do you dig them each fall?

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

What beautiful glads, Shirley! Thanks for posting the pictures. I had some in Lexington and those in the backyard would bloom but not the ones in the front. I bought some to plant here and I think it's shadier than they like. Foliage came up but I doubt I will see any blooms. It's good the yard was planted as nicely as it is because I haven't had much luck when I try to add additional plants. Also, glad your card and recipe arrived there.

I received mine from Amy today. Amy sent a card I can use to write out a recipe, some butterfly stickers and the recipe for Hansel and Grettle's Crispy Oven Fried Chicken. Sounds delicious and I will definitely try it. Thanks, Amy.

Still watching over the 2 cats I have here and my dog. They are a combination of confused, excited and scared. My comment on the foster cat I started with 2 months ago is that she wants to run away from home --- and she would hardly leave her room before. Now she watches for me to go in or out with the dog and wants to make a dash out the door. The new kitty no longer wants to get shut in her room and she's quicker than I am. Finally got her in there so I could go to the grocery store. Hopefully things will settle down. I forgot that I signed up for a Zoom writing class this evening so I'm heading downstairs for my dinner so I can get back on the computer in time. First time I've tried this class which is through the local library.

• canyonwind
    last year

Beth, thank you..."A nice easy and tasty recipe from  the "Little Red Hen", who did it all by herself" It being the making of homemade bread...love it! I will be making this bread recipe.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

I love the story of The Little Red Hen!

Here's our last word game. I looked for fruit or vegetables that were found in fables, fairy & folk tales, legends and mythology. You can guess up to 3 words per day and the first person to get them right gets the point. This is simply the letters of the word scrambled. Should be pretty easy. Guess today if you like and you can guess again tomorrow as long as all 8 have not already been guessed correctly.

1. aep
    2. agrep
    3. capeh
    4. aben
    5. pleap
    6. mukippn
    7. hreycr
    8. mersipnom

• amybabyboy3
    last year

1. pea

2. grape

4. bean

• canyonwind
    last year

3. peach

5. apple

6. pumpkin

8. persimmon

Amy, I left #7 for you...haha!!

• amybabyboy3
    last year

Annie, My lovely butterfly and gem adorned card arrived today with two great recipes. Zeus burgers and Aphrodite’s love potion! Also, cu cute butterfly stickers. Thank you so much!

Annie, My son Garrett is working toward a degree in the computer field. This is his 3rd year. We will always remember your prayers and Holy water that you sent when he was 16 and having surgery. He will be 22 on August 29th! Take care and thank you again! Amy

• amybabyboy3
    last year

• canyonwind
    last year

Amy, oh my goodness!!! It has been 6 years......my brain tells me it has been 2 or 3 years. I think of your son often. And I have always loved his name. Good wishes to Garret!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

3 points for Amy and 3 points for Annie. (Annie, you did not get 4 because of how the rules are written.) Today is a new day! #7 and 8 can be guessed.

Scores right now:

Beth 4

Amy 11

Annie 13

The Bingo word for today is Rip Van Winkle

I've always enjoyed that story. When I was a child we used to drive through the Catskill Mountains and I could picture the events.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Jeanne sends to Shirley - Received

Shirley sends to Beth - Received

Beth sends to Annie - Received

Annie sends to Amy - Received

Amy sends to Jeanne - Received

**** The recipes and cards are so creative! ****

• canyonwind
    last year

Jeanne, I blew it....so sorry about posting 4 answers!! I remember reading 3 answers per day but then I forgot it.....I will let someone else take that #4 guess today....LOL!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Amy, Annie, Beth?

Today is a new day! #7 and 8 can be guessed.

• amybabyboy3
    last year

7. cherry

8. persimmon

• brittneysgran
    last year

Beth no I don't dig up my glads. Years ago I quit digging up any bulbs and they always come up.

7. Cherry

8. Persimmon

• beth_b_kodiak
    last year

Thanks Shirley. In MD I could get away with not digging, but not in PA.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

2 more points for Amy and that concludes the guessing game with a tie between Amy and Annie so you will both get a prize. Let's see who pulls off the win for Bingo. We should be getting close to the end.

Thanks for guessing, Shirley and you did get your answers right. It's just the points were cumulative so the game is now ended. Wish I had jotted down which fairy tale or story had each of the fruits and vegetables listed, but maybe you figured it out. The persimmon was one I didn't know. Cherry is from the story of George Washington cutting down the cherry tree and there is a well-known legend in Japan I believe about a "peach boy".

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

I'm not sure I remembered to post a Bingo word yesterday.

Here is the one for today: ARIES. Check your lists, I think we may have Bingo now.

• canyonwind
    last year

BINGO.....LOL!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Congratulations, Annie!

Everyone has been so cooperative this month and I always have fun hosting the swap and the games. Just one more card to arrive. Things sure went smoothly. Feel free to keep posting. I need to look at who signed up as hostess for September.

• amybabyboy3
    last year

Congratulations Annie!

Jeanne, Thank you for a fun swap! amy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Ruth will be posting the follow up to her earlier swap for September. I'll be excited to see these!

As for August, I'll try to get the prizes mailed out this week and will post when something is on its way. All of a sudden the temperature and humidity seem to have gone way up as of today. Sounds like I won't be outside much.

For those who are wondering about the outcome from my Foster to Adopt cat, I have decided to keep the one I've had here for a little over 2 months. Her name is Delilah. She is now officially adopted. The rescue place was so kind and let me try a second cat here this past week. She was the friendliest and cutest cat ever, but Delilah hated her and Samantha was really afraid of my dog so I decided best to leave things like they are. (The second cat's name was Samantha.) She has gone back to her foster home. All of us loved her. My daughter even said if she was willing to go up to 3 cats, she would adopt her. She played great with the granddaughters and loved to be petted, purring like crazy. All I can say is Delilah bonded with me and the dog more during the week (it was like she knew she didn't want to give up her home) and I've signed up to take classes the next few months and really need to have a settled situation between the two pets I have here. It could have taken months for Samantha to like the dog and it might not even ever happen. I can leave Delilah and Sydney alone together and they behave and no one gets hurt and the house stays in order so that's pretty good way to have things.

Enjoy your day!

• canyonwind
    last year

Jeanne, wonderful month of fables, folk tales, legends and mythology. Thank you very much.

• brittneysgran
    last year

Goodness can't believe Beth's card has not arrived.

• beth_b_kodiak
    last year

So sorry, Shirley. I was at a conference over the weekend and card arrived while I was gone. The this AM, I had appointments and lab tests.......so. Here I am late!

I enjoyed looking your chosen fable up, The fisherman and the small fish. It is a good one and reminds me of a saying from and old Boss many years ago. "A little bit of something is more than a whole lot of nothing."

The recipe is for some yummy sounding Caramel Apple cookies. I plan to try these as soon as I can get some caramels. Sounds like the perfect treat for fall.

Thanks Shirley. Sorry for the delay,but, we are still wrapped up by the end of the month. It was a fun swap as I love the fairy tales and fables.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

What a pretty card! Now our August swap is complete.

• brittneysgran
    last year

Beth so happy you got it. I was thinking of sending another.

Jeanne thanks for all you did this month hosting. It's such a busy time cleaning up flower beds and when you have 35 it never seems to end.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Just letting you know I have the little gifts for the prize winners, but that it's the holiday weekend, they won't get mailed until Tues. or Wed.

Enjoy this weekend!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

I haven't gotten the prizes mailed yet. I came down with a "cold" and have been staying in just in case ... my COVID test kits are expired but show as negative when I take the test. However, they say not to use them if they are expired so I don't know. Hopefully I'll feel up to going out a little by tomorrow.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Finally feeling almost back to normal. Never had COVID - just a virus but I've stayed in for days just in case. Sure don't want to pass along any germs to those I see in person (or by mail).

• lufurl1949
    last year

same here Sand I Have been down with Pneumonia for over 3 wks Had to sleep sitting up Living on Jello & Water . sure hope others don't get it , was trying to find your sept post but not sure how on here any more .

• Beth Brownberry
    last year

The new system is confusing for sure

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Prizes were sent today. I hope you enjoy getting some mail.

• amybabyboy3
    last year

Jeanne, Thank you so much for the cute cherry card and adorable pup notebooks. They are the perfect size for me to use for my grocery and to do lists. Thank you for hosting this month. Have a great fall! Amy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, that was quick delivery! Thanks for letting me know they arrived.

• canyonwind
    last year

Jeanne, your package arrived...I have people over. I will open it tomorrow and post after I open. Thank you much!!

• canyonwind
    last year

Jeanne, thank you for the Aesop's Fables book and ribbon......wonderful month!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Glad your items arrived quickly, too, Annie.