FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

AUGUST FOTESS SWAP: Fables, Fairy & Folk Tales, Legends & Mythology

sandlapper_rose
16 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

You must be a member of this group Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps (FOTESS) in order to participate. If you are not a member but are interested in becoming a member, check with me, Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) about the requirements.

Yes, I think it's hot everywhere! What you send this month will be very simple: a card, handmade or purchased and include a recipe of your choice. Here's where we tie in with the theme – your card or the recipe must relate in some way to a fable, fairy tale, folk tale,legend or mythology. There are plenty of ideas and here's a very simple one if you are too hot to think – Jack and the Beanstalk; but if you are NOT TOO HOT to think, please surprise your partner. Inside your card tell how the card or the recipe relates to a fable, fairy tale, folk tale legend or mythology. It would be great if your card or recipe relate to gardens or nature, but it's not necessary – just relate your card or the recipe in some way to a fable, fairy tale, folk tale,legend or mythology.

Please sign up for the swap by Aug. 7

Then I will match partners.

Please mail by Aug. 20.

Post here when you mail and when you receive.

There will be two games this month that will relate to our theme and a chance for an extra prize. All members of FOTESS are welcome to join in on the games even if you can't swap this month. Just join in when the games are posted. As always we are happy when you post any gardneing information or pictures or things you would like to share with others in the group.

Of course I will be joining in on the swap!

Comments (47)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

If you are a group member and want to play BINGO, send your Bingo words to me by Aug. 5. I'll begin to draw them the next day. You can send them by message or email. The first person to have all of their Bingo words called and post it here will be the winner.

Send me a list of 12 of the following choices by Aug. 5.

Apollo

Aries

Aristaeus

Ashey Pelt

Ceres

Flora

Goldilocks and the 3 Bears

La Befana

Lady Godiva

Neptune

Pomona

Rip Van Winkle

Snow White

The Dragon of Krakow

The Fountain of Youth

The Fox and the Grapes

The Gardener and the Aged Tree

The Grasshopper and the Ant

The Ivy and the Thyme

The North Wind and the Sun

The Teapot

The Three Little Pigs

Thumbelina

Wu Gang

Zeus

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 days ago

SHORT ANSWER GAME

The second game will be a short answer type game where your answers will relate to our fable, fairy tale, folk tale, legend or mythology theme. I'll post a few questions several times each week and the first person to post the correct answer to a question will get one point for each correct answer. We will continue to add points as we go through the month. If towards the end of the month this results in a tie with two or more people, I'll post another question to see if we break the tie; and if not, I will draw a name from those with the highest scores.

Questions will begin to be posted early in August.

• beth_b_kodiak
    15 days ago

Great theme. I love folk tales, legends, fables and the historic "work songs" Like Clementine and I've been Working on the Railroad, or John Henry and Erie Canal........ really gets my thoughts going here.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Glad you can join in, Beth. I hope it will be lots of fun.

• brittneysgran
    13 days ago

Sign me up please!

• amybabyboy3
    13 days ago

I would like to join in please!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Short Answer Questions - 1st

You can answer one or more - even all - the first person to get the answer to a question right will get the point for it and the game and the points will continue for this month. Highest number of points at the end of the month will be our winner!

1. Disney's Tangled is a loose retelling of this tale of a woman with long hair kept in a tower.
    2. Tell briefly what the connection is between Cinderella and Ashey Pelt
    3. Why did Jack climb the beanstalk?
    4. The story of La Befana comes from which country?
    5. In the Grimm's fairy tale about Snow White what is the name of her sister?

Bingo words received from Amy and Shirley.

• amybabyboy3
    12 days ago

1. Rapunzel

2. Ashl Ashley Pelt is a story from Ireland that resembles Cinderella.

3. to get away from the giant

• amybabyboy3
    12 days ago

4. Italy

5.Rose Red

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 days ago

4 points for Amy!

I'm going to wait for a different answer for #3. In the version I consulted, he doesn't encounter a giant until after he climbs the beanstalk. Any other guesses?

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I'll add some more questions over the weekend so you can watch for them..

Anyone else who wants to play Bingo, please sign up by the end of the day tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a good day!

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 days ago

Just read a post one of my homesteading groups. In this poster's growing up days,it was traditional to make "Stone Soup" on hog butchering day. The host family provided fire, kettle of water and the stone. Others brought cabbage, potatoes, onion...whatever they had to contribute to the "Stone Soup"

Since our hog butchering was extended family and nearest neighbors only the "host family"provided the meal. In our situation we usually fed fried chicken, as we had an abundance of chicken and it was one of Mom's "specialties". I liked the idea of the stone soup and hope to remember the idea for future gatherings

. A modern twist on a folk tale I wanted to share......

• SoLovelyLily
    11 days ago

Hey can I join the group this month didn’t see an OBF for August yet😀

• canyonwind
    11 days ago

Jeanne, count me in to swap this month....love the theme.

I will email BINGO selections in a few minutes.

• canyonwind
    11 days ago

Jeanne, just emailed BINGO to you. Let me know if you do not receive. Thanks!!

• canyonwind
    11 days ago

RE: #3....the magic beans Jack's Mom threw outside grew into a giant beanstalk overnight, so little Jack climbed it.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Annie, I'll give you the point for that! I was thinking maybe "curiosity" or something like that, but basically he didn't know what was up there and I guess his motivation may have been they were called magic bean seeds, so it seems that would make him curious enough to climb up there.

Annie, I received your Bingo words. Thanks for joining in.

My plants on the screened porch are pretty pitiful. Maybe the heat or maybe I have not paid enough attention to them. I replanted a few in larger containers this afternoon. I think I'm going to plant a few seeds, too - no telling what they will do getting planted in the 90s in August.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Kim, we will be happy for you to join in! I sent you a message with what information I will need. Just fill that out and send it to me and you are in the group and can swap this month. (And also play the games, too, if you wish).

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Happy Weekend. It's August. It's hot. I think that's the case for almost everyone in the U.S.

Some questions for our points game.

1. In the story "Rip Van Winkle" by Washington Irving, in what mountains did this famous sleeping occur?
    2. You may need to look up the story online to answer this, but in the Hans Christian Anderson story "The Teapot" what is the teapot left with at the end of the story?

I'll post a few more questions over the weekend.

If anyone else in FOTESS wants to play Bingo this month, please get your words to me by the end of the day. So far we have Annie, Amy, and Shirley.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Joining in on the swap so far we have :

Jeanne (me)

Beth

Shirley

Amy

Annie

(Kim, I hope you've seen how to sign up. I messaged you.)

• lufurl1949
    8 days ago

Sandlapper Thank you for the Link & invite since it is hard for me to get out to post office I better not join but love to keep watch of what you all chat about .

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 days ago

from memory I'm going to say the mountains for Rip Van Winkle were the Catskills. Now i'll go check.

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 days ago

The teapot had Chinese tea leaves first and later a flower bulb,good story. Thanks

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

2 points for you, Beth. I was familiar with the Rip Van Winkle story, but I hadn't heard The Teapot story before.

In the story the teapot is very proud of his fine handle and spout, His lid was cracked but he didn't talk about that. The others, however, talked about the cracked lid and over time his handle and his spout broke off and when he was dropped to the floor, the others (cups, saucers, sugar bowl, etc.) laughed at him. He was given to a beggar woman who came to the door. She put a flower bulb in the teapot. The flower was so pretty.

At the end of the story the teapot says, "“One day I heard them say it deserved a better pot. They broke me in two – that really hurt – and the flower was put into a better pot; then they threw me out into the yard, where I lie as an old potsherd. But I have my memory; that I can never lose!”

I waited until today to draw Bingo words in case someone else joined in. You can still sign up for the swap. I will match partners tomorrow. Members can join in on the guessing game at any time.

The first word for BINGO is:

Thumbelina

For some reason I'm really tired today so I have been staying in and resting.

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 days ago

Give yourself a break in this crazy heat. I have done very little the past 3 weeks. By 10:00AM it is too hot outside to even walk to the car. Would not be so bad if it cooled overnight so we could do some chores early.

Now that it has rained...time to mow grass......

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Another question for a point; What is the name of the animal who usually accompanies Paul Bunyan, the strong lumberjack in folklore?

Bingo word for Monday: Neptune

Yes, Beth, I think breaks (sometimes of a day or two) are called for during the heat. I took two days to mow my front lawn and still wore out from doing it. Hoping by tomorrow I will be back to normal.

• canyonwind
    7 days ago

Babe the Blue Ox accompanied Paul.

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 days ago

been out mowing already. This is possibly the coolest day in 3 weeks and I don't want to miss my chance.

Also,, I am taking a class two mornings this week on Brain Health. That sounded useful. LOL it would have been useful 50 years ago too but this is my first awareness of it.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

You get the point for Babe, Annie!

Beth, like you I am thinking classes and I have signed up for lots of them. I just found a series on writing and they are through the library with Zoom. Sometimes I do okay with Zoom and sometimes not, so we'll see how it goes. I've also signed up for a lot through the local senior center. One is this Wednesday so I'll let you know how it goes. Still concerned about COVID for attending things in person but I will give it a try as long as it's a smaller class and a short time period (or if it's outdoors - I did find a compost workshop that will be outdoors.)

Let us know what you think of the Brain Health class, Beth.

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 days ago

a compost workshop would be good. Went to one years ago (pre covid) sponsored by Mother Earth News and enjoyed seeing a variety of different techniques. I am still very "covid concious" and avoid crowded places even out doors.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Bingo word for today: SNOW WHITE

Also a chance for up to 5 points: Here is a short summary taken from mythology. There are 5 blanks. After each blank you will have two choices. Select the correct one and complete the legend. As usually 1 point for each answer for the first person to get the answer right.

In ________________(Greek or Roman) mythology ___________(Gorgons or Sarpedons) were _____ (extremely tall or winged) females living with __________ (frogs or snakes) in place of hair. Medusa was one who is commonly called to mind. Those who gazed into her eyes would turn to _______ (stone or dust).

Here's an example. A banana is _____ (yellow or red) when it's ripe.

Of course you would say A banana is yellow when it's ripe.

... Now for PARTNERS ...

Jeanne sends to Shirley

Shirley sends to Beth

Beth sends to Annie

Annie sends to Amy

Amy sends to Jeanne

I believe it was Annie who sent me some lemon grass seeds recently. I've never even gotten any to grow before and look at these seeds taking off!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Today's Bingo word: The Grasshopper and the Ant

I was going to write a few words about the point to this story, but when I went to Wikipedia, there was a lengthy discussion of various versions of the story. So if you are really curious, you can read through the comments there. Have a great day!

• beth_b_kodiak
    5 days ago

Grasshopper and the ant is one of my favorites. But< did we just skip over the fill in the blanks from yesterday?

I'm going to say 1) sharpedons 2)tall)3 snakes 4)stone.

I'm sending to Annie and that is always fun. Trying a new recipe for church. If it is a hit,That is the recipe I'll send.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    4 days ago

I thought for sure I had posted something about this. Maybe one of those times when the message just didn't show up. That has happened to others. We continue. Beth has guessed 2 of them.

In ________________(Greek or Roman) mythology ___________(Gorgons or Sarpedons) were _____ (extremely tall or winged) females living with __________ (frogs or snakes) in place of hair. Medusa was one who is commonly called to mind. Those who gazed into her eyes would turn to _______ (stone or dust).

Beth, you get 2 points for SNAKES and STONE. 3 more to be guessed and pretty easy at this point. Beth, you or anyone else can guess at the 3 answers that are left.

(If someone else did post before Beth, let me know what you guessed and I will give you points also. As I said, I thought I had seen a response prior to this one, but maybe my imagination.)

• canyonwind
    4 days ago

GREEK

GORGONS

WINGED

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    3 days ago

3 points for Annie and we now have all of the Medusa questions answered. See you with a Bingo word tomorrow and I'll come up with some more questions for the weekend.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Our Bingo word for today is: LA BEFANA

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

I came back to post one of the guessing games. Just like before, first person with the right answer gets a point and you can guess 1 or more of the 7 words that need to be unscrambled. These are all animated Disney characters but I tried to pick them so that you might also know them from a book, fairy tale, fable, movie, or mythology. Good luck.

1. SELACHLI
    2. TEARIHDOPT
    3. ICUDP
    4. INMREL
    5. CHOIOPCIN
    6. LAPOOL
    7. ANIHD

If I've counted correctly, with none of these questions guessed yet the score is:

Amy 4

Beth 4

Annie 7

Please let me know if I missed adding a point that you should have received.

• canyonwind
    3 days ago

#3 CUPID

#4 MERLIN

#5 PINNOCHIO

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Those 3 are correct, Annie. You are welcome to guess more tomorrow if you like and we'll see if anyone else chimes in. The cooler and less humid weather here feels so good. I'll try to do some more cleaning out and organizing in the garage tomorrow if it doesn't get too hot.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Today's BINGO word is FLORA.

Flora was the Roman goddess of spring and flowering plants, especially wildflowers and plants not raised for food. She was shown as a beautiful young woman in a long, flowing dress with flowers in her hair, strewing flowers over the earth.

• amybabyboy3
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

6. Apollo

2. Aphrodite

• amybabyboy3
    yesterday

1.Achilles

• amybabyboy3
    yesterday

7. Dinah

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

This is so strange. I know I posted earlier that all of Amy's answers are correct. Today's Bingo word is The Teapot.

Hopefully you'll see this here once if not twice.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

Monday's Bingo word is Aristaeus.

Aristaeus was the rustic god of shepherds and cheesemaking, beekeeping, honey and honey-mead, olive growing and oil milling, medicinal herbs, hunting, and the Etesian winds which provided some respite from the scorching heat of midsummer. His name was derived from the Greek word aristos, "most excellent" or "most useful."